DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-06-29 08:44:10

Tack

Share not accessible after reboot - CONFIRMED

HI,
New member :-)

Reading the WIKI - Asked for confirmation of above issue......CONFIRMED !

FWIW - New DNS 323 (Australia) Came with Firmware 1.02.

Initial "set-up" Raid 1 (2x500gb Samsung). 

Network:   Modem->(Wireless capable) router->gigabit switch -> 3 desktops + 1 wireless (802.11g) laptop

Access control/admin panel OK

Ping OK

Unable to Map drives, or access unit from Network Places on all 4 Win XP (Pro) SP2 computers. Unable to Map drives with Easy_search 3.5

Starting (or stopping) Quota service ; OR Saving a change in "network access" settings both permit "normal" / full access. [edit] i.e can then map drives and access from network places etc.

Upgrade to Firmware 1.03 (Still not available on Australian site!) - Identical situation. roll

Problem recurs with warm reboot or cold boot.

Easy enough to regain full/normal access by going into the admin panel etc. But it is a PITA hmm

Haven't enabled telnet yet - will do so soon and try out the "smb restart" workaround.

Is this only affecting SOME units? Any idea why?

Otherwise - happy (Tried and ditched the print server option - too slow- read all about failed prints / flushing the print que etc)

This forum and the WIKI are a GREAT resource big_smile Thanks to all of you

Last edited by Tack (2007-07-11 08:41:32)

Tack
Canberra
Australia

#2 2007-06-29 15:06:47

MiK

Re: Share not accessible after reboot - CONFIRMED

How much time passes between that the unit starts and you try to access it?

#3 2007-06-29 15:26:23

Tack

MiK wrote:

How much time passes between that the unit starts and you try to access it?

G'day Mik - doesn't matter - can be 1 minute after boot completes, or 2 hours - I tried both -  I thought there might have been some kind of network propagation required, so I waited - and waited - but no help - as soon as I do what I said - I am in....
Have you noticed this at all?

Thanks
Tack

Tack
Canberra
Australia

#4 2007-06-29 15:52:56

Apskaft

Hi,

I'm still on 1.01 (!!!) and experience this problem whenever I reboot/restart my DNS. I think the problem has something to do with how the DNS starts Samba. From what I've seen, the smb deamon is started, killed and then started again - which I guess can cause some confusion on the network.

I think also that the problem might depend on which computers (OS versions) that are available when a reboot takes place.  When a CIFS machine starts it broadcasts its OS version to all other machines and the one with the largest number 'wins' this negotiation (less bugs?) and becomes 'local master browser'.

Most of the time a reboot happens when my W2K laptop is used to reboot the DNS. I guess that when DNS starts the DNS becomes 'local browser master' but fails this due to the dual start of Samba; this since (??) the DNS wins the election - but loses the information that it won (??).

Havn't really tested this with the XP machine - but maybe someone else has. It might be so that the problem is only relevant for some OS'es.

And; if you leave the machines on for a while (hours/days) the problem is resolved since Samba is rebooted from time to time by the DNS (chasing memory leaks maybe?).

Anyway; I simple workaround would be to add a 'sleep' and a 'smb restart' in the fun_plug. Another solution would be to change "os level" to something very low on the DNS so that it always loose the election. Dunno if smb.conf is stored in flash or if it's changeable though.

HTH/Apan

#5 2007-06-30 00:44:28

MiK

Tack wrote:

Have you noticed this at all?

I had the same problem in 1.01 and 1.02 that I couldn't access the DNS's network shares until I "touched" the config in the web admin, but since 1.03 I don't have this problem anymore..

(I didn't change any of my config between 1.02 and 1.03)

Btw, if I use the telnet from fonz fun_plug, I see *three* Samba processes?!?

/ # ps -ef
PID   USER     COMMAND
    1 root     init                               
    2 root     [ksoftirqd/0]
    3 root     [events/0]
    4 root     [khelper]
    5 root     [kthread]
   11 root     [kblockd/0]
   14 root     [khubd]
   51 root     [pdflush]
   53 root     [aio/0]
   52 root     [kswapd0]
  190 root     [scsi_eh_0]
  191 root     [scsi_eh_1]
  192 root     [scsi_eh_2]
  193 root     [scsi_eh_3]
  204 root     [mtdblockd]
  219 root     [kcryptd/0]
  220 root     [kmirrord/0]
  248 root     [loop0]
1205 root     atd
1208 root     smbd -D
1210 root     nmbd -D
1698 root     chkbutton
1705 root     /sys/custom/upnp/upnp 0 D-Link Corporation http://www.redsonic.com D-Link Network Storage Enclosure DN
1714 root     /web/webs
1720 root     fancontrol
1743 root     op_server 3 3 3
1750 root     -sh
1793 root     lpd Waiting
1835 root     crond
1933 root     /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/bin/telnetd -l /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/bin/sh
13034 root     ftpd: accepting connections on port ##                                                             
13372 root     /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/bin/lighttpd -f /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/etc/lighttpd.conf
25916 root     smbd -D
2217 root     [pdflush]
10335 root     /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/bin/sh
10340 root     ps -ef

/MiK

#6 2007-06-30 10:37:19

Apskaft

MiK wrote:

Btw, if I use the telnet from fonz fun_plug, I see *three* Samba processes?!?

That's normal Samba behaviour. I think there are 2-3 processes for each connection. Don't worry about that.

/Apan

#7 2007-06-30 11:40:35

Tack

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Did a little more experimenting today. Not sure it is going to simplify things smile

I have found that with a "warm" reboot, SOME of the machines have "normal" access to the DNS and some have the "network path not found" error. Not sure this fits with your thoughts  Apskaft? Interestingly - and oddly - the machine that I do the reboot from ( via the web gui) usually DOES have normal access afterwards. Seen this both with the wireless laptop and one of the desktops....

Also left the system up and running for several hours and did not find a spontaneous resolution - probably NOT long enough for the auto samba reboot to take place?

I Also reflashed the firmware - just for the heck of it - 1.03 -> 1.03 ...initially thought it had mad a change but - subsequently not... sad

Further to your comments Apskaft - I DO notice that WIN XP reports the presence of a "new UPNP" device - and when I open Network neighbourhood I see 2 or 3 listings for the DNS - then NONE as it refreshes - this is corroboration of the double smb boot process you mention?

Interesting problem - still unsure it is consistent but will continue to 'play' and try and document it  more adequately....

Any other ideas, thoughts/
Thanks!  big_smile

Tack
Canberra
Australia

#8 2007-07-27 03:45:35

AF35

does this problem got resolved yet?
cos I'm currently facing this mounting problem as well with my newly bought DNS-323 it worked previously and after a while (maybe i didn't a reboot) it stopped letting me mapping the device at all and showing me network error.

firmware: 1.03

my windows can't map the device using either easy search tool nor the usual windows mapping methods.

someone please help me with this unstable system~

#9 2007-07-27 05:26:01

ka3ak

To all

hmmm ... Odd problem .... Never had it and I've been on 1.01 forever ... Just renewed 1.03 couple month ago .....
Just a lame suggestion : Did you guys put workgroup name on DNS323 same as on your Desktop/Laptops that you trying to access from ? Sometimes people forget about it smile

#10 2007-07-27 07:02:55

AF35

workgroup is been named the same as all the other computers in the same network.

doesn't help

#11 2007-07-27 15:12:40

Tack

AF35
I do NOT have a problem as long as I don't reboot/restart the DNS
If I do - I "just" telnet in and smb restart..... as per the wiki.. keep meaning to add sleep and smb restart to my fun_plug.....

As for the cause - I agree it may be a master browser issue in some way - BUT I do not think it is the DNS being elected... as I can find the other network units.. Haven't really come to grips with it at the moment as it works as well as I could hope.
Been up and consistent for 2 weeks now with no reboot required.

Tack
Canberra
Australia

#12 2007-07-27 15:43:33

DoubleJet

I have the same problem, live in Australia but updated FW from 1.02b to 1.03 as soon as I bought the DNS, despite the warnings about 1.03 being for US models only.

I just go through the setup wizard everytime I switch the DNS off then on again. Shouldn't have to do this but its the only way to make it available again. No fun_plug yet.

Mine stays on 24/7 usually so its not a big problem but I would like a solution, funny how so few people complain about it.

#13 2007-07-29 07:22:41

Big Pete

Tack wrote:

AF35
I do NOT have a problem as long as I don't reboot/restart the DNS
If I do - I "just" telnet in and smb restart.....

Thanks for that info Tack, This fixed my disappearing DNS-323 problem, i had to resort to putting the DNS in my hosts file, so i could find it when it disappeared.

Board footer