DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-07-07 12:05:46

Glovner

Bright and dim blinking LEDs.

I purchased a new DNS-323 yesterday (moving on from the SC-101)with two Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 Drives.

All began well...

Disk drives in.  Lights flashed then after a minute stayed on.  Search utility found DNS.  All configured.  Drives formatted (Raid 0 and EXT2).  All working on my PC and MAC. 

Then the firmware flash....

I downloaded the latest firmware from D-Link, and applied it to the DNS.  The progress bar went to 99% and then nothing further.  I left the PC for 2hrs, but to no avail.  I refreshed the "web browser".  In the bottom left had corner it said connected and the download bar moved slowly, but nothing after another hour but a blank page...

I looked at the front of the DNS.  The lights were best described as "dim" blue and flashing.  I could not find any advice on that status. 

I left it for a few hours.  No change.  I applied the tried and tested technique known as "on and off again".  It returned to the same "dim light status".

I reviewed D-Link's website.  The only suggestion seemed to be a manual factory reset.  This I did.

The DNS started with the main light blinking brightly (the website suggests this may go on for one hour). However, it did not stop.  The drive lights started to flicker (but not so brightly as the main light) and the network light flashed every 20-30 seconds.  However, they did not stop. 

I tried the Search utility.  No DNS found.  I left it overnight.  Still blinking in the morning. 

I tried a reset again.  3 hours on and its still flashing.

Any ideas from the great and the good?

Thanks in advance

#2 2007-07-08 07:02:49

mykroft

Re: Bright and dim blinking LEDs.

Pull the drives, and bootup and search for and access the config - see if the drive says "hey - i have no drives installed", if it does that then your flash seems to went ok.

Then I would install the drives in a windows machine and wipe the drives clean.

Then install and format one at a time and see how that goes

#3 2007-07-14 12:19:52

Glovner

Re: Bright and dim blinking LEDs.

I had tried option one, and nothing: The device was not being found.

Having phoned D-Link and spoken with a big cheese for 1hr (trying different things) they seemed at a loss to explain the problem.  They didn't know what the "dim lights" meant!  Anyway, they wanted the product back so I have a new one on the way. 

Hopefully the firmware flash will not cause the same problem again.

Board footer