DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-01-19 16:13:11

puterboy

/ffp/mount won't recognize LABELS. Any chance of updating ffp/busybox?

In general the ffp busybox is a superset of the original firmware /bin/busybox both in terms of number of functions and in terms of the functionality of each function.

The one *frustrating* exception I have found to date is that /ffp/bin/mount does NOT recognize LABELS.
And LABELS at least for me are especially important on the DNS-321 since removing one of the drives changes the lettering of any usb.

I noticed that the ffp packages have mostly not been updated in 2+ years but is there any chance of at least updating busybox?
Though I imagine you may have other priorities tongue

Thanks

#2 2011-01-19 17:24:36

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: /ffp/mount won't recognize LABELS. Any chance of updating ffp/busybox?

busybox is easy to compile yourself. It's not been upgraded, because I didn't find the bugs very serious, and because it's not that easy to upgrade as it may overwrite files from other packages.
Apart from that, there have been at least a dozen updates in the last two years, not counting the packages that other people maintain.

PS: Maybe you can work around the limitation with blkid, like here: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic. … 237#p36237

#3 2011-01-19 18:25:10

puterboy

Fonz - thanks - I wasn't criticizing.
I have compiled busyboz myself before - it compiles fine on my toolchain..
The reason I was asking about a formal fix is that I would like to share my reloading scripts and I want to make sure that the functionality I use is common. In actuality, I have gone to pains to make sure that it all works without any ffp dependence -- but this creates problems when something works fine with /bin/busybox but not with /ffp/bin/busybox. I.e. I don't want a case where a new user is surprised that some functionality works fine without ffp but then suddenly stops working if you have ffp prepended to your faith. I want to work on the assumption that /bin/busybox functionality is a proper subset of /ffp/bin/busybox functionality as much as possible.

#4 2011-01-19 19:27:03

puterboy

Thanks for alerting me to 'blkid' -- I wasn't even aware of the function -- very cool.
Unfortunately, though I want to make sure that mounting works during boot when the entire fstab is read.
To get that to work I would probably need a pretty fancy wrapper script to make sure that all the options get parsed properly and passed to mount either directly or via blkid.

Unless someone else has written the script, I would be hesitant to trust any partial script I wrote to account for any type of valid fstab entries and not crash or hang.

Board footer