DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-06-13 21:25:45

ultrabrutal

Are my files lost?

First the EXT-3 issue I lost 400 gb data.

Now with 1.03 firmware and running EXT-2 for along time... Have a 750 gb in volume_1 (right side).
Then I put in a 250 gb in volume_2 (left side) and booted it up.
Logged in and it said I had to format the new drive and it would not touch the existing drive. Afterwards it rebooted. So far so good

Then I tried to access the files but FTP server was not running. Then I logged in again and it said it needed to format the drive. I proceeded. BIG MISTAKE!

Afterward it said SUCCESSFUL for both volume. Now I got really scared. After a reboot I logged in via FTP and there we no files.
Then I logged in the webinterface and here is my drive info now:

HARD DRIVE INFO :
Volume Name:  Volume_1
Volume Type:  RAID 0                               (?????)
Total Hard Drive Capacity:  15 MB              (?????  This is my existing 750 gb drive. What happened to it?)
Used Space:  100 KB
Unused Space:  15 MB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volume Name:  Volume_2
Volume Type:  Linear
Total Hard Drive Capacity:  983431 MB       (did it merge my two drives into one?)
Used Space:  24 KB
Unused Space:  983431 MB

Where are my files? It told me it would not touch my existing drive but it did mess something up.

Are my 710 gb data gone forever?

#2 2007-06-13 21:57:05

frodo

Re: Are my files lost?

It looks like your data is gone. You have somehow told it to create a 15M large stripe(raid 0) set. The rest has been put into a linear volume.

As everything has been formatted it is pretty much lost. You might be able to recover data from the linear devices if you put this disk into a linux box. But that takes a lot of expertice.

Sorry!

#3 2007-06-13 22:05:23

ultrabrutal

I was not asked about anything other than I could press next. The DNS has made these choices for me. It did clearly state that it would format the new drive and not existing drive. And no I'm not a noob or anything. I know about drives, partitions, file-systems, and the different types of RAID configs. This is all on D-Link!

This is the second time that the DNS-323 wipe all my files. What a great piece of hardware/software!  First time I had chosen EXT-3 for my files which they removed in the next firmware.
Now I have to reencode my 400+ CD's as MP3 again. This takes a lot of time. I also had some HD DVB-S recordings I had recorded and encoded as xvid. These files are not possible to get a get as they are not broadcast anymore. This took alot of time also to do.
And then there were some important files that I have no backup off plus a shitload of stuff I cannot recall.
This box has cost me so many hours and now will do the same again that I cannot could it. I should sue their asses off! What a bummer!

#4 2007-06-13 22:12:42

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

that's why we're working on replacing the d-link software...

#5 2007-06-13 22:14:40

ultrabrutal

You mean a total new embedded linux distro?  Where can I read about this?

#6 2007-06-13 22:21:58

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Board footer