DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-03-25 17:21:23

wires

How to maximize network throughput

I'm trying to maximize the data transfer rate to and from my DNS-323.  I've researched the factors that effect network
data transfer rates and I've been replacing network and PC components recently with maximizing throughput in mind. 

Here is my setup:

NAS -
DNS-323 with firmware version 1.07
A pair of Western Digital (model WD1002FAEX) 1 TB 7200 RPM Caviar SATA 6.0 Gb/s 64 MB cache drives with a sustained data transfer rate of 126 MB/s
No RAID.  I use the D-Link download scheduler to copy all data from Master to Slave every night.

PC -
mobo: ASUS P6X58D Premium with PCIe Gigabit LAN ports
RAM: 4 GB
CPU: Intel i7 quad core 3.07 Ghz
SSD:  Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB Solid State Drive

Network hardware -
Cat6 network cables everywhere
Linksys e2000 Gigabit router

With all that I get download (NAS to Windows) speeds of around 20.1 MB/second and upload (Windows to NAS) speeds of around 5.75 MB/second. Are there any network gurus out there who can give me some advice on where the choke point(s) might be and how to remediate them?

#2 2011-03-25 21:47:32

fordem

Re: How to maximize network throughput

Choke point is the NAS itself - I can suggest steps to maximize the numbers, but in reality where you are is probably as good as it gets.

1 - file sizes - I suspect you may be transferring large numbers of smaller files - do the measurements with larger files 1~2GB - you'll probably see the speeds increase.

2 - switch to jumbo frame - you can get anywhere between 100~150% more throughput

As I said - in reality, where you are is as good as it gets - does knowing you can do 30MB/min read and 20MB/min write with 2GB files help you any if your data is a large collection of MP3 files (2~3MB each)

Also look at how you're transferring the data - just as an example - you can do a back up by copying the data across using Windows Explorer,or you can use a backup utility - a backup utility that writes the data in blocks (eg BackupExec) compresses the data into 1GB blocks and will write to the drive faster than Windows Explorer.

I once obssessed over transfer speeds and poked, prodded & tweaked, but after a while reality sinks in, I now schedule the backup to run in the wee hours of the morning and forget about it.

Board footer