DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#51 2011-08-04 18:44:48

techsmith

Re: OSX Lion and netatalk

Frans wrote:

So no solution for the slow connecting problem? Can't really understand if you experience the same problem.

The DHX2 authentication is very CPU intensive.  It maxes out our poor simple Arm CPUs.  During the delay, the CPU is loaded 100% the whole time.  As far as I understand the only way this delay will go away is if:

1. DHX2 authentication is disabled -> but this will of course break compatibility with Lion without hacking.  I read an official QNAP (beta?) firmware gives an option to disable DHX2 to speed up connections to OS-X versions prior to Lion.
2. DHX2 authentication code is optimized -> but for all I know it may already be well optimized.  And if not, I don't know if it would be libgcrypt, netatalk, or both that need optimizing.

techsmith

#52 2011-08-06 18:52:25

hcdwoo

Complied the following on my dns323, seems to be working with mbp running Lion, hope it's of use to someone.

avahi-0.6.30-1.tgz
libdaemon-0.14-1.tgz (required for avahi)
db51-5.1.25-1.tgz
netatalk-2.2.0-1.tgz (compiled with db51 from above, libgpg-error-1.10-1 and libgcrypt-1.5.0-1 from rr-m on post #8)

thanks to everyone who contributed to this post to get us here!

#53 2011-08-07 01:02:31

ZBB

hcdwoo -
Thanks for posting your compiled packages...

I had just started compiling them -- so this saves some time.  I was having a problem compiling avahi though (kept getting an error on intltool -- was saying the version I had was too old and I needed one > 0.35.0, even though I have the ffp package installed, which is 0.40.6)...

#54 2011-08-07 07:31:18

hcdwoo

@zbb, if you look at a few lines above that error in the build log, you should find the actual problem, you could be missing other dependencies, like perl/perl modules, just funpkg -i those.

#55 2011-08-07 10:33:59

a_b_c

I did compile the packages myself as well and got everything up and running successfully.

There are two points that disturb me though.

1) I would like the time machine backups in a folder of /mnt/HD_a2 and not directly in the root. I have put the following in my AppleVolumes.default file:

/mnt/HD_a2 Volume_1AFP options:usedots,upriv,tm
/mnt/HD_a2/AppleTimeMachine AppleTimeMachineAFP options:upriv,usedots,tm

I can see and use Volume_1AFP in Timemachine, but for some reason the AppleTimeMachineAFP does not show up in Timemachine. I do not understand why?

2) The AFP volume shows up nicely in Finder under the shared items. But clicking on it always gives a 'not connected' status. It gives it very quickly (within the second). Only when I use Go/connect to network server it properly connects (takes much longer). Once connected through Go/connect to network server, clicking the AFP volume under the shared items in Finder works well. I don't understand why?

Anyone a magic clue?

thnx
Jer

#56 2011-08-08 16:39:08

techsmith

a_b_c wrote:

I did compile the packages myself as well and got everything up and running successfully.

There are two points that disturb me though.

1) I would like the time machine backups in a folder of /mnt/HD_a2 and not directly in the root. I have put the following in my AppleVolumes.default file:

/mnt/HD_a2 Volume_1AFP options:usedots,upriv,tm
/mnt/HD_a2/AppleTimeMachine AppleTimeMachineAFP options:upriv,usedots,tm

I can see and use Volume_1AFP in Timemachine, but for some reason the AppleTimeMachineAFP does not show up in Timemachine. I do not understand why?
Jer

I think you need to type this command, but not sure (definitely needed it with my old setup):
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

a_b_c wrote:

2) The AFP volume shows up nicely in Finder under the shared items. But clicking on it always gives a 'not connected' status. It gives it very quickly (within the second). Only when I use Go/connect to network server it properly connects (takes much longer). Once connected through Go/connect to network server, clicking the AFP volume under the shared items in Finder works well. I don't understand why?

Are you sure you didn't shut down the afpd daemon and restart it (for testing)?  I've seen this happen if you do this.

#57 2011-08-08 20:27:08

a_b_c

techsmith wrote:

I think you need to type this command, but not sure (definitely needed it with my old setup):
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

Are you sure you didn't shut down the afpd daemon and restart it (for testing)?  I've seen this happen if you do this.

thanks for info techsmith. I did have the systemprefs set correctly, since I did see volume_1 (which also needs the setting otherwise I indeed dont see it in time machine).

As for the afpd daemon, I retried it. Reboot of CH3SNAS, reboot of Macbook. Then click in Finder on the shared item (Volume1_AFP). It doesnt connect. I leave the CH3SNAS untouched and use on the Macbook connect to server and then it works well. I guess the Finder uses a different user then I can enter with connect to server option. I however don't know how to change the user in Finder. Some magic clue?

#58 2011-08-09 18:53:10

techsmith

a_b_c wrote:

As for the afpd daemon, I retried it. Reboot of CH3SNAS, reboot of Macbook. Then click in Finder on the shared item (Volume1_AFP). It doesnt connect. I leave the CH3SNAS untouched and use on the Macbook connect to server and then it works well. I guess the Finder uses a different user then I can enter with connect to server option. I however don't know how to change the user in Finder. Some magic clue?

After you click on the server in Finder, if you look on the top right of the empty finder window while it is trying to connect, there is a button that says "Change User" or something to that effect.

#59 2011-08-09 21:22:49

a_b_c

techsmith wrote:

a_b_c wrote:

After you click on the server in Finder, if you look on the top right of the empty finder window while it is trying to connect, there is a button that says "Change User" or something to that effect.

Arg. Compiling packages, hacking scripts etc all no problem, but finding a simple button on the screen! *blush* that was the trick. Thanks!

Jer

#60 2011-08-12 18:26:59

techsmith

a_b_c wrote:

Arg. Compiling packages, hacking scripts etc all no problem, but finding a simple button on the screen! *blush* that was the trick. Thanks!
Jer

Hehehe I guess you're a Linux person at heart.  More scripts!

Techsmith

#61 2011-08-26 06:04:33

ZBB

Just a quick post to thank those that contributed to this thread.

I successfully upgraded my DNS 323 to netatalk 2.2.0 a couple weeks ago -- its working great...

#62 2011-08-27 22:55:57

krimb1

Just a quick thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread as well!

hcdwoo wrote:

Complied the following on my dns323, seems to be working with mbp running Lion, hope it's of use to someone.

avahi-0.6.30-1.tgz
libdaemon-0.14-1.tgz (required for avahi)
db51-5.1.25-1.tgz
netatalk-2.2.0-1.tgz (compiled with db51 from above, libgpg-error-1.10-1 and libgcrypt-1.5.0-1 from rr-m on post #8)

thanks to everyone who contributed to this post to get us here!

For those who may prefer mediafire instead, I've made a quick mirror of all of the above here

Last edited by krimb1 (2011-08-27 23:01:50)

#63 2011-08-30 05:29:52

dtidmore

Any ideas???

As others have already stated, thanks a million to those that have contributed to getting TM on the DNS323 working, BUT, I must be overlooking something as I am still hitting a roadblock.

I previously had a full AFP version of TM working on my DNS323 which of course died with Lion.  I have install successfully all of the hcdwoo's compiles, including the lib* files and checking them with another attempt at updating them shows all the latest versions installed.  I can now attach to my DNS323 via AFP which gives me confidence that avahi and netatalk are working.  I can attach to another volume that I setup as an APF volume successfully.

My problem is that whenever either TM or any attempt is made to directly open the volume set with the option:tm flag, I get the same error as noted in post 46.  I moved my original TM volume to a new name and created a blank volume so that I would be starting clean.  I have also run dbd -s on my volume and it comes up clean.  I added the file to start up the chid_metad as mentioned in post  and here is a ps showing that is running along with the other processes. 

1993 messageb /opt/bin/dbus-daemon --system
1997 avahi    avahi-daemon: running [dlink-73C374.local]
1999 root     /ffp/sbin/cnid_metad
2002 root     /ffp/sbin/afpd
2026 superuse /ffp/sbin/afpd

Any thoughts on why I am still getting error message indicating cnid errors?  This has to be something simple I have overlooked.

I just noticed that my TM volume is showing the size that I set (393.22GB) but it shows ZERO bytes available.  Deleted and recreated with same results. It has NOTHING in it.  The other AFP volume that attaches (i.e. NOT set with option:tm) properly shows the proper amount of space avail (i.e. 489.53GB).  Is this a bug or part of the CNID error issues?

UPDATE!
I finally decided that something left over from the older netatalk, db or avahi was lingering around.  I returned the DNS-323 to factory settings (1.0.9) reformatted the drives (ext3, RAID1) and did a completely fresh install of all the various pieces.  I still have the issue that if I set a volsizelimit to anything, the volume reports zero available.  So, I used a utility that creates a limited volume size sparcebundle file that I copy into the TM volume.  This has the same effect of limiting TM to a fixed size smaller than the entire DNS323 disc space.  TM is backing up now and so far so good.

Thanks
David

Last edited by dtidmore (2011-08-31 01:27:08)

#64 2011-08-31 17:22:08

thebeck

Don't use the volsizelimit parameter.  I am still testing 2.2.0, but I, too, had problems with it.  Once I removed the parameter and started with fresh Time Machine backups, everything went okay.

In regards to the sparsebundle, keep in mind that you don't need to manually create it.  With everything setup correctly (including the trick in avahi to present the NAS as a valid TimeCapsule), your Mac will create the sparsebundle on its own.

In regards to the size of the sparsebundle, it is a misnomer that it will take up all the space on your NAS.  The sparsebundle may virtually attempt allocate as much space as possible, but in reality it does not physically grab it (see `df -m`).  Moreover, on every backup, TimeMachine will recompute the max virtual size of the sparsebundle based on how much physical space is left on the device, and if the physical size nears the max virtual size, it will automatically start removing old backups so that the physical size is below the max virtual size.

#65 2011-09-03 20:16:03

sarkhudri

I was able to do the first backup (it took about 14 hours) for 188GB
for the second backup the TimeMachine try to look for backup disk then i got this error

Time Machine could not complete the backup.
The backup disk image “/Volumes/Volume_1-2/._SarmadMac_MACADDRESS.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).

I don't understand why it try to reach Volume_1-2? my backup suppose to be on Volume_1

any idea

Update:
some time I got the same error but with Volume_1

Time Machine could not complete the backup.
The backup disk image “/Volumes/Volume_1/._SarmadMac_MACADDRESS.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).

Solved:
it looks like the original backup did not finish, and TM renamed the sparse bundle  to
SarmadMac.sparsebundle (the mac address was removed).

so I renamed back the sparse bundle to
SarmadMac_MACADDRESS.sparsebundle

and start the backup, this time the backup worked fine

but I found out that the backup takes long time even if there is no changes

1min looking for backup disk
1min preparing for backup
4min backing up
5min indexing
5min don't know (no description)
5min indexing backup (again)
1min finish backup

total about 20 minutes !!!

is this is normal ?

Last edited by sarkhudri (2011-09-04 01:14:32)

#66 2011-09-05 13:31:58

rx2

I am running netatalk 2.2.0 and avahi 0.6.30 - but as other have mentioned performance is pretty slow in 2 regards. 1st is when Lion is connecting to the AFP share - takes 1-2 minutes. And second is Time Machine is extremely slow. Its upto 3.9Gigs after 3.5hours and still going.........

Does anyone have any suggestions on speeding up the initial connection, or can comment on how long there initial backups are taking??

#67 2011-09-06 19:37:14

thebeck

Netatalk 2.2.1 was released today (see the following):
    http://www.netafp.com/downloads/changelog/
    http://marc.info/?l=netatalk-devel& … 87&w=2

Since I don't have a build environment, I look forward to all of your hard work once the 2.2.1 source hits sourceforge.

#68 2011-09-21 04:22:44

mitchkramez

Another work around to the connection issues is this KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700

You just need to enable DHCAST128 which is what the examples walks you through. Worked great for me.

Last edited by mitchkramez (2011-09-29 04:58:56)

#69 2011-09-29 04:58:44

mitchkramez

Apologies guys - This is the KB article I mean to paste in, I've updated my post to prevent confusion going forward:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700

#70 2011-10-02 04:49:32

ctump

I have spent the past few weeks trying to get Time Machine backups to work with Lion and my DNS-323, but no luck yet.  I have followed many suggestions on this site and other.  I did NOT have this working before, so my problems are not necessarily only with Lion.

- AFP drive mounting works
- netatalk 2.2 installed  (along with all the other related files/services)
- sparsebundle created
- I can see the drive in Time Machine

I get the following error each time:

"The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features."

Any suggestions or steps that I can follow to check things would be greatly appreciated.

#71 2011-10-13 01:56:01

fredow68

Maybe i have the solution: edit AppleVolumes.default file and add "options:tm" to the description of your afp drive to enable TimeMachine (tm) capabilities

#72 2011-10-13 01:59:06

ctump

Thanks for the advice, I just got it running yesterday and didn't get a chance to update my post.  You were spot on, there was a problem with my apple defaults file.  I had the tm option in there but I had some other things as well that appeared to cause it not to work properly.  Once I reverted to the original, and added tm, it was up and running!

#73 2011-10-17 10:14:18

dns_fan

Finally upgraded to Lion (from Leopard) and decided it was time to get Time Machine working with our DNS-323.  Unfortunately, my linux skills are beginner-level at best. 

My issue is similar to some of those already posted, but with a twist.  I've installed FFP and my TM can see Volume_1 on the DNS-323.  I have Netatalk 2.0 installed and know that I need to have 2.2 installed to resolve the "The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features." error. 

I attempted to install the files listed by HCDWOO, but because I don't know exactly what to do, I found step-by-step instructions for installing the same files on a DNS-320 here (http://www.shadowandy.net/2011/08/time- … ns-320.htm). I ran into a couple of errors.

1. The web admin page for my DNS-323 doesn't have a way to disable the AFP service.  So instead I found the process # AFP ran under and killed it.  Not sure if this was a correct alternative.

2. When running the install scripts, everything installed except for Netatalk 2.2.  I got the error message "Skipped: Netatalk 2.0 already installed".

Any advice on how to uninstall Netatalk 2.0 first and if the steps I was following will actually work on a DNS-323?  Thanks in advance for your assistance!

#74 2011-10-25 19:55:27

hcdwoo

#75 2011-11-10 14:00:30

kingklobber

Thanks for the great thread.

For those who are still looking for it, version 2.2.1:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vm5dqovuq … .2.1-1.tgz

Board footer