DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-08-26 20:28:49

TuxHH

Alt-F hanging nfs shares

Hello,

on my status page i found this

Remotely Mounted Filesystems
Host     Dir/Share     FS
192.168.1.128    /mnt/md0/media    nfs
192.168.1.142    /mnt/md0/media    nfs

Both are very old mounts, the computers are switched off and the ip is no more in use. Mybe this was a pc shutdown without umount oft the alt-f share. Is it possible to workaround this on the dns-232? I think about a nfs server restart or something else. At the moment alt-f did not switch the dns into sleep mode.

Eric

#2 2011-08-29 01:22:48

jcard

Re: Alt-F hanging nfs shares

The status page shows the information stored in the /var/lib/nfs/rmtab file.

When a client mounts a nfs share, and entry is added in the file, and when the client unmounts the share the entry is removed. This is nfs, not Alt-F.

This file, as other nfs "state" files, is stored on disk, in the eventuality that if the server crashes (power-off, e.g) it can resume operation cleanly after a reboot, serving the shares to the still alive clients.
Of course things sometimes goes wrong, and stale entries show up in that file. To recover, unmount the shares on all clients, stop the server, remove the file, restart the server and remount the shares at the clients.
To remove the file, you have to resort to the command line,executing as the 'root' user the command
   rm /var/lib/nfs/rmtab

> At the moment alt-f did not switch the dns into sleep mode

Some client/server "talking" can avoid disks to go into sleep...

The decision to store server info on disk, to allow recovery after a crash, might avoid disk spin-down, as the server might be updating those disk files. One could argue that the dns is not an enterprise server, and that disk spindown is more important than server recovery... what does you guys think about this?

Please consider discussing Alt-F at http://groups.google.com/group/alt-f/topics
Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#3 2011-08-29 19:45:14

TuxHH

Re: Alt-F hanging nfs shares

Ah i understand the problem, so nfs restart or full reboot did not help. There are lost lines in the rmtab, i will investigate this file.

For stability and powersaving i like a programmed timeout if a nfs link is not used for a while. The dlna itself does the same, going to idle if there is nothing to serve.

Board footer