DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-06-11 17:41:10

kerjpl

Auto-restart after power failure ?

I would like to have DNS-323 to restart automatically when power is back after a general power failure.
Is there a possibilty to have an unattended restart on power detection, that is without having to push the start button, as it is possible to do by setting BIOS parameters in a PC ?

#2 2007-06-21 09:33:50

xenyz

Re: Auto-restart after power failure ?

Is this something that D-Link could put in a future firmware or is it a hardware limitation?

Last edited by xenyz (2007-06-21 21:39:23)

#3 2007-06-22 00:36:37

Aaron

From understanding the hardware setup of the DNS-323 I would think this is a hardware limitation.

-Aaron

#4 2007-06-22 08:47:33

ON6LW

Several DNS-323 users have connected their unit to a small UPS.  So did i.
These small units are not expensive, even less than 100 Euro.
It could also be used to power e.g. your modem / router.

#5 2007-06-22 15:16:28

fordem

A UPS is a partial solution - it will only supply power for a short time, and is intended to allow for an orderly shutdown, usally providing no more than 10-15 minutes of additional run time.  In some parts of the world, where daily power outages are common, or, in situations where the cost of the downtime warrants, a UPS can be used to bridge the brief transition between the utility failure and the starting of an emergency or standby generator set.

With a UPS, but without a generator set, either the equipment operator must be on hand to shutdown and restart the equipment, or the equipment must support UPS monitoring and shutdown, and automatic restart would be necessary if unattended operation is desired.

As it currently stands - the DNS-323 does not support UPS monitoring, although I believe this can be added through the fun_plug, using the USB port - most current production UPS models support USB.  Getting to restart would probably require hardware modifications.

#6 2007-06-22 17:54:40

transstilben
Website

I tried the following: I pushed the front button the whole time and then switched on power
(still pushing the front button). The result : nothing happened, the box did not boot.
My idea was to modify the front button so that it is pushed when power comes (back).
But it did not work. I planned to switch the box off over night using one of the
simple time switches which can switch power of i.e. over night, but there seems to be no way.
I do not understand the design concept of this front push button. If anybody does, enlighten me,
please. Seems the box is made for 24/7 usage but if, why this button ?

However a very nice NAS-box and a even more nice forum !

Last edited by transstilben (2007-06-22 17:58:04)

DNS-323 FW1.03, 500GB-Samsung HD, 4-port USB-Hub, Clients: Vista Home Basic 64 bit, XP-Professional

#7 2007-06-22 18:34:55

fordem

This is a network storage server - with most servers, there needs to be a way to do an orderly shutdown to prevent data loss from occuring.  You're running linux, it is customary to unmount the storage before powering down - there are two ways to shut the DNS-323 down, the first being through the web interface and the second through the front panel button (press and hold until the leds start to flash)

If you use a time switch as you propose, and the unit is abruptly powered off without unmounting the disks, you run the risk of data corruption - in fact if you abruptly power it off in the middle of write operation, you virtually guarantee data corruption.

The DNS-323 has a power-save mode that allows the disks to be powered down when not in use, and will spin them up as required - I would suggest you use this rather than powering the unit off and back on as you have in mind - yes - it will use more power, it's your data, it's your choice.

- the front panel button provides a way to do that

#8 2007-06-23 19:33:43

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

fordem wrote:

there are two ways to shut the DNS-323 down, the first being through the web interface and the second through the front panel button (press and hold until the leds start to flash)

There's a third option: scheduled shutdown via cron/at ;-)

#9 2007-06-23 22:24:37

fordem

fonz wrote:

There's a third option: scheduled shutdown via cron/at ;-)

Well - if you're gonna fun_plug - I guess you're gonna have fun.

I meant on the default box.

Board footer