DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-06-08 07:23:23

keirgordon

Afraid of losing data! Firmware downgrade!

I was using 1.03, but it seems to have lots of problems, and UPNPAV was working terribly, so I downgraded firmware to 1.02b.

After firmware pushed over and device rebooted, i went to log back in.  It had reverted back to original password settings and when i log in it is asking me to choose a raid type, so that it can format my drives!

I've got a terabyte of data on there, so losing it isn't a good option.  Anyone have any idea what to do here?  Worst case, does is seem plausible to pull the drives and put them in a linux machine? Would it be possible to mount the raid 0 array on a different raid controller?

#2 2007-06-08 07:54:19

keirgordon

Re: Afraid of losing data! Firmware downgrade!

followup:  I was able to get the 1.03 firmware back on it, by finding the URL in my history cache and bypassing the format screen to get into the main configuration pages.  Still same effect tho, it thinks the drives need to be formatted.

Is there anyway for me to break into a shell where perhaps i can manually mount the drives?  I have no prior funplug/modifications on there.

Is it possible for me to add a serial port into the thing and break into a shell perhaps without formatting the drives first to use the funplug method?  I'll go dig around the forums here some more...

#3 2007-06-08 16:14:22

frodo

A linux box is the safest bet. But you will need somewhere to store your data...

Its a software raid so any linux box with SATA controllers should be able to resolve this.

# man mdadm

Last edited by frodo (2007-06-08 16:15:58)

#4 2007-06-08 19:10:29

Fred from NYC

You can access the drives in a Windows PC with the "Ext2 Installable File System for Windows": http://www.fs-driver.org

#5 2007-06-09 08:46:51

keirgordon

frodo wrote:

A linux box is the safest bet. But you will need somewhere to store your data...

Its a software raid so any linux box with SATA controllers should be able to resolve this.

# man mdadm

So I've got my drives in a linux box (actually a knoppix livecd), and I researched mdadm, which seems promising.

Having some issues though, and admittedly I'm not a linux guru (I work for Microsoft!)

When I dmesg, I see this (my two drives from dns-323 are the only drives in the machine)

Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 3350
hda: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03

I don't expect there is anything wrong with the drives, they are simple striped and it doesn't know that, so it clearly can't read them until they are assigned a raid driver of some sort, correct?

I'm clearly having trouble finding the right track here! Any help is much appreciated!!! smile

#6 2007-06-10 00:06:16

keirgordon

Problem solved.

For future googlers,

a ubuntu live cd + apt-get install mdadm

loaded up the array automatically during the mdadm setup script, and all i had to do was run a mount command on MD0.

On a similar note, the geexbox ushare upnpav package works about a dozen times better than the dns-323 server and was also a single command setup.

Board footer