DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-10-13 16:43:21

Keon91

Alt-f update python to 2.5 or 2.6

Hi jcard,

Would it be possible to update python from 2.4 to 2.5 or 2.6?

And would it be possible to compile par2cmdline 0.4 for alt-f so Sabnzbd and sickbeard can be run using the alt-f packages?

the source can be found up here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/parchiv … dline/0.4/

the unrar package already exists so that is not a problem.

It would be a great addition to Alt-f if sickbeard and sabnzbd and couchpatato were available as packages but I understand that this has not your priority.

It would be great if you can update python and compile par2cmdline 0.4 for alt-f.

Greetings

Last edited by Keon91 (2011-10-13 16:57:16)

#2 2011-10-13 21:00:35

jcard

Re: Alt-f update python to 2.5 or 2.6

Alt-F development environment suffers from an inception problem: it uses cross-compilation, and that poses a problem, because some software packages need to compile and run auxiliary programs while they are being compiled; that can't be done while cross-compiling, because the generated binaries have to be run on an ARM CPU, not on the intel CPU I use.

Of course, the solution is to use an ARM virtual machine, as the DNS CPU, memory and disk are not suitable for development. It can be done, some do it, but it is not comfortable to use.

I have been able to circumvent such problems for some packages, but it is a very time-consuming and error prone task.
Changing the build environment is also a complex task, as some scripts and patches I use might fail without notice. As Alt-F currently uses some 120 packages, checking them one by one is out of question.

Python, perl, ocam (needed for ml-donkey) and others have that problem, so, for the moment I will not provide packages for them (or for any package that depends on them).

ffp packages are compatible with Alt-F, and I will try harder to make Alt-F to be compatible with Optware packages. Having Debian on the box and using 'chroot' was also an attempt to alleviate the problem.

I'm not sure about the "correct" course of action to take...

Sorry,
Joao

Last edited by jcard (2011-10-13 21:16:52)

Please consider discussing Alt-F at http://groups.google.com/group/alt-f/topics
Please consider filling Alt-F bugs at http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/issues/list

#3 2011-10-13 22:22:29

Keon91

Re: Alt-f update python to 2.5 or 2.6

Thanks for your reply!

I was wondering, what is the best solution to install packages if their are no Alt-f packages available?

Optware, debian or ffp?

It's a great thing you released 0.1RC1 today. installed it over the snapshot2 release and ran de fix script just to be sure.

Greetings

Board footer