DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-01-21 18:33:57

carylewis2009

Virtual Machine version of DNS-323

Hello, I was wondering if there was a way to run the DNS-323 as a virtual machine under VMWare or similar product?

The reason I am asking is that I think it would be much more convenient to develop software under a VM running on a fast computer vs. developing / debugging natively on a real DNS-323 (or similar device).

I know you can install cross-compile tool chains, etc. but this is obviously an involved process, and in my experience there are almost always issues that only reveal themselves running on the native device.

Does anyone know / thing this is possible?

Maybe there just needs to be comprensive but easy to follow tutorial on how to get cross compiling working.

I know there are various existing wiki-articles dedicated to this topic, but they all involve so many steps and you have to be able to find the exact right version of the tools, libraries, etc., that it seems like a recipe for aggravation.

Maybe someone who has this all working could convert their dev machine into a virtual machine?

Looking forward to seeing the comments.

#2 2011-01-22 12:28:16

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Re: Virtual Machine version of DNS-323

Search the forum for 'qemu'.

The reason I am asking is that I think it would be much more convenient to develop software under a VM running on a fast computer.

Don't know if that is true. I've no experience with running ARM software on a VM on an X86, but I have used qemu to test a MIPSEL kernel before flashing it to a router, and I can tell you it was painfully slow.

Board footer