DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-04-04 03:29:00

TangoMan

Thank you!

I just wanted to post a "Thank You" to Fonz for ffp and to all the others who have taken time to write up articles in the wiki.  Thanks to you I have my DNS-321 set up to behave the way I want.  While, once ffp was in, I might have been able to get it all done myself, the wiki saved me what was probably days of frustration and trial and error.

I now have my DNS-321 set up so I have multiple users, with their home directories in /mnt/HD_a2/home.  Each user and home directory has been set up for read access for only that user (to preserve privacy in backups of personal folders -- it keeps peace in the family by preventing snooping) and can be synced through rsync over ssh, which gives everyone using the home LAN their own personal backup.  (No quotas, none needed at this time.)  All I had to do was add a cron job on all the computers in the home to backup (through rsync) the personal folders to my NAS.

Eventually I'll be setting up a wifi bridge to a relative's house who lives in the neighborhood so the DNS-321 will be an off-site backup.  In the other house, there'll be a mini-LAN consisting only of my wifi router and the DNS-321.  Since that's in a location I don't have 100% control over, that's another reason to use ssh for rsync and to make all the home directories readable only to the owner.

Thanks again!  ffp let me do a lot of cool things on this NAS and the wiki saved me hours or maybe even days!

#2 2011-04-04 22:18:18

electroMilk

Re: Thank you!

+1

This forum, the helpfulness of the users here, and definitely the wiki itself is incredible.
This is why I bought the DNS-323, and recommend it to geeky friends.
The work the people here is doing makes this small cheap box into an insane monster of pure awesome.

Thank you!

Board footer