DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#51 2010-11-21 01:46:24

dwmcqueen

Re: Alt-F-0.1B5 has been released

Worked for me - since I was able to telnet in before, I deleted the web-secret and then two boxes appears.  Inputed there and now all is good.

#52 2010-11-21 22:56:14

haim

yes quite right, only the one password entry required smile

#53 2010-11-22 11:52:16

wayrunner

Tests:
- NFS streaming is a bit slow than Conceptronic FW with ffp. Could I change any parameter to test with (rsize, wsize, …) For wired and wireless connection ?
- Minidlna don’t work. I tried with a CFULLHDMA and it works with CH3SNAS Alt-F with NFS and SMB, but upnp dlna is gone.

Questions
- The fan is working all the time, slow, but working, with the hard disks sleeping and the room at 20ºC, is it correct?
- I see shared resources Public RO, Public Write and Users. Can I change it? Or delete it?
- The page to configure users and groups… I don’t see the group created but it is there, I can delete it.
- How can I configure different users for ftp and different folders for each of them?

Thank you much for this FW It’s a great job. Thanks.

#54 2010-11-22 14:21:33

haim

if you go to the google discussion group

http://groups.google.com/group/alt-f

Then you can see the discussion:
     minidlna init script
Where Joao posts a script for minidlna (interim until B6 is release he says).  I used this and it got it going.

#55 2010-11-22 14:31:43

wayrunner

Thanks haim

I'll try it.

Thanks.

#56 2010-11-22 21:07:39

jcard

wayrunner wrote:

Tests:
- NFS streaming is a bit slow than Conceptronic FW with ffp. Could I change any parameter to test with (rsize, wsize, …) For wired and wireless connection ?
- Minidlna don’t work. I tried with a CFULLHDMA and it works with CH3SNAS Alt-F with NFS and SMB, but upnp dlna is gone.

Questions
- The fan is working all the time, slow, but working, with the hard disks sleeping and the room at 20ºC, is it correct?
- I see shared resources Public RO, Public Write and Users. Can I change it? Or delete it?
- The page to configure users and groups… I don’t see the group created but it is there, I can delete it.
- How can I configure different users for ftp and different folders for each of them?

Thank you much for this FW It’s a great job. Thanks.

-About NFS and also samba: In times I had top sustained speeds of more than 22MBps on a Gbyte network, but erratic.
Currently I can't get those speeds, I don't know why.
Also, currently jumbo frames of more than 3700 bytes cause linux to start swapping to disk, effectively degrading performance.
These are issues that I will look-at when I have time.

-You already got an answer to the minidlna issue.
After B6 my plans are to review packages, and as minidlna has a new stable release I will use it (the current minidlna, although working, was a  development cvs checkout)

-The fan runs accordingly to the settings in Services->System->sysctrl->configure.
If uses the box case temperature to set the fan speed. By default it stops the fan when the box case temperature is lower than 38ºC, but you can change that.
Do you have a B1 or C1 board? C1 board fan speed settings is different from B1 boards, and I can't test it, as I have a B1 board. If you have a C1 board perhaps you want to make some testing?

-About shares and users and groups:
Alt-F follows the unix paradigm: a user has a home directory and belongs to a main group and, optionally, to more secondary groups. A directory (folder) belongs to an user and a group, and the directory group permissions says if other members of that group can access, read or write to that directory.
This said, when you create a user, you create a directory for him, and you add it to the group "users". It is up to you to add that user to other groups, and set up a directory that belongs to another group, with several users on it, and setup that directory permissions so that all group members can access/read/write to it.

Alt-F has not yet a web page to manage all that (I had that in mind, but other things got upfront, please keep reminding me)
The users and groups web page only shows users with and id greater than 1000 and groups with an id greater than 100.

The Public directory is, for the moment, the only possibility to share contents between several users, and it can't be changed though the web pages -- you can always do what you want by using the command line)
The Public directory currently has a read only sub-directory and a read/write sub-directory for all to use and trash.

ftp follows (by design) this paradigm: by default after login you are in your home directory, unless you login as a guest, and you are in the Public directory.
When you login as an user, the ftp configuration don't allow you to change to others directory:
in file /etc/vsftpd.conf you see chroot_local_user=YES
If you put that NO, than you can see, browse and read other users home directory. If a given user don't want that, he only has to change his home directory permissions:
   chmod og-rx /home/Joao\ Cardoso/
where "o" mean others, "g" means group, "-" mean don't allow, "r" means read and "x" means browse. "others" mean any user, "group" mean users belonging to the group owner directory.

For the moment, a user home directory has as name the users full name, contrary to the unix habit of using the user nickname.
But this might yet change, as some services don't allow spaces in file paths.
Spaces in file names are a unix curse, and I can't warranty that the web pages always manage those OK.

Sorry for the lecture, I have been a teacher for more than 20 years :-)

Hope I have answer your questions...

PS-the busybox version that Alt-F currently uses has a bug regarding to groups...

Please consider discussing Alt-F at http://groups.google.com/group/alt-f/topics
Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#57 2010-11-23 01:05:14

chickentech

Can someone please explain to me how to install this on a rev C1 board?  I see in the google code svn the kernel patch.  Is this completely necessary for alt-f to work?  One is for the fan I see, but there is another .patch file that doesn't mention the fan at all...

I'm extremely new to linux on embedded systems, so please be patient and clear.  Thank you so much in advance.

#58 2010-11-23 14:09:27

haim

Note, the above comment has been answered in the alt-f google groups.

Yes the C1 board is supported, no patching required.

#59 2010-11-23 16:28:27

wayrunner

Great job!!! Great explanation!!! Thanks jcard

I’ve a CH3SNAS

1. It’s really important to have the maximum network performance. In my case I use it to stream HD videos. I don’t like use jumbo frames because in the wireless streaming situation I have less performance, and you need all the equipment in your network using jumbo frames or your switch will do a hard work ;-)

2. I need to test the answer for minidlna issue. It would be great the new packages.

3. I’ll test with another temperatures and wait for the fun stop completely.

4. Well, I understand now how it works with the users and publics folders. Great explanation! Thanks. It will be nice see Alt-F managing more features in users, groups, folders, ftp, etc.

Thanks for the class, we need more teachers as you with your clear explanations.

#60 2010-11-28 11:56:40

grundigboy

Hello guys,

this is my first post here. I have a SBB35 fro Fujitsu flashed with the latest DNS-323 firmware 1.09. I am really glad about this "new" custom firmware project. But I have a few questions before testing this firmware. Please read them below:

1. Do the mentioned DLNA servers (Twonky, minidlna, Fuppes,...) offer the same amount of features like the integrated DLNA server (same streaming formats, user friendly,...)?

2. Can I flash the firmware over my existing data on the NAS or do I have to backup all the data first as this is some kind of an initial setup?

3. How is the performance compared to the original 1.09 firmware?

Thank you in advance and have a nice weekend!

Tom

Last edited by grundigboy (2010-11-28 11:57:09)

#61 2010-11-29 21:47:48

haim

I'm probably not the most qualified to reply but...

grundigboy wrote:

Hello guys,

this is my first post here. I have a SBB35 fro Fujitsu flashed with the latest DNS-323 firmware 1.09. I am really glad about this "new" custom firmware project. But I have a few questions before testing this firmware. Please read them below:

1. Do the mentioned DLNA servers (Twonky, minidlna, Fuppes,...) offer the same amount of features like the integrated DLNA server (same streaming formats, user friendly,...)?

The current DLNA server as part of the dlink official firmware is likely to be an old version of one of the open source servers, I'm not sure which it is.  Alt-F provides a built in miniDLNA package, which Joao has said will be the latest version from next release (B6), so it will be far more DLNA compliant.  Adding folders is via the admin screens, so thats easy, don't know what else you'd adjust.
Other servers would need to be added via ffp, for now.
Note that miniDLNA doens't transcode, but my understanding is the DNS-323 wouldn't be able to handle that anyway, so I doubt the official dlink one does either.

2. Can I flash the firmware over my existing data on the NAS or do I have to backup all the data first as this is some kind of an initial setup?

If you use the 'reloaded' technique then you are as safe as houses, it will try to load, then whatever happens the next reboot will just go back to the original firmware.
When you are happy with this you can change it to load like this every boot.
When your really happy then you can flash over top of the original firmware, and there are a number of safety nets even then.

Note I'm still using the reloaded at the moment ,but there are plenty who have flashed it.

No idea smile  Feels faster to me, but I think that was because of a move to gig ethernet.

Tom

#62 2010-11-29 22:08:38

jcard

grundigboy wrote:

Hello guys,

I never talked of Twonky... as for the others, you have to try them for yourself, as only your know what are your requirements.
But for miniDLNA read http://groups.google.com/group/alt-f/br … ada542e00#

Before flashing it, you have to try it, running it "on top" of your current firmware. Its deliberate.
I recommend you to read Alt-F homepage, wikis and discussion group.

The Alt-F installation process extracts the *.tar archive file, creating a directory called alt-f, and creates one log file called alt-f-reloaded.log.

When Alt-F starts running, if you use RAID it assembles it, and if necessary resyncs or rebuild it, and then checks you disks filesystems and cleans them if they are not clean, and finally your filesystems are mounted for usage and a log file called alt-f.log is created.

So, nothing special is done, depending on your current RAID and filesystem state.

Alt-F uses the same engine as the original firmware, and it adds no fuel additives whatsoever smile
The kernel and all apps are compiled for speed, that's all.

Tom

Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#63 2010-12-09 03:33:45

zero13th

hei jcard,
thank u for your hardwork. :-)

i have a question, can i automaticly chroot to debian squeeze using fun_plug script?

DNS-323 Rev.C1 Alt-F-0.1B7

#64 2010-12-09 05:39:51

jcard

zero13th wrote:

hei jcard,
thank u for your hardwork. :-)

i have a question, can i automaticly chroot to debian squeeze using fun_plug script?

I don't see why not. (but I also don't see why you need to do it)

But Alt-F does not process scripts named  fun_plug at powerup -- you don't need that, you can chroot right from the command line (after setting up the rootfs).

As a matter of fact, if you setup on disk a kernel, initramfs and a rootfs, you can kexec them right from the command line. I have already done it, starting Debian squeeze from within Alt-F.
But that is off-topic.

Overall the question doesn't make sense to me:
-If you want to chroot debian, obviously you don't want to flash debian.
-If you don't want to flash debian you are not going to flash Alt-F either.
-So, it seems that what you intent to do is to start Alt-F from DLink firmware using the "reloaded" method (fun_plug), and then chroot Debian from within Alt-F!
-So, why not chroot Debian directly from the DLink firmware? You even has a howto in the wiki... but your reasons are yours only -- no questions made, you just want to do it.

#65 2010-12-09 10:30:42

zero13th

in latest dLink fw, i can't chroot to debian-armel (segmentation fault) and nfs didn't work.
i already flashed my nas to alt-F because of a newer kernel and nfs kernel server. :-)

jcard wrote:

As a matter of fact, if you setup on disk a kernel, initramfs and a rootfs, you can kexec them right from the command line. I have already done it, starting Debian squeeze from within Alt-F.
But that is off-topic.

sorry if off-topic, but that's what i want to do with my dns-box. an auto-running squeeze environment in my nas.
Would you tell me step by step to achieve that? :-)

#66 2010-12-09 17:24:31

wayrunner

jcard,

I think I found what's the issue with the fan runnning constantly, but slow: My hard disks don't sleep. They are spinning all the time.

For your information: I have them in raid1, and are two 1tb seagate. And it's a B1 board, CH3SNAS

And.. What about B6? And network performance? And minidlna package? (I tried the current verision package... But I've problems) And the web page to manage ftp users and folders? It's only to remind you.

Thanks for your help.

#67 2010-12-09 18:27:35

jcard

zero13th wrote:

in latest dLink fw, i can't chroot to debian-armel (segmentation fault) and nfs didn't work.
i already flashed my nas to alt-F because of a newer kernel and nfs kernel server. :-)

jcard wrote:

But that is off-topic.

sorry if off-topic, but that's what i want to do with my dns-box. an auto-running squeeze environment in my nas.
Would you tell me step by step to achieve that? :-)

Do you have a serial port?

Follow this, it flashes debian using the stock firmware.

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/orion/d-link/dns-323/

But others in this forum have more knowledge then me on debian.

What I did, under a flashed Alt-F (I have a serial port):
1-split netboot.img from the above link into a kernel and initramfs using dns323-fw, available under Alt-F.
2-Then kexec the resulting kernel and initramfs (for an example, look at the end of /etc/init.d/rcE).
3-Debian gets installed and flashed.
4-Booted into debian and kexec a previously splitted Alt-F fw file
5-Under Alt-F, flashed Alt-F.
6-To run debian under Alt-F, kexec the debian kernel in disk.

Notice: I did not want to flash debian, just install it on disk, that's why I did not flash the netboot.img from the very beginning. But at the end debian flashed itself, so the above procedure could start at 3 instead.

If you want to get practice with kexec, just download a previous (than yours flashed Alt-F fw), split it, and kexec it.

Sorry for not being step by step :-(

Again: do you have a serial port? I can't endorse the above procedure, which is just an outline, neither the debian install and flashing. You know you have been warned, don't you?

#68 2010-12-09 18:48:35

jcard

wayrunner wrote:

jcard,

I think I found what's the issue with the fan runnning constantly, but slow: My hard disks don't sleep. They are spinning all the time.

Read the AboutButtonsAndLeds wiki page -- the leds will flash in a specific way when disks are spindown.

Are you using SMART? or mdadm (mdmon)? Some services will wake up disks, even if they seem to not being doing nothing, samba can receive requests from other machines... you have to diagnose what is awaking your disks -- stop services one by one until you find the culprit.

Have you "Submited" the disk spindow timout in disk utilities? The GUI visually suggests that it is already active, but it is not, you have to submit (and save settings to survive reboots) to activate it.

For your information: I have them in raid1, and are two 1tb seagate. And it's a B1 board, CH3SNAS

And.. What about B6? And network performance? And minidlna package? (I tried the current verision package... But I've problems) And the web page to manage ftp users and folders?

-There is no problem with network performance on B5. Could you clarify?

-0.6 has a enhanced (but sloow) Directory Browser web page and a Directory Ownership and Access Permissions page.

-packages will be updated *after* B6. But you have a cure for the minidlna initscript problem under issues 19.

It's only to remind you.

Thanks for your help.

I have my own TODO list yikes

Why don't you open a "wish list" topic in the Alt-F discussion group?

[Added: It is a bit  wearing to have and follow unrelated issues under the same topic. I ask Alt-F users to use the Alt-F discussion group and open specific topics. Please]

Last edited by jcard (2010-12-09 18:52:58)

#69 2010-12-11 05:02:41

zero13th

jcard wrote:

Follow this, it flashes debian using the stock firmware.

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/orion/d-link/dns-323/

from the link you gave me there is statement:

The D-Link DNS-323 (revision A1 and B1, but not C1)

my box is rev.C1 board :-( and i don't have a serial (still under warranty)
also i'm new to this kexec thing.

Code:

http://dns323.kood.org/howto:chroot_debian

there is a simple and safe way to automatically chroot into debian (i create my own rootfs using debootstrap) but it require a 'fun_plug' script

but in your previous post:

jcard wrote:

But Alt-F does not process scripts named  fun_plug at powerup ...

can 0.1B6 optionally create an empty 'Alt-Fun_plug' on disk and later exec a custom 'Alt-Fun_plug' script at powerup?

thank you and have a nice day :-)

#70 2010-12-11 17:04:40

jcard

zero13th wrote:

jcard wrote:

But Alt-F does not process scripts named  fun_plug at powerup ...

can 0.1B6 optionally create an empty 'Alt-Fun_plug' on disk and later exec a custom 'Alt-Fun_plug' script at powerup?

thank you and have a nice day :-)

You know that under Alt-F (or as in any other non-closed linux system) you don't need a fun_plug script, don't you?

As part of the boot process several scripts are run, and usually one of them is a user-dedicated one.

In Alt-F it is /etc/init.d/S99user.

You can write a script of your own and call it from S99user. Currently it only generates the alt-f.log file

# to apply your own settings, create an external script and add
                # source/call it here; this way it will survive firmware upgrades.

Or if you don't need the full boot process to accomplish, you can write a generic script and put it in /etc/init.d/, it will be executed as any other script in that directory, following a order that depends on its name.

Of course someone has to write the chroot script. I'm not interested by myself.

#71 2010-12-13 04:00:32

zero13th

i try to create an empty read-only file in /etc/init.d or in /etc/* but it's gone when i reboot the NAS.
also when i browse into alf-f web-interface i notice that the 'reminder to save' warning is always show, after powerup and even if i already click save setting.
should i re-flash it? or just push reset button on the back of my nas?

#72 2010-12-13 06:05:06

jcard

zero13th wrote:

i try to create an empty read-only file in /etc/init.d or in /etc/* but it's gone when i reboot the NAS.
also when i browse into alf-f web-interface i notice that the 'reminder to save' warning is always show, after powerup and even if i already click save setting.
should i re-flash it? or just push reset button on the back of my nas?

reflash>
None.
No reflash, no reset.

BTW, you can read the AboutLedsAndButtons wiki entry -- the reset button might not work as you expect.

reboot survive>
Of course that only files that you create on disk will survive a reboot wink
But you could read the HowToFixOrCustomizeFirmware wiki entry.
But be warned, I will not answer questions regarding that feature that "is an advanced topic that might cause more distress than benefice"

save reminder>
If you keep the mouse over the red "reminder to save" warning, does not appear a legend saying what files have changed? I'm not sure if that already happens for B5, but for B6 it does.

But if you have not changed anything, don't worry. Some files that are saved in flash can have been modified on boot, e.g., if you use DHCP then the box IP has changed, or if you use ntp the drift file can change, and these kind of changes are not very important.

Or it might be a bug sad

For B6 the files that, if exists, are saved to flash, are:

Code:

/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key     /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
/etc/network/interfaces         /etc/web-secret
/etc/passwd     /etc/shadow     /etc/group
/etc/TZ         /etc/timezone
/etc/hosts              /etc/resolv.conf        /etc/hostname
/etc/samba/smbpasswd    /etc/samba/smbusers     /etc/samba/smb.conf
/etc/samba/credentials.*        /etc/exports
/etc/dnsmasq.conf       /etc/dnsmasq-opts       /etc/dnsmasq-hosts 
/etc/dnsmasq-resolv     /etc/rsyncd.conf        /etc/rsyncd.secrets
/etc/inetd.conf         /etc/vsftpd.conf        /etc/httpd.conf
/etc/misc.conf          /etc/inadyn.conf        /etc/ipkg.conf
/etc/ntp.conf           /etc/ntp.drift          /etc/adjtime.conf
/etc/sysctrl.conf       /etc/msmtprc            /etc/smartd.conf
/etc/wgetrc                     /etc/ssl/certs/vsftpd.pem

#73 2010-12-13 07:14:47

zero13th

jcard wrote:

save reminder>
If you keep the mouse over the red "reminder to save" warning, does not appear a legend saying what files have changed? I'm not sure if that already happens for B5, but for B6 it does.

yes, there is a pop-up info that indicate two files in etc folder have been modified. I will report them later.

#74 2010-12-13 07:26:21

zero13th

jcard wrote:

For advanced usage, one package can be installed without internet connectivity: just download ipkg_0.99.163_arm.ipk from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1555717/DNS-323 … index.html and drop it in the box /tmp directory. Alt-F Package Manager installs it, and after that you can configure a local network package feed (meaning that you have to download all packages and Package files from the above site, make them available through a local-network httpd server, and configure that local httpd server directory as a package feed). But as I said, its advanced usage.

could you add it in wiki?

#75 2010-12-13 18:56:16

jcard

zero13th wrote:

jcard wrote:

For advanced usage, one package can be installed without internet connectivity: just download ipkg_0.99.163_arm.ipk from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1555717/DNS-323 … index.html and drop it in the box /tmp directory. Alt-F Package Manager installs it, and after that you can configure a local network package feed (meaning that you have to download all packages and Package files from the above site, make them available through a local-network httpd server, and configure that local httpd server directory as a package feed). But as I said, its advanced usage.

could you add it in wiki?

Done.

Board footer