DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2012-01-21 01:47:45

toni

Different speed issue for different files - same disk, size, etc

Hi,

I'm running FW1.06 and experiencing the following situation. My transfer speed is different for different files. These are all large files (7-16GB) on the same HDD, these were downloaded almost at the same time, the disk is almost full (and was almost full as these files were downloaded). I can copy one 7GB file with over 20MB/s and an other 11GB file only with 5,6MB/s (same folder, same time). I checked some older files these are also downloading with different speed (one 5GB file is comming with 12MB/s other 6GB file is comming with constans 25MB/s).

I have jumbo frame on 9000 (both DNS-323 and adapter), no other optimization. Network trafic goes through two routers. Disabling the jumbo will drop speed of the fast transfers but does not effect the slowones.

Any idea? I though it might be the disk (fragmentation, etc.) but disk was always used for large files and mostly as archive, so not too many things removed or so.

Thanks,

Tóni

#2 2012-01-21 11:32:10

FunFiler

Re: Different speed issue for different files - same disk, size, etc

What is the source location for your files? (i.e. are they all the same)

If they are not all coming from the same source within your internal network I doubt it has anything to do with the NAS.

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#3 2012-01-22 00:48:11

toni

Re: Different speed issue for different files - same disk, size, etc

The source is the NAS. I copy files from the NAS with my notebook (connected with a UTP cable to my ASUS N56U router) using TC having the Volume_1 mounted in windows by IP address.

The same file gives always close speed values, so I can reproduce the issue any time  - I copy Winnie the pooh with 4,6MB/s what ever I do while Cars is coming with 22MB/s whenever and whichever order I make the copy. In case of Cars I can see speed difference setting the jumbo frame (without that it is coming with 12-15MB or so). Both are mkv files, close the same size (~8-10GB), NAS has no other processes running, and so on.

Yesterday I tried to go after fsck as I think it could be a disk issue. It told me that the disk has some errors (must have as it is running ffp and I got a few outages and so on - so I guess this is normal) and must be corrected but I did not dare to run it as I'm afraid loosing all my data (1,5TB) and I can not back up that much (no time and no storage).

Thanks

T.

Board footer