DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2011-03-18 03:03:15

dcx_badass

Re: A few 323 questions.

Thanks, I did that but didn't remove the formatted one, just stuck the other in aswell and it worked fine, just had to map the other drive in windows (is there a way to do this without the D-Link disk?) and it worked great see's them as two seperate drives and no data lost. My dads buying it off me now so I'm just playing around with it till he gets some hard drives, to see what he can and can't do without losing data.

Also I connected one of the drives in a USB enclosure with windows 7 and used a free program to browse the drive and files and that worked fine. My next step on saturday will be to try and write to the drive from windows then put it back in the NAS and see if it still takes it.

I'll report back.

#27 2011-03-18 13:26:44

fordem

You asked for a single drive not standard drives, so you got instructions for a single drive.

Mapping a drve without the DLink ESU can be done, it's standard Windows functionality, DLink provides the ESU to make life easy for new users - if you want step-by-step instructions I'll need to know what version of Windows you're running, since Microsoft saw fit to change the names of stuff.

Essentially it's open explorer (libraries in W7) and navigate your way to the folder and then right click on it, select map drive and follow the prompts - or you can just righht click on network, select map drive and then navigate your way to the folder.

#28 2011-03-18 14:22:27

dcx_badass

Yeah I know I asked for single drive instructions, it worked create and then I just built on it, am currently in ubuntu writing files to the drive via a usb - sata bridge, will put it back in the NAS in a minute and see how it goes

I'm using Windows 7 atm.

Also can I change back to Raid 1 from a single drive without formatting the one full of data? I'm just playing at the moment and seeing what I can and can't do. Thanks.

Ok, it half worked, the files are on the drive, the drive is accepted, shown in status as the space taken, shown in explorer the space is taken.
When I open the drive I can see the files and folders in the root, but no matter what I select it says access denied. Any ideas? I can access the other drive fine, just not this one, strange. Tried with FTP aswell and get the same error. Any ideas as it was much faster as over the network.

Last edited by dcx_badass (2011-03-18 14:55:52)

#29 2011-03-18 16:38:28

fordem

With regard going from a single drive to RAID1 - when you power up the system after inserting a new drive (or one without partitions), when you log into the admin webpage there will be a prompt to format the new drive, and there will be a check box that you can tick to create a RAID1 array.

With regard the access denied - it's probably an issue of ownership - as in the person who owns the files and the person who is trying to access the files are different people.  I believe it can be fixed using chmod, if you have telnet access into the NAS.

#30 2011-04-14 02:23:05

dcx_badass

That worked fine.

Anyway, just getting it ready to give to the person tomorrow, but why is this damn NAS so slow. I'm getting 7mb/s again FFS.

Have got no higher than 8mb/s in the following situations.

My PC w/ Windows 7 client to DNS-323 running two Samsung 2TB F4's in Raid 1
My PC w/ Windows 7 client to DNS-323 running two Samsung 2TB F4's in Raid 1 with jumbo frames enabled
My PC w/ Windows 7 client to DNS-323 running one samsung 1.5TB F2 as a standard drive
HP Proliant Server with WHS Vail to DNS-323 running one samsung 1.5TB F2 as a standard drive

All direct with no router involved direct gigabit to gigabit. I think I've elimenated most factors so any ideas?

#31 2011-04-14 02:37:48

dhub

The difference between ext2 and ext3 is ext3 is a journaled filesystem. 

Which means in the event of an unclean shutdown the filesystem can be recovered to a known good state very quickly (seconds) while ext2 would require checking the entire thing which can take a number of hours if if the filesystem is a TB or more.

The journaling impacts performance but generally not enough to really be noticeable on the dns323 since the network is much slower than the disk anyways.

#32 2011-04-14 02:45:25

dcx_badass

Using EXT3 on them all, anyway thanks for the replies since posting have got the transfer speeds upto about 14mb/s which isn't amazing but will do I guess (my server I got to replace this does 70mb/s).
Anyway I changed to a crossover cable and changed to filezilla instead of a really old copy of flashfxp, it will do for now as the person won't be writing to it often, mainly reading.

Thanks.

Board footer