DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-10-08 09:50:09

djgreedo

How do I access my drives with Alt-F firmware?

Could somebody please help me get my NAS working?

Background:
I'm trying to get my DNS-323 running SABnzbd + Sickbeard and working as a dedicated downloading/media server. I want sabnzbd and sickbeard to auto run whenever the NAS is rebooted. I want the files downloaded and stored on the NAS to be accessible to my Windows PCs (an HTPC running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 8).

I've flashed the latest Alt-F firmware over the D-Link firmware and have Debian working. I can get SABnzbd and SickBeard to run, but my Debian Squeeze can't 'see' the disks in the NAS. I also don't know how to get the NAS to boot straight into Debian Squeeze.

When I go to /mnt/ folder there is not the usual /HD_a2/ etc. folders that represent the hard drives (I have two drives installed). Not being able to access these drives is stopping me from being able to set up sabnzbd.

I'm a total Linux noob, but I'm gradually getting there...

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have scoured these forums (as well as the internet as a whole) and can't find these answers:

1) Auto run Debian Squeeze on boot
2) Enable Debian Squeeze to 'see' all my disks (2 disks that Alt-F seems to have partitioned into 2 partitions each, a ~400mb partition and 1.6TB of each 2TB disk)
3) I can't find a way to install 'unrar', which sabnzbd needs to unrar files (tried apt-get install unrar)

What I've done so far:
Installed Alt-F by flashing the firmware
Installed Debian
Installed sabnzbd and sickbeard and the relevant packages these two need to run

I've followed a bunch of different tutorials and tried various different versions of funplug and Debian, but I keep hitting roadblocks (from being a noob).

#2 2011-10-08 14:35:31

djgreedo

Re: How do I access my drives with Alt-F firmware?

I think I may be doing this wrong...

If I let the Alt-F firmware boot as usual and then run Debian from the SSH (instead of executing it from within the web UI) I can get access to my disks from Windows.

So my question now is: how do I get the Debian to run automatically once the NAS boots?

I need to run these three commands I think:

debian chroot

/etc/init.d/sabnzbd start
/etc/init.d/sickbeard start

(the last two are scripts that automatically run when I execute debian from the web UI, but don't when I run 'debian chroot' from SSH).

And lastly, I'm still struggling to find a way to install unrar. Is nobody else running sabnzbd with unrar on Debian Squeeze?

#3 2011-10-08 15:21:29

djgreedo

OK, I've solved another problem: unrar

I had to get the file unrar_3.9.10-1_armel.deb and install it using the command:

dpkg --install unrar_3.9.10-1_armel.deb

So that's how to get unrar installed. Now SABnzbd no longer complains there is no unrar program.

I just need to get all this working on boot now.

#4 2011-10-09 17:28:10

jcard

When using Debian from within Alt-F "you are on your own" ;-/

There are two ways of using Debian from within Alt-F: 'chroot' and 'kexec'.
Both are possible using the 'debian' command:

Code:

~ # debian
usage: debian [-chroot [command] | -kexec]
A Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 installation was found at /mnt/sda3

-'chroot' keeps Alt-F kernel and services running, and Debian programs are started within it. 'chroot' means "change the filesystem root to the Debian one, execute command, but keep Alt-F programs and kernel running".

If you provide no arguments, then a shell will be executed and you can execute commands on it -- its a Debian shell (in fact it is 'bash', not the Alt-F 'ash' customary shell). If meanwhile you open another ssh session to the box and you issue the 'ps' command, you will see the usual processes and the new chroot processes.

If you provide arguments to chroot, such as 'debian -chroot cat /etc/issue', then the ''cat /etc/issue" Debian command will be executed, its output shown, and when it finishes control returns to Alt-F.

-'kexec' means "replace Alt-F with Debian" (Kernel EXECute): Alt-F stops itself and launches Debian, as if it was flashed. If you open another ssh session to the box, you will be logged in Debian, not Alt-F. You will have no fan control, e.g.

When you start Debian using the 'Execute' button in  the "Debian Setup" web page, you are in fact using the command 'debian -kexec' (read the button tooltip carefully).

If what you intend to do is to always use kexec, then it would be better for you to flash Debian since the very beginning.

As for the "autostart Debian" on boot question, have you checked Services->User->user->Configure? There is a "Script to execute on powerup:" entry field, where you can write the path of a script you wrote, such as /mnt/sda2/mybootscript.sh.

Unfortunately it might not work as expected, because the initscript that runs your script is executed very early on the boot processes, when the filesystem where it is (/mnt/sda2 in the above example) might not be already available.

I have to devise another way of executing user supplied initscripts. Perhaps looking for, and executing, a 'userscript.sh' file on the root of filesystems when they became available?

Joao

Last edited by jcard (2011-10-09 17:29:46)

Please consider discussing Alt-F at http://groups.google.com/group/alt-f/topics
Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#5 2011-10-09 17:59:46

djgreedo

Thanks for your help.

I ended up scrapping Alt-F and trying something else, so I've gone to a different method with the original firmware and FFP.

I'm now struggling to get SABnzbd and SickBeard to run due to python issues, but I think I can get it all working eventually using this method...

http://nas-tweaks.net/82/installing-and … -fun_plug/

I've been trying to get this NAS downloading stuff for months off and on, and every time I think I'm close something doesn't work!

thanks again

Board footer