DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-09-07 09:43:22

dbsanders

Double Drive Failure???

After some heavy I/O tonight, the NAS stopped responding. Was running RAID 1.

Power-cycled. Now, the left disk turned amber, and the right LED was flashing green. Removed the disks and tried to mount the left disk in Windows (with IFS driver). Didn't work at all (I do see the partitions though), and the right disk I did see data for a while but now started giving "clicks" when trying to access, spinning down/up constantly.

What are the chances of a double failure? Could the controller in the 323 toast both drives somehow?

#2 2011-09-07 18:23:10

fordem

Re: Double Drive Failure???

How long is a piece of string?

Simultaneous double disk failures do occur, they are not that common, but I have seen it happen - and it is theoretically possible that the SATA controller in the NAS toasted both drives, but, I'd consider that unlikely - what may be more likely is that a failed fan coupled with the heat from continuous heavy disk activity cooked your drives (I've also seen drives destroyed by overheating but not in a DNS-323).

I'd suggest trying that left disk with a different IFS driver (especially if you're using ext2ifs) as there may be format incompatibilities with later versions of the DNS-323 firmware or perhaps with a live linux bootable CD (you may need to mount the disk/partition to make it visible).

#3 2011-09-07 18:37:05

dbsanders

Thanks, I'll boot Linux tonight to verify. Beyond that, maybe I'll be trying one of the data recovery companies.

Bret

#4 2011-09-08 08:24:49

spidertnt

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago ...had a 2 disk setup 2 x 1tb Hitachi. Working great for week  ...doing lots of O/I and the DNS stopped responding.
I waited for hours not wanting to interrupt. Eventually powered cycled it off.

Both drives were toast ..seemed like a bios failure....i tried the windows IFS nothing.

RMA both drives.

Last edited by spidertnt (2011-09-08 08:25:33)

#5 2011-09-09 06:50:24

dbsanders

Just for fun, I put the drives back into the NAS and powered it on tonight. It did click a couple times, but then surprisingly the web page came up. However, the config seems to be reset, and asking to setup the RAID. Did it erase the partitions or what?

What's next to get the data back?

#6 2011-09-09 10:42:49

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Did you already try a Linux PC? Here is some information about mounting a (half) raid1 array manually.

If your array is really damaged, and cannot be mounted, you can, depending on the nature of your data, try PhotoRec.

#7 2011-09-10 06:19:50

fordem

dbsanders wrote:

Just for fun, I put the drives back into the NAS and powered it on tonight. It did click a couple times, but then surprisingly the web page came up. However, the config seems to be reset, and asking to setup the RAID. Did it erase the partitions or what?

What's next to get the data back?

Well - doing things for "fun" can often make matters worse.

The NAS doesn't even need drives in it to get the web page up, so you haven't made an great advances, if it's asking to setup the RAID it must be seeing at least one of the drives - it needs two drives for RAID, but some of the format screens are the same - skip/cancel the format, check the status and see what it shows for drives and sync time, and see if the data is accessible in the usual fashion.

Board footer