DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-04-14 01:33:53

jamieburchell

Started getting "Buffer I/O error" with USB enclosure

Hi all

I've been successfully backing up my DNS-323 via its USB port to a SATA enclosure with a SATA drive. Lately, I've noticed the rsync hangs and dmesg shows messages like:

Buffer I/O error on device sdg1, logical block xxx

The number increments every so often, all I can do is pull the plug on the NAS as it won't kill the process or reboot.

I've since replaced the USB cable and SATA enclosure and tried another drive and I'm still getting this.

I've now got the drive on test to verify it's OK, I've stuck another drive in the enclosure to try again and so far it's working.

The only thing I can think of is that I've rebooted the DNS-323 and started the backup which now seems to be quite happy, whereas before it had been on for a while. I have no idea where to start troubleshooting this one. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Jamie.

I also have ffp running on an SD card in the enclosure - and that is always fine.

#2 2011-04-14 02:03:16

dhub

Re: Started getting "Buffer I/O error" with USB enclosure

If the problem went away after rebooting I'd suspect the kernel usb storage drive had issues.  Which generally requires unloading/reloading the driver or rebooting (rebooting tends to be the simpler of the two options)

#3 2011-04-14 11:06:29

jamieburchell

Thanks for the reply. The hard drive that was in the enclosure passed WD extended tests, and the other hard drive that I put in last night is still being backed up to with no issues.

Is this usb-storage.ko? Is there a newer version I should be looking for?

Thanks

Jamie

#4 2011-04-14 13:51:12

jamieburchell

I think I may have more pieces to the puzzle. While the backup was going on, I tried to "tail" a large log file on the SD card also connected via USB. I got a segmentation fault, then dmesg showed these buffer errors - then I was kicked out of SSH (running on the SD).

Last edited by jamieburchell (2011-04-14 19:18:47)

#5 2011-04-14 19:04:18

dhub

Is the SD card plugged into a powered USB hub?

#6 2011-04-14 19:17:49

jamieburchell

Yes, it's a combined SATA enclosure and card reader. It's powered. I've got a 4GB SD card which FFP runs on quite happily, never had any issues with that. It's just when I start my rsync backup from the NAS to the SATA drive in the enclosure I've started running in to these issues. My backup is still running quite happily since I left it alone (i.e. not trying to tail any large log files)...

When the rsync is running, it writes to a log which is also on the SD card. I wondered if that was contributing so I've put the log on the hard drive now. Not sure it would really make much difference.

Last edited by jamieburchell (2011-04-14 19:19:11)

#7 2011-04-15 01:28:53

jamieburchell

Gah, looks like it happened again without any intervention from me. Lost access to the SD card running lighttpd and SSH - had to nuke the box and start it up again. I'm not sure what's causing this.

Board footer