DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-10-29 20:15:08

leech1980

run web browser from DNS323?

are there any web browsers (not servers) I can run from the DNS323?

#2 2010-10-29 22:19:02

kuuza

Re: run web browser from DNS323?

Lynx, elinks and so on..

#3 2010-10-30 02:10:40

karlrado

kuuza wrote:

Lynx, elinks and so on..

meaning text mode browsers that you'd run in a terminal shell.

This is a bit off-topic, but I also have a SheevaPlug, which is another ARM-based small computer system not too different from what is in the DNS-323.  The SheevaPlug has more memory and a faster CPU.

Anyway, I run a debian distro on the SheevaPlug and have enough of X11 and gnome installed so that I can start a vnc server on it.  I can then use a vnc viewer on a Windows or other box to login to this desktop and run iceweasel and other graphical apps on the SheevaPlug.

It works fairly well.

You might be able to do something like this on the 323 via chroot debian or something like it.  But I'd be worried about memory and CPU capability on the 323.  And it would be a lot of work.

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

#4 2010-10-30 07:02:23

chriso

I can't see why anyone would want to run a web browser from the DNS-323 when the machine are using to access it is so much better then it for the purpose unless the purpose is to automate downloading of web pages/files, which I think would be better served with wget or Perl or Python.  But anyway Lynx is available in optware.

#5 2010-11-02 16:49:42

karlrado

I used to think that way too - it seemed silly to run a web browser on something like a DNS-323.

But it depends on what the user is doing, and I actually hit a case myself where it came in handy.  I admit that this situation could be a bit unusual.

My DNS is at home and I can access it from work.  There might be a torrent file that I want to put on the DNS while I am at work so the DNS can download the files during the day and have them ready when I get home.  I know the name of the torrent file, but I don't have a simple URL that points directly at the torrent file.  I can find the torrent file on one of the torrent search sites, but my internet connection at work blocks all these sites.  I can't use wget or whatever on the DNS to grab the torrent file because I don't know *exactly* where it is.  It seems too hard to "drill" through these torrent search sites with wget to get the actual file.  It can be done sometimes, but is pretty painful.

I don't leave any Linux or Windows desktops at home running all day, so I can't remote login to those and use a web browser to access the torrent search sites.

The only other way is to run a browser on the DNS.  In my case, I did it on the Sheevaplug, but it is the same idea.  I admit that I don't know if one could use Lynx to navigate some of these torrent search sites - have not tried it.

But in general, running a browser on the DNS or other plug computer can be handy when you don't have access to another machine on an unblocked network.

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

Board footer