DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-07-12 06:29:37

rknopf

DNS-321 - can't format new drive

I have a couple DNS-321s - both running firmware 1.03 which is more or less the equivalent of 1.08 for the DNS-323.  On my second unit I had been running one disk in the LEFT drive (mistakenly thinking it was bay 1 of 2, or 0 depending on your sequential numbering proclivities...but I digress).  All drives in question are 1.5Tb Seagate Barracudas, which had been verified to have the correct firmware to deal with the 94% formatting issue etc etc.  I couple weeks ago I picked up a 4th drive and yesterday tried to add it.  Of course lots of stuff broke because now /ffp was on the second drive.  Once I figured everything out I swapped the drives and everything corrected itself except for one problem: whenever I try to format the new drive it gets anywhere from 0% to 5% and then reports Error:112 and asks to reboot the unit.  I am keeping this unit as JBOD (ie no RAID).  One curious thing is that on the diagnostics page it offers a scanddisk operation and the only available option for volume is "Volume_2".  If I had been able to format this new drive when it was originally in the right bay I would now suspect that having the first drive in the left bat and putting the new one in the right bay first might be involved in the problem, but it seems unlikely.  Still....

I ran the disk diagnostics in the Admin web interface and both drives pass.  Any thoughts as to what is wrong and what I can do to fix it?  I do not have a different system to put the new drive in to check, but could surely find one somewhere amongst my friends.  I was hoping that maybe it was something I had done that can somehow be undone.  While I would not be happy to format the original first drive, its all backup to the first DNS-321 and I can do that again.  If I could format the new drive at the Linux level I would but my deep expertise in UNIX from 15 years ago has faded to just barely keeping up with Linux so if that it an option I would appreciate a step-by-step procedure.  So much has changed (not complaining, merely an observation)!

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Roger

Board footer