DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-02-26 03:23:52

dcx_badass

A few 323 questions.

Right, not a PC newby by any stretch but new to NAS, read a lot of threads but couldn't find answers for them all, so here goes:

I'm reading that the Raid 1 is somewhat unreliable and rsync ia better option is this true? As the main reason I am buying the NAS tbh is for a [none PC dependant] Raid 1 array.

Transfer speeds? I'm seeing roughly 15-25mb/s read/write speeds (merged for the sake of ease), this to me seems really slow, especially over gigabit as I currently get 10-12mb/s over 100meg network from my desktop to my original xbox, so the nas on a gigabit I'd be expecting a lot higher speeds?

Next, I'm fine with FTP, SSH etc. but I presume this isn't needed just to put files on, does it appear in my computer mapped as a network drive so I can copy paste etc in explorer.

I'd want to use as a network share for my media, so music to itunes and then movies to XBMC as a network share that it could index etc. Does it support the protocols for this (Samba seems the easiest).

Next, getting the data on the NAS, I see the drives have to be EXT2? Now due to the slow transfer speeds (mentioned above), can I set up a RAID 1, pull a drive back out the NAS, connect it via sata to my PC and then fill it via explorer (i need an ext2 driver for windows?), then once the data is on via explorer, slot it back in the NAS and the raid 1 will be fine and it will mirror it to both drives, as 2TB over LAN at those speeds seems awful tbh.

I'd be using it direct to my desktop atm as I'm not in a position to have it connected to the router (for the next 18 months), I understand this would be fine etc. Anyway by the time I've got the NAS, and two 2TB drives (Samsung F4's), I'm looking at spending quite a big chunk of money so one it to totally fit my needs.

Thanks.

#2 2011-02-26 04:35:08

chriso

Re: A few 323 questions.

I have answered some of your questions.  Keep in mind I don't use raid on the DNS-323 so I don't know exactly how reliable it is, but my guess is that it is OK since even though you see posts on it, you have to remember people don't come to sites like this to make posts bragging about how good things work for them, then post about problems.  So if you don't see tons of people warning against it, it probably isn't that bad.

dcx_badass wrote:

Right, not a PC newby by any stretch but new to NAS, read a lot of threads but couldn't find answers for them all, so here goes:

I'm reading that the Raid 1 is somewhat unreliable and rsync ia better option is this true? As the main reason I am buying the NAS tbh is for a [none PC dependant] Raid 1 array.

Personally I rather have a place to backup to instead of a copy of my mistakes.  Raid 1 is only good for drive failures, I have had very few of them in 35+ years I have been working with computers, but I have had tons of times I have deleted things by mistake or I wanted to go back to old copies, rsync with links (to only copy what has changed) gives a backup for these problems.

For sure if you like your data at all you better have another way to back up your data if you use any form of raid, which is not a backup.

dcx_badass wrote:

Transfer speeds? I'm seeing roughly 15-25mb/s read/write speeds (merged for the sake of ease), this to me seems really slow, especially over gigabit as I currently get 10-12mb/s over 100meg network from my desktop to my original xbox, so the nas on a gigabit I'd be expecting a lot higher speeds?

The transfer speed is limited because of the small amount of memory and speed of the DNS-323's processor, which is geared to lower power usage over high performance.  You might be able to get some better performance with jumbo frames, but the performance you are reporting is typical.

dcx_badass wrote:

Next, I'm fine with FTP, SSH etc. but I presume this isn't needed just to put files on, does it appear in my computer mapped as a network drive so I can copy paste etc in explorer.

You certainly don't have to use FTP, SSH, ... I would guess most people never do and just either use SMB or NFS to serve up their files and that is it.

dcx_badass wrote:

I'd want to use as a network share for my media, so music to itunes and then movies to XBMC as a network share that it could index etc. Does it support the protocols for this (Samba seems the easiest).

Typically music and movies need protocols other then Samba, but I don't do any of this so others can answer this.

dcx_badass wrote:

Next, getting the data on the NAS, I see the drives have to be EXT2? Now due to the slow transfer speeds (mentioned above), can I set up a RAID 1, pull a drive back out the NAS, connect it via sata to my PC and then fill it via explorer (i need an ext2 driver for windows?), then once the data is on via explorer, slot it back in the NAS and the raid 1 will be fine and it will mirror it to both drives, as 2TB over LAN at those speeds seems awful tbh.

I'd be using it direct to my desktop atm as I'm not in a position to have it connected to the router (for the next 18 months), I understand this would be fine etc. Anyway by the time I've got the NAS, and two 2TB drives (Samsung F4's), I'm looking at spending quite a big chunk of money so one it to totally fit my needs.

Thanks.

If you were going to do this on a PC you would certainly need a EXT2 driver, whether you can get it to work with the fact resyncing and such for raid I will leave to others.

#3 2011-02-26 18:30:35

adambyrtek

dcx_badass wrote:

The standard firmware contains a DAAP server (this is the protocol used by iTunes) and an UPnP AV server (which should be visible by XBMC). If you decide to install ffp it will give you full control over the device, which means that you will be able to use any other Linux daemon.

#4 2011-02-27 00:48:46

fordem

dcx_badass wrote:

chriso wrote:

Personally I rather have a place to backup to instead of a copy of my mistakes.  Raid 1 is only good for drive failures, I have had very few of them in 35+ years I have been working with computers, but I have had tons of times I have deleted things by mistake or I wanted to go back to old copies, rsync with links (to only copy what has changed) gives a backup for these problems.

For sure if you like your data at all you better have another way to back up your data if you use any form of raid, which is not a backup.

These remarks highlight the problem with RAID1 and consumer NAS units - a misunderstanding of what RAID1 is all about and how & when it should be used.

RAID1 is about high availability of your data - and should be used to reduce or eliminate the impact (or cost) of the downtime that results when a disk fails.

If this is what you need, rsync is simply not an option, and if this is not what you need, then RAID1 is not the answer to your needs.

#5 2011-02-27 04:34:53

chriso

Yeah I didn't make that statement very clear.  A backup and Raid are two different things, what I was really pointing out is what I thought was more important use of the second hard drive.  I seriously doubt that most households need RAID for the purpose of never having any downtime.

If your purpose is that you have to have a working system at all times all times RAID 1 & 5 are what you want.  If you are going for performance RAID 0 (with twice the failure rate), which would most likely be wasted on the DNS-323 because of other performance bottlenecks.  RAID 1 & 5 also mean that if you lose a hard drive you will lose no data.  But if you lose the primary drive and you are using the second drive as a backup you will lose data up to the point that when the back up was done.  So RAID does protect you from data loss in this situation, but it is certainly not any kind of substitute for a real backup, and in my opinion (which is what I was stating above) if you have to choose between the two you certainly want a backup first.

#6 2011-02-28 10:24:46

dcx_badass

So why can't I use raid 1 as a back up against hardware failure. The only time I'll lose data is if a drive dies, raid 1 solves this. If there's a fire or I'm burgled losing some data will be the lease of my problems, the most important stuff will be on an external drive 200 miles away, for this I trust raid 1 will suffice. The stuff on the raid will be an inconvenience if lost, but not life ending.

Anyway thanks for the replies, typically since asking this the NAS is out of stock everywhere at the price I wanted.

#7 2011-02-28 13:13:42

fordem

dcx_badass wrote:

So why can't I use raid 1 as a back up against hardware failure. The only time I'll lose data is if a drive dies, raid 1 solves this. If there's a fire or I'm burgled losing some data will be the lease of my problems, the most important stuff will be on an external drive 200 miles away, for this I trust raid 1 will suffice. The stuff on the raid will be an inconvenience if lost, but not life ending.

Anyway thanks for the replies, typically since asking this the NAS is out of stock everywhere at the price I wanted.

There's a lot more ways to lose data than you think - I had my first experience with data loss somewhere in the mid '80's, I set up my first disk mirror in '89 and managed to trash it in under a week.

I don't know if you've ever heard this - there are two types of people in this world, people who have lost data, and people woh will - now you can learn from other peoples mistakes - or - you can make them for yourself - I really don't care which.

#8 2011-02-28 13:15:22

Loose Gravel

dcx_badass wrote:

The only time I'll lose data is if a drive dies, raid 1 solves this.

There are other ways to lose data. They are more common than disk-failures
- Delete a file by accident
- Delete a directory by accident
- Overwrite wrong version of file
- Word cant open your doc because it has been corrupted (by word itself)
- Photoshop overwrites your file, loosing the original file
- Virus has infected your files
- Network/WLAN goes down while writing to file

raid will not protect you. Backup will.

#9 2011-03-01 01:39:00

adambyrtek

I agree that it's extremely easy to lose some data. I synchronize the second drive using rsync on a weekly basis mostly in order to protect the data from myself.

#10 2011-03-01 07:52:15

chriso

You can add to the list. 
The drive controller fails and writes bad data to both drives.
One drive fails and you make a mistake on what you should do to rebuild a new drive messing up the original.
(Do you know how nervous you get when you realize that you just lost a drive and you need to rebuild, but you realize that you have never done it before, and if you make a mistake you can lose that data?)

You do say that you have a copy of important stuff elsewhere and that is the key, if the data you have on this NAS is not that important or can be recreated then there certainly isn't any reason you can use the other drive for RAID.

My data is actually backup up to the second drive and a copy goes to offline storage (local has the whole history, offline just the latest).  My data is very important to me.

#11 2011-03-01 13:03:14

fordem

Since no one else has mentioned it - a power failure.

If you lose power whilst the NAS (or any computer for that matter) is writing to the disk, you run the risk of corrupting the allocation tables (or bitmap if it's linux), once that's gone, your data is still on the disk, but you have no way to get to it.

All it takes is a split second.

#12 2011-03-01 15:23:15

dcx_badass

Just bought one, £50 ($80, 60Euro). Thanks for the advice, can I use rsync to 1 TB external hard drive attached to the NAS (i know I need to do some customising to get it to take USB Storage).

Anyone got any recommendations on cool/essential stuff to do for it?

Right as for my getting files onto it. I have one 2TB drive and will be adding another in a week or two, can I set up the NAS with one drive then add the other later and it will set up the Raid 1 fine without having to wipe both drives (they will be the same model drives). Also can I format in the NAS, then pull the hdd, connect it to my PC via sata (will get an ext2 driver) and load the files up then put it back in the NAS (and then make it raid 1 in a few weeks).

Cheers guys!

#13 2011-03-02 09:54:15

chriso

You certainly can rsync to an external USB drive.  Of course because of the overhead of rsync, I would start with a just plain old cp -a, and then do rsync for the changes from then on.

The best place to start is to install ffp and then from there you can look at what people have done for loading up the USB drivers and such.

#14 2011-03-04 23:48:03

dcx_badass

Thanks, going to update straight to 1.10beta as I have Samsung F4 4k drives and it looks like it formats them properly, so I'll need that.

Is Fun plug enough for me or is Alt-F worth a go, or is it overkill for what I need? Whats with Ext2/3, whats the difference?

#15 2011-03-05 00:25:49

FunFiler

dcx_badass wrote:

Whats with Ext2/3, whats the difference?

http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6427

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#16 2011-03-09 21:10:41

dcx_badass

All set up, done it as EXT3. I know it's a bit slower, but I'm getting transfer speeds of 9-10.5MB/s, which TBH is awful, I know it wouldn't be really fast, but my Xbox from 2001 can FTP at these speeds and it's only got 100meg lan. How do I get 20+ like some are? I enabled jumbo frams on the NAS and my network card and it got slower, dropping to about 8MB/s.

Can I pull a drive and load it over sata then put it back in?

#17 2011-03-09 23:34:03

dhub

9-10MB/s is very close to the max bandwidth of 100 meg ethernet?   Is there something in the datapath running 100meg ethernet instead of gigabit.

Although to be honest the DNS-323 isn't generally all that much faster on gigabit.  Using jumbo frames and iscsi target backed by a disk partition (which should be pretty low overhead) I was only able to get about 19MB/s.

#18 2011-03-10 00:01:51

dcx_badass

I'm using my DNS-323 on a gigabit connection (direct to NIC on motherboard), not even a router inbetween and my almost 10 year old xbox can pull the same speeds on 100meg as my DNS-323 can on gigabit!

#19 2011-03-10 01:14:13

karlrado

Since you got over 10MB/sec, it seems unlikely that your LAN connection is stuck at 100Mbs, no matter how simple it is.

http://deice.daug.net/netcat_speed.html

suggests a simple way to verify your LAN speed.  Netcat is available on optware; dunno about ffp.

I installed netcat on my DNS323/optware and also on a Sheevaplug/Debian on the same LAN, but with a router in-between.  It is a 100Mbs LAN and I got about 70Mbs, which may be partially attributed to the router.

Unless you are certain that your 1Gbs connection is working OK, something like this test may help check it out.

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

#20 2011-03-10 11:25:00

dcx_badass

It is working ok, the NAS is set to 1GBPS, my desktops status is showing the connection at 1GBPS. And as I say, my almost 10 year old xbox can get over 10MB/s over 100Mbs (it hits just over 11 sometimes), I knew the DNS-323 was slow, but I thought it would be faster than 10 year old hardware, especially over a much faster connection.

No idea what optware etc is.
As I say enabling jumbo frames makes it even slower.

#21 2011-03-10 11:55:14

dcx_badass

I think I'm going to return it, it's too slow to be functional, going to take 20 hours just to put less than half my files on.

It's ashame, if I could load it over sata maybe it would be ok as the read is fine, but takes too long to move large amounts of files to it.

Last edited by dcx_badass (2011-03-10 12:03:50)

#22 2011-03-10 22:55:46

karlrado

Yep, mine is slow too.

I'm not clear if you settled on using RAID or not.  If not, then there is no reason why you could not plug the drive into a SATA port on a PC running linux or whatever and move the files to it faster that way, at least for the initial move.  I think that there is Windows software that will let you mount ext2/3 filesystems.

I'm not sure about all this if you are using RAID.

I think of this box as a somewhat slow file server and backup machine, and I can afford to let long file transfers take as long as they need to - overnight if needed.  It all depends on your needs.

The only real disappointment I had so far is storing large partition-level backups made from Acronis software.  It just took too long to copy those to the DNS, so I ended up putting them on a USB hard drive, attached to the machine I was backing up.  I do file-level backups to the DNS, and that is working fine.

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

#23 2011-03-11 02:01:18

fordem

karlrado wrote:

The only real disappointment I had so far is storing large partition-level backups made from Acronis software.  It just took too long to copy those to the DNS, so I ended up putting them on a USB hard drive, attached to the machine I was backing up.  I do file-level backups to the DNS, and that is working fine.

Unless I'm mistaken - Acronis can be left running in the background (which I think is one of the big advantages of Acronis), so it really shouldn't matter how long it takes to make the image.  I've both imaged to and restored from the DNS-323 with no problems.

#24 2011-03-11 03:01:12

dcx_badass

I am using Raid 1. In the end it took 22, yes 22 hours to copy my 650GB. Anyway my friend might just buy it off me instead. Is there a way for me to convert the Raid 1 to a single drive without wiping it?
Just as it took so long to do these files I may aswell leave them on for him, but he only wants one drive (and I need some for my new NAS project). This DNS-323 is very cool, just not for me I on't think.

Thanks for all the help.

#25 2011-03-11 14:58:01

fordem

dcx_badass wrote:

Anyway my friend might just buy it off me instead. Is there a way for me to convert the Raid 1 to a single drive without wiping it?

1 - Remove one drive and reformat the other
2 - Remove the newly formatted drive and insert the drive removed in step 1

Please remember to power the unit off before removing drives.

Board footer