DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-12-12 20:36:07

camorri

DNS-323 Raid1 degrade - want to re-configure to "Normal"

When  I first set up my DNS-323 with two new WD 1 Tera byte drives, I set it up for Raid 1.  I use it for backing up 3 systems.

I saw one of the drive lights was a pink-ish colour. I looked at the Admin pages, and saw the drives were 'Degraded'.

I have fun-plug installed, so I can ssh into the system without problems. I can also use rsync, this is how I back up the files on my linux systems. It appears one disk is now removed from the raid 1 array, and the system is using just one.

I have tried many things. I removed the failed disk, re-inserted it, and have tried manually and automatically syncing and re-building the drive. All attempts fail. Error code 107 is reported.

I have done some searching, to find many comments saying raid 1 is not reliable on the DNS-323. Mine has failed with only about 10 hours of run time. I don't believe this is a disk failure, however, I can not prove that.

I have tried to re-configure the disks for Normal mode, one volume on each drive. This I can not get to work either. I have all my data on the DNS-323 backed up on my main system, so I can do what ever is necessary to the NAS.

Is there a procedure I can follow to set this thing up with two volumes? ie not raid 0 or raid 1.  I looked at the D-link site, under support, didn't find anything useful.

#2 2011-12-12 21:51:05

fordem

Re: DNS-323 Raid1 degrade - want to re-configure to "Normal"

Remove one drive and format the other as a standard volume, and then repeat with the other drive, once both drives have been formatted, insert both dribes and power on.

#3 2011-12-12 21:57:08

camorri

I'll give that a try, and report back. Thank-you for the response.

#4 2011-12-12 23:45:20

camorri

Well, that doesn't work either. With only one disk, it will not boot up unless its in the left hand bay. With the disk that was still O.K. in the left bay I can connect, however I can not format it.

I'm selecting Tools-->Raid-->Normal--> I get a warning the data will be lost, I click O.K. to continue, it runs for a few seconds, reports 3% then shows 100% failed, Error 107. This is with the disk that was O.K.

Not sure what to try next.

#5 2011-12-12 23:55:05

Thiam

camorri wrote:

All attempts fail. Error code 107 is reported.

I have done some searching, to find many comments saying raid 1 is not reliable on the DNS-323. Mine has failed with only about 10 hours of run time. I don't believe this is a disk failure, however, I can not prove that.

I do suspect a drive failure. Your scenario is similar to what I went through when one of my RADI1 disks failed.
Connect to disk to a PC, format it and remove all partitions. Recreate partitions, full format, and remove the partitions again. I all of this succeeds, insert again in the DNS 323.

#6 2011-12-13 00:01:35

camorri

The strange part I don't understand, is, one drive was reported as bad in the raid array. I can't format either drive in the NAS. One drive was working, I had full access to it, no problems copying files either way. Now I get error 107 on that drive when its by itself.

I should be able to put each drive in my desktop. It has 2 sata drives now. I have an OS on both disks. I can remove the second one, and delete partitions format etc. there. It'll be tomorrow...

#7 2011-12-13 13:47:14

fordem

The unit should boot up with NO hard drives, or one, or two in it.  Try connecting the disks to a PC and wiping the partitions off before formatting them.

Last edited by fordem (2011-12-13 13:47:43)

#8 2011-12-14 22:35:30

camorri

Just an update. I did some more reading and found out the WD10EARS drives I have are not supported on the NAS-323. D-link has released a beta level of firmware that is supposed to format the WDxxEARS drives so they will work as normal drives, not sure if they will work as Raid 1 though.

I have installed the 1.10 beta firmware, and reset to factory defaults. I still can not format the drives in the DNS-323. ( still error 107 ).

I'm going to remove the drives, and delete the partitions on my linux system. In theory, I will be able to format them on the DNS-323. I'll update this thread after I have time to do that little job...

#9 2011-12-20 00:29:37

camorri

This is an update. After installing the beta firmware, version 1.10, I was able to format one of my drives. The second one refused to format on the DNS-323 for reasons I could not determine. I deleted the partitions on my linux system without any problems. The one drive reported errors when I booted the system. I thought I had a bad drive.

The one drive I put in the right bay, and formatted it on the NAS. Worked fine, so I installed fun_plug, got ssh and mediatomb working. I moved all the data I had backed up to my linux system back onto the NAS on the one drive.

Next, I put the drive I had all the problems in the left bay. I followed this link -->http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=14484.0
to try and format the drive. To my surprise, I was able to partition, and format all three partitions.

I will now move some data onto the second drive, and see what happens. So far, so good.

Board footer