DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2012-08-17 17:02:49

androidinosaurobot

[HELP!!!!] INSTALLED USB KERNAL FOR MORE STORAGE & ALL FILES ARE GONE!

I had the perfect DNS-323 setup.  I just had to keep pushing it.  I decided to try and add my old LaCie 500gb external hard drive via the USB method on the DNS-323 Wiki.  I downloaded and installed the USB kernal, ran dmesg, and it didn't look like what it was supposed to look like.  It recognized the external drive, but when I tried to mount it, it wouldn't work.  I ran fdisk -l to see if it showed up, and it didn't.  Just my main 2 hard drives.  Then while I was in SSH, I started trying to navigate through directories, but I kept getting "BUS ERROR".  I gave the command "reboot", and once the DNS-323 came back online, I had NO SSH access.  Telnet is disabled.  I logged in via FTP, and all I see is "Volume_1".  NO CONTENTS INSIDE.  Lighttpd would show up, but showed NO CONTENT.  I started freaking out.  I did a factory reset via the web admin, and now I can't even get FTP access.  Whenever I try to change or add network access, I get an error when the little window pops up for me to select which directory I want access to.  I was running Firmware 1.10, and after the reset I still had all the same users and firmware version and everything.  Same password as well -- it didn't reset.  It's like it didn't really do a factory reset.  Should I try to find the hardware reset button?  Is there a quick fix for this?  PLEASE TELL ME I DID NOT JUST DELETE 3TB WORTH OF DATA!

#2 2012-08-18 08:12:40

bjby

Re: [HELP!!!!] INSTALLED USB KERNAL FOR MORE STORAGE & ALL FILES ARE GONE!

Seems unlikely you deleted all data. Eject the disk and connect it to a sata-usb dock. Boot into an live-ubuntu cd or live-usb, to read it.

#3 2012-08-18 17:14:58

androidinosaurobot

I figured it unlikely as well, but that's sure what it looked like.  I couldn't do a factory reset from the web, so I did a hardware reset and everything works now.  Except...I don't have network access because when I select a user and click the button to select their share, the little popup window comes up with an error.  (This actually started happening before the previous problem and reset, but it wasn't an issue because I had already setup network access at a time that this feature WAS working.)  Could it have anything to do with me recently setting my DNS servers to Google's public DNS?  Also, my online backup module won't start anymore, even after trashing it and reinstalling.  I will open separate threads for these issues I guess, but just wanted to share my problems.

#4 2012-08-18 21:33:18

androidinosaurobot

I fixed the web backup problem after doing another reset, this time via the web interface.

#5 2012-08-19 00:51:57

androidinosaurobot

...also discovered something silly -- the backup module returns an XML error if you try and select a directory for backup that has "&" in the title.  I understand why this happens, it just seems like something the developers would have anticipated...oh well.  Guess I'll go rename some of my directories.

Board footer