DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2010-09-14 01:19:09

jcard

Re: Alt-F-0.1B3 released

gazsiazasz wrote:

jcard wrote:

gazsiazasz wrote:

please repair the "network link auto-negotiation" error
i have a 10/100 sw  smile

That doesn't depends on me, its a kernel bug.

The last kernel where 100Mbps works, for the dns323, is 2.6.26.8; for 2.6.27.53 and latter it does not works anymore.
I think it is related with MII versus PHYLIB and driver changing from version 1.3 to 1.4.
2.6.27 introduced lots of modifications to the marvel driver, and 2.6.27 itself was a mess (53 fixes!)

I have to make a bug report.

Okok smile but the dns323 with debian squeeze 2.6.32 kernel worked with my sw 2weeks ago.
And one week ago with the latest update (2.6.32-5?) begins dont working on 10/100

sorry for my bad english

okok for you too smile

I'm talking of vanilla kernels: 2.6.25.20 and 2.6.26.8 worked fine, 2.6.27.53, 2.6.28.10 and latter (2.6.33, 2.6.34 and 2.6.35, at least) didn't work.

Other reports about this issue on the DNS323 also say that 100mbps doesn't work on recent kernels.

Debian kernels have some patches applied, and are configured for wide/generic usage, they are "fat". For Alt-F I want a "thin" kernel, and thus I might have left out some necessary options.
But the fact that 2.6.25.20 and 2.6.26.8 worked fine with a striped-down Alt-F configuration, makes me believe that the issue is not that.

How do I test this: after compiling a vanilla kernel and booting it on the DNS-323, and after configuring the network, it works OK when connected to my gigabit switch.

Then, I issue "ethtool -s eth0 advertise 0x008" (100mbps/full) , and I see the switch leds turning off and then on again, signaling a good 100mbps link; "ethtool eth0" also reports a good working link. However, the box can't ping or be pinged.
dmesg shows a driver message saying "1000bps!:

Code:

# ethtool -s eth0 advertise 0x008
eth0: link down
# eth0: link up, 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, flow control enabled # this comes from the eth0 driver!
# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                                1000baseT/Full 
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  100baseT/Full 
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 8
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Link detected: yes

The, I issue a "ethtool -s eth0 advertise 0x002" (10mbps/full) and the switch leds shows a established 10mbps connection, as well as "ethtool eth0", but again no ping/pinged.

Then I issue a "ethtool -s eth0 advertise 0x020" (1gbps/full) and the switch leds shows 1gbps connection, and ping (and others) work again.

With the 2.6.25.20 and 2.6.26.8 kernels, I don't even need to use ethtool, I just unplug the network cable, connect it directly to my 100mbps laptop and it works fine; unplug and replug to the 1gbps switch and it works again at 1gbps.

I don't want to go into great details here, but the problem is the communication between the driver and the PHY.

If some knowledge guy can figure it out, it would be great, but networking at the chip level is a complicated matter and is out of my knowledge.

But I might be wrong (hmmm... smile

Please consider discussing Alt-F at http://groups.google.com/group/alt-f/topics
Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#27 2010-09-14 01:24:04

jcard

haim wrote:

Haha, sorry to jump the gun folks.   Tried another reboot and the magical 'once' only setting has worked a treat.  Back into standard firmware.  Also noted that this time the .tar has extracted all the files. 

Have tried running from the terminal, but it just turns off ssh (kicks me off) and then no other difference I can see.

I'll play around a bit more and see if I can work it out smile  First the kids need to get off to bed though.....harder to work out!

You can also try telnet.

If you have used the same ssh client to connect with the box under ffp, it might have stored the host identification, and when you use it again to connect with Alt-F, that generated a new host-id, the client sees a different host id and closes the connection, as it thinks that someone is forging the box IP. Try cleaning the client host-id "cache"

Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#28 2010-09-18 10:18:19

haim

Hi again,

Have played a bit more.  Tried starting via telnet, as guest and as root.  Still not working for me.  Only log I get is

Stopping sshd
Stopping telnetd
$Shutting down SMB services:
$Shutting down NMB services:
PID   USER     COMMAND
    1 root     init                               
    2 root     [ksoftirqd/0]
    3 root     [events/0]
    4 root     [khelper]
    5 root     [kthread]
   11 root     [kblockd/0]
   14 root     [khubd]
   49 root     [pdflush]
   52 root     [aio/0]
  189 root     [scsi_eh_0]
   51 root     [kswapd0]
  190 root     [scsi_eh_1]
  197 root     [mtdblockd]
  214 root     [kcryptd/0]
  215 root     [kmirrord/0]
  226 root     [loop0]
1391 root     chkbutton
1446 root     fancontrol 0
1468 root     -sh
1641 root     mDNSResponder
1642 root     mDNSResponder
1644 root     mDNSResponder
1938 root     [pdflush]
2184 root     /ffp/bin/sh
5134 root     sh
5143 root     -sh
5176 root     /bin/sh ./alt-f.sh
5343 root     ps
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:        61812        52252         9560            0        13052
Swap:       530104            0       530104
Total:       591916        52252       539664

This doesn't look particularly bad, however afterwards there is no contact with the NAS, can't ping, telnet, ssh, or via browser.  Won't shut down by clicking power button and have to pull the plug.

I'm starting it by having alf-f tar and the .sh file in my Volume_1, then running the .sh file.  I have ffp installed.

Any guesses as to where I'm going wrong?

#29 2010-09-19 22:35:37

jcard

Hi,

Odd, I have already posted a reply... how has it been losts?

haim wrote:

Hi again,
1641 root     mDNSResponder
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:        61812        52252         9560            0        13052

-Low on memory, have you tried alt-f right after booting the box?
-Do you have a 100mbps or a gigabyte switch/router? Alt-F only works with GB sw/routers
-To see if Alt-F has has successefully booted, press and *keep* pressing the front button; does the right led starts flashing? and then the left one? If not, Alt-F has not booted.
-If Alt-F has booted, it stores a file called alt-f.log on the root of each filesystem it founds; can you post it, if it exists?

Thanks,
Joao

#30 2010-09-19 23:48:12

haim

Hi again,

That was the complete contents of the alt-f.log that I posted.  That was on /mnt/HD_a2, I only have one disk in there.

Hmmm....i have stopped optware script from running, but haven't checked to see what is actually running after boot.  Perhaps there are some bits and pieces loading up anyway and so there isn't enough memory to complete the 'reload'.  Is there any error i can see if this is the case?

Have just bought a dlink 655 router so should be gigabit now as required.

I'll take a look tomorrow at the memory usage, bit late tonight smile

Thanks for the patience and replies Jcard

Hamish

#31 2010-09-20 00:59:07

jcard

haim wrote:

Hi again,

That was the complete contents of the alt-f.log that I posted.  That was on /mnt/HD_a2, I only have one disk in there.

You have posted the contents of altf-reload.log, that's the log that fun_plug produces.
When Alt-F boots it produces another log file, alt-f.log. The alt-f.log file was introduced in 0.1B3.

Hmmm....i have stopped optware script from running, but haven't checked to see what is actually running after boot.  Perhaps there are some bits and pieces loading up anyway and so there isn't enough memory to complete the 'reload'.  Is there any error i can see if this is the case?

The ps command output that you posted shows that there are no "strange" things running. But to be safer it is always better to try to reload alt-f after a box reboot.

Have just bought a dlink 655 router so should be gigabit now as required.

I think that ffp has ethtool; to be sure that you have a gigabit enabled/established link, try running the command "ethtool eth0".
[Edited: If the vendor's network driver doesn't support ethtool, as I think, the above will not work.]

Last edited by jcard (2010-09-20 03:52:32)

#32 2010-09-22 23:50:50

haim

Well the ifconfig gives

hmm# ifconfig
egiga0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:24:01:13:F1:26 
          inet addr:192.168.0.102  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:8890 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:9103 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:512
          RX bytes:844385 (824.5 KiB)  TX bytes:1271960 (1.2 MiB)
          Interrupt:21

Don't know if the giga name actually means it's linked at giga and not 100....

Where should the alft_f.log file be?  I don't get one at the same place as the reload log.

#33 2010-09-24 20:29:00

jcard

haim wrote:

Well the ifconfig gives

hmm# ifconfig
egiga0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:24:01:13:F1:26 
          inet addr:192.168.0.102  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:8890 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:9103 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:512
          RX bytes:844385 (824.5 KiB)  TX bytes:1271960 (1.2 MiB)
          Interrupt:21

Don't know if the giga name actually means it's linked at giga and not 100....

The *name* probably means that it is gigabit capable, it doesn't means that the established link is.
I'm afraid I don't know how to determine, through software and using the vendors firmware, if the established link is or not Gbps.
But as you said that you are using a gigabit  router, unless the cabling is defective you are OK.

Routers/switches usually report the link speed using the led associated with each network port. On my sw, a green led means 1Gbps, a yellow led a 100mbps and no led a 10mbps link speed.

Where should the alft_f.log file be?  I don't get one at the same place as the reload log.

If you can't find it in the same place where altf-reload.log is (alt-f-reloaded.log in 0.1B4), that means that Alt-F has not booted.

I rewrote the HowToInstall wiki entry, please read it and report back
http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/wiki/HowToInstall

Last edited by jcard (2010-09-24 20:29:57)

#34 2010-09-24 21:35:34

haim

Just a question on the instructions...

-a) Just want to try Alt-F once:
    download Alt-F-<version>.tar and fun_plug, rename run_plug to, e.g,
    alt-f.sh, put them in your box root directory, and call alt-f.sh from
    the shell.

Thats a typo right?  rename the Fun_plug to ....

2-If you find the alt-f-reloaded.log file, but not a alt-f.sh file, then
  Alt-F didn't boot (step 2-b) in the Installation Details above).
  Read the file, look for obvious errors and try to correct them; if
  asking for help, post the file contents.
  One of the more common problems during the 1-b) step in the Installation
  Details above is lack of free memory. If you are using ffp, run Alt-F
  right after rebooting your box.

Now i'm confused, it's creating a alt-f.sh file?  If I followed the earier step then I've already made an alt-f.sh file.  Is that then my problem, that in the first instance it hsould have been called something else?
Or do you actually mean alt-f.LOG file?

I'll try to check the lights and other things, and try the new B4 soon, bit busy with sorting out the house for my parents visit (they come a long way to visit).

Thanks

Haim

#35 2010-09-25 00:20:24

pnin

Nothing much to add, appart from deep respect and a commendation of my fellow countryman for the awesome work done on the development of alt-f. cool

P.S.: I already made a comment at the site, vouching for a way to get it on USB. Is that possible?

#36 2010-09-25 03:49:06

jcard

haim wrote:

Just a question on the instructions...

-a) Just want to try Alt-F once:
    download Alt-F-<version>.tar and fun_plug, rename run_plug to, e.g,
    alt-f.sh, put them in your box root directory, and call alt-f.sh from
    the shell.

Thats a typo right?  rename the Fun_plug to ....

I meant "rename the downloaded fun_plug to"

2-If you find the alt-f-reloaded.log file, but not a alt-f.sh file, then
  Alt-F didn't boot (step 2-b) in the Installation Details above).
  Read the file, look for obvious errors and try to correct them; if
  asking for help, post the file contents.
  One of the more common problems during the 1-b) step in the Installation
  Details above is lack of free memory. If you are using ffp, run Alt-F
  right after rebooting your box.

Now i'm confused, it's creating a alt-f.sh file?

You are right. I meant "creating a alt-f.log file"

If I followed the earier step then I've already made an alt-f.sh file.  Is that then my problem, that in the first instance it hsould have been called something else?
Or do you actually mean alt-f.LOG file?

I'll try to check the lights and other things, and try the new B4 soon, bit busy with sorting out the house for my parents visit (they come a long way to visit).

Thanks

Haim

Thanks for pointing out the typos. I have already fixed them in the wiki.

[Added] I need more reviewers, please.

Have a nice weekend with your parents.

Thanks,
Joao

Last edited by jcard (2010-09-25 03:52:26)

#37 2010-09-25 04:31:24

jcard

pnin wrote:

Nothing much to add, appart from deep respect and a commendation of my fellow countryman for the awesome work done on the development of alt-f. cool

Thanks.

P.S.: I already made a comment at the site, vouching for a way to get it on USB. Is that possible?

I didn't found or recollect your message ;-)

Why do you want Alt-F on USB?

Alt-F, without extra Alt-F packages and even if not flashed, runs entirely on RAM(*), like the vendor's firmware and unlike ffp or debian. It only uses the disk if it finds a swap partition on it.

If you are using ffp, you can put the fun_plug script and tar file on an usb pen or disk and reload it from there, although I have not tried it. But I can see no point in doing that...

If you are not using ffp, then the fun_plug script has to be in the root of the disk filesystem, and the script has to be modified to extract/load Alt-f to/from a usb pen or disk. But again, I see no advantage...

Also, after booting (or reloaded), if Alt-F finds a ffp directory in the root of any disk filesystem, including a usb pen or disk, it "uses" it.

Joao

(*) Some might say that RAM is precious, and they are right.

#38 2010-09-28 01:44:48

pnin

So sorry for the late reply, but haven't been checking the forum.

jcard wrote:

pnin wrote:

[...] Why do you want Alt-F on USB?

I have fun_plug installed with a few services (lighttpd, transmission) running more or less OK but, as you can easily guess, I'm not very proficient as a Linux tweaker; so I thought I would start trying alt-f by just popping in a pen with the necessary alt-f setup and it would run off the pen until I rebooted, and by removing the pen I would have my previous setup back. When I felt confident enough, I would then install alt-f. I guess the logic here is somewhat similar to a LiveCD.

Alt-F, without extra Alt-F packages and even if not flashed, runs entirely on RAM(*), like the vendor's firmware and unlike ffp or debian. It only uses the disk if it finds a swap partition on it.

If you are using ffp, you can put the fun_plug script and tar file on an usb pen or disk and reload it from there, although I have not tried it. But I can see no point in doing that...

I have been meaning to move my fun_plug to usb, but one way or the other never got to the point of actually doing it, because of unresolved issues or basic fogginess on my part...

If you are not using ffp, then the fun_plug script has to be in the root of the disk filesystem, and the script has to be modified to extract/load Alt-f to/from a usb pen or disk. But again, I see no advantage...

Think LiveCD again...

Also, after booting (or reloaded), if Alt-F finds a ffp directory in the root of any disk filesystem, including a usb pen or disk, it "uses" it.

Glad to know that, another bit to lessen my fog. big_smile

#39 2010-09-28 05:19:29

jcard

pnin wrote:

So sorry for the late reply, but haven't been checking the forum.

jcard wrote:

pnin wrote:

[...] Why do you want Alt-F on USB?

I have fun_plug installed with a few services (lighttpd, transmission) running more or less OK but, as you can easily guess, I'm not very proficient as a Linux tweaker; so I thought I would start trying alt-f by just popping in a pen with the necessary alt-f setup and it would run off the pen until I rebooted, and by removing the pen I would have my previous setup back. When I felt confident enough, I would then install alt-f. I guess the logic here is somewhat similar to a LiveCD.

The way DLink designed it, a file named fun_plug has always to exists in the root directory of a hard disk. It doesn't matter if it is ffp or Alt-F or any other add-on.
It is the DLink software that deliberately runs the fun_plug executable file, no black-magic involved here. And I have to give thanks to DLink for that (DLink didn't told us about that feature, it was fonz that discovered it, but anyway...)

So, the concept of a LiveUSB does not apply.

Of course, one could write a fun_plug script, living on the root directory of the hard disk that, on boot, would look for plugged USB media and, if a fun_plug file where there would run it.
Nice concept, a fun_plug boot loader script -- anybody?

But having Alt-F running "on top", as I call it, of the vendor's firmware, is just the same as running ffp -- it is just a 7MB directory on the disk until its fun_plug file is run. No dangerous flashing is involved at all -- you remove or rename the fun_plug file and on the next reboot you are back to DLink software. Alt-F fun_plug script even has a built-in security mechanism that disables itself after it runs! You have to re-enable it again if you want Alt-F to run again on the next reboot.
The only danger comes if you like Alt-F so much that you decide to flash it smile.

So, for your or any other ffp user scenario, trying Alt-F is just like the first time you tried ffp.
It doesn't touch your disk data or ffp configurations in any way -- remove the alt-f directory and the Alt-F fun_plug file and "you are back".
Not a LiveCD, but close smile

Board footer