DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-12-14 22:21:51

surfing10

Hibernation isn't working - I guess is the Network

Hi all,

My HDD Hibernation isn't working as it should since the HDD1 keeps waking up (HDD2 is sleeping fine).
I did my research here and I found that firmware 1.6 should solve this but I'm using the firmware 1.9 and the problem exist.

So the first test that I did was unpluging the network cable and it solve the problem - so nothing internally in the DNS-323 is waking my disk.
I saw that BitTorrent add-on once cause this too in other users so I disabled but the problem still.

My scenario:
DNS-323 1.9firmware
2x 1.5Tb WD disks
funplug 0.5
FTP enabled
UPnP disabled
iTunes disabled
LLTD enabled (could be this?)
Transmission
Rsync scheduler to run every day at 2am to backup HDD2 to HDD1
BitTorrent Add-on (disabled)

Now how to monitor what application is causing my HDD1 to wake? Any clues?

Thanks

Last edited by surfing10 (2010-12-14 22:36:50)

#2 2010-12-15 00:29:45

adambyrtek

Re: Hibernation isn't working - I guess is the Network

You can use "netstat -p" to list open network connections with associated PIDs.

#3 2010-12-15 01:56:56

FunFiler

Transmission could be updating DHT as well. You could move it to a USB stick. That's how I run mine, just to "completed" and "incomplete" are on physical HDD.

check netstat -a

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#4 2010-12-15 03:20:05

surfing10

FunFiler wrote:

Transmission could be updating DHT as well. You could move it to a USB stick. That's how I run mine, just to "completed" and "incomplete" are on physical HDD.

check netstat -a

Is there any command or file that I can change to force Transmission update once a day?
BTW thanks for the netstat command. I'll be monitoring the NAS.

#5 2010-12-15 14:25:34

fordem

Just a passing comment.

None of the firmwares have ever had a hibernation problem, and consequently, none of them fixes hibernation.

If you have a hibernation problem, you basically need to trackdown the cause, and eliminate it - I would suggest unplugging the NAS from the network as the first step - if the problem stops, the cause is external, it's not the network, but a process running on another system attempting to access the NAS via the network.  If the problem persists with the network cable disconnected, then the cause is a process running on the NAS.

#6 2010-12-15 16:07:37

surfing10

Fordem, I already did this (in my first post). Now I need the right tools to trackdown what is causing this smile

#7 2010-12-15 17:52:20

bound4h

How do montior, track the NAS acitivity while it's unplugged from the network?

#8 2010-12-15 20:32:08

fordem

surfing10 wrote:

Fordem, I already did this (in my first post). Now I need the right tools to trackdown what is causing this smile

My next step would be to leave the router disconnected - to eliminate access from outside of the network - and then starting with all of the other network hosts off, power them up one by one to determine which one wakes the DNS-323.

#9 2010-12-15 20:33:40

fordem

bound4h wrote:

All you need to do to determine if the unit has hibernated is to look at the power light - if it's dim the unit has hibernated, if it's bright, it's not.  For the purposes of this test, that's all the monitoring that's required.

#10 2010-12-15 21:11:06

surfing10

fordem wrote:

bound4h wrote:

All you need to do to determine if the unit has hibernated is to look at the power light - if it's dim the unit has hibernated, if it's bright, it's not.  For the purposes of this test, that's all the monitoring that's required.

Or you can just put your ears right close to the cabinet to see if the disk is spinning :p

Last edited by surfing10 (2010-12-15 21:11:18)

#11 2010-12-15 22:48:28

bound4h

fordem wrote:

bound4h wrote:

There are three lights, one for Left HDD, center for Network Activity, and one for Right HDD.  Which one are saying is "power"?  Do you mean HDD Activity?

#12 2010-12-16 00:00:54

karlrado

Isn't Transmission a suspect here?  Or am I missing something?

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

#13 2010-12-16 03:57:48

surfing10

karlrado wrote:

I'll be very disapointed if it is because I switch to Transmission over BitTorrent add-on because this add-on was keeping my HDD awake all the time.

#14 2010-12-16 04:36:57

FunFiler

You can automate it, or do it manually, shut down transmission when you are not downloading or seeding.

#15 2010-12-16 04:44:13

fordem

bound4h wrote:

There are three lights, one for Left HDD, center for Network Activity, and one for Right HDD.  Which one are saying is "power"?  Do you mean HDD Activity?

You're kidding me right?  There is a fourth light - behind the power button - lights the whole button up when it's on.  It's real hard to miss.

#16 2010-12-16 07:58:16

bound4h

fordem wrote:

bound4h wrote:

You're kidding me right?  There is a fourth light - behind the power button - lights the whole button up when it's on.  It's real hard to miss.

I'm an idiot, I was writing by memory.  But now that you say that, and I've looked, I see it.  My bad

#17 2010-12-16 13:20:20

surfing10

I keep this light off.

Well I did what fordem told, to turn off every computer on my network and see if this is the problem but it isn't. I think that the problem is related to the internet connectivity.
Last night I've checked with netstat and I see 4 connections of Transmission to the network. Probably open connection because of the last torrent that I was downloading. I'll keep my testing and tracking tomorrow, without torrent in the queue and after a reboot of the DNS-323 to clean the TCP connections.

#18 2010-12-16 18:38:31

karlrado

surfing10 wrote:

karlrado wrote:

I'll be very disapointed if it is because I switch to Transmission over BitTorrent add-on because this add-on was keeping my HDD awake all the time.

I'm not sure how you could be disappointed by this.  If you are running ANY bittorrent client, there's always the possibility that it is downloading or seeding something, depending entirely on how you have it set up.  Also, some bt clients may be configured to check the disk occasionally for new torrent files.  In any event, if you have a bt client running, there's an awful good chance it's going to be accessing the hard disk periodically for one of these reasons, unless you've gone though a lot of effort to avoid that.

I know that whenever I have transmission running, I never assume that the disk will ever sleep.  I generally run it long enough to download some torrents and then seed them back for awhile.  Then I'll stop transmission so the disks can sleep.  I really don't use transmission that much, so it is ok for me.

Seems to me an easy way to test if transmission is keeping your disk active is to shut down transmission.  If that's the cause, then figure out how to make the disks sleep.  As mentioned, shutting it down when you want the disks to sleep may work.  Perhaps it can be configured to seed for awhile and then stop seeding automatically.  See if there is a way to turn off "look for new torrent files" if your version of transmission can do that.  Move all transmission control and state files off the hard disk and into the ramdisk filesystem.  (This won't maintain state across a reboot though).

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

#19 2010-12-16 19:21:29

surfing10

Karlrado, as I post before when I disconnect the network cable the disk sleep just fine. So it's not something localy on the DNS-323, is something related to internet connectivity (check for update, new files, new blocked database, etc).

I'll be disapointed because I use one torrent at the time in Transmission and when it finish download I do remove the torrent so Transmission don't have activity related to torrent's itself.

Tomorrow is the day that I'll try more scenarios to see what happen and if Transmission is playing the bad guy here. Move all the Transmission file to a USB stick seem a good option too since I don't use my USB port.

#20 2010-12-17 21:01:02

surfing10

OK, I did my tests and karlrado was right: it is Transmission.
I don't know why it keeps 3 connections in CLOSE_WAIT (rs0128.rapidspeeds.com, tracker.publicbt.com) and I don't know it this is causing the problem. The blocklist update is not the problem because the last file that I had was too old.

So I want know to move Transmission to a USB drive (as suggested) to see if it will solve my problem.

Now new questions:
- To uninstall Transmission from HD_a2 I just need to run the "funpkg -r"?
- To install in the USB drive how can I specified to go to sdc1 (USB)? The command that I know is "funpkg -i Transmission-2.13-1.tgz" that will probably install on HD_a2
- Do I need to sync the ffp/start process to start first the USB mount.sh and then later the Transmission.sh? How?

#21 2010-12-17 21:54:26

bjby

#22 2010-12-17 21:55:21

FunFiler

Install in the default location (or use your existing install) and then just move the directory to appropriate places. Keep in mind that the "incomplete" and "complete" directories should be configured to HDD space not USB stick as these could contain large files. (unless you have a really big USB stick)

Moving the rest of the directories is easy enough with the mv command.

The link provided by bjby moves all of ffp to a usb stick. This is of course an option, but not required.

Last edited by FunFiler (2010-12-17 21:56:30)

#23 2010-12-17 23:09:14

karlrado

The last link suggests moving all of ffp onto a USB disk, which is pretty cool and would give you some other benefits.

But I still question why you want to run transmission with the expectation of letting the disks sleep.

Transmission's purpose in life is to move bits back and forth between your hard disk and the Internet and it obviously needs the hard disk to do so.  Stopping Transmission when not using it makes some sense.

If I really wanted to try to let the disks sleep when Transmission is running but idle, I'd try a few things before resorting to a more involved approach like moving ffp to a USB stick.

I note my version of Transmission creates a file structure .config/transmission/... and in it are a bunch of files that may be active at run time, like a socket file, lock file, state, etc.  I would first do whatever I could to get these files to reside on the ramdisk, the root filesystem, instead of the hard disk.  This may involve changing a config file or setting certain options when starting the daemon.  (The details are specific to the version)  I'd also look for other files, other than the torrents and actual torrent data files, that may be open and active that could be placed on the ramdisk.  Watch out for running out of space on the ramdisk.

The lsof command can be used to locate files that Transmission has open in order to help grok this out.

The other thing you'll run into is that the Transmission binary and all the libs it uses are on the hard disk as well.  One thing I am not certain of is that if a program is already running and has loaded itself and its libs into memory, I don't know if the hard disk can sleep with these binaries running in a process.  I'm sure someone here knows more about this.  I doubt that you would be able to copy transmission and all its dependent libraries to the ramdisk without running out of room.  So, if you are lucky, the disk might sleep even if the binaries are on the hard disk.

I also don't think that you can install just transmission on a USB stick for the same reasons - it would still access libs in /ffp which is still on the hard disk unless you move all of ffp there.

If all this fails, I would then probably try to write wrapper scripts to start transmission on demand and stop it when idle.

Presumably, I'd want to start it when I have a new torrent.  So the script would start T if not already running and use transmission-remote to add the torrent to the list.

There might also be another simple sh script that runs all the time and sleeps for a period, only to wake up every so often and use transmission-remote to see if T is idle.  It would then shut it down if it was idle.

I think that there is another thread in the forum going on about something like this.

But the details depend on exactly how you are using T, which we don't know.

Good luck.

#24 2010-12-17 23:19:17

karlrado

FunFiler wrote:

Install in the default location (or use your existing install) and then just move the directory to appropriate places. Keep in mind that the "incomplete" and "complete" directories should be configured to HDD space not USB stick as these could contain large files. (unless you have a really big USB stick)

The link provided by bjby moves all of ffp to a usb stick. This is of course an option, but not required.

So while you could move just the transmission application to the USB stick, it will still refer to about 28 libraries, which would all be on the hard disk in /ffp.

Do you think that the hard disk would sleep while transmission was running?

#25 2010-12-17 23:29:46

surfing10

FunFiler wrote:

Is that simple? Just move the program files?
Because I've saw a file (transmission.sh) in the ffp/start that points to Transmission Home= mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-deamon.
I need to update this path? What other paths do I need to move?

I'll try first to move only Transmission and if it's not work I'll try to move all the ffp.

Edit: Since Transmission uses libs in HD_a2 probably I'll need to move ffp to the usb.

Last edited by surfing10 (2010-12-17 23:31:01)

Board footer