DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-07-12 15:52:44

Cohech

iTunes server vs. adding network folder to iTunes

What are the advantages of using the iTunes server instead of simply adding the appropriate folder on the DNS-323 to iTunes?

I appreciate that using the iTunes server means the library will automatically appear within iTunes and there's no time consuming trawling through the directories (although this only happens once when adding a folder directly to iTunes).

There seems to be more disadvantages from my point of view:
- Unable to sync music contained on iTunes server to iPod
- Unable to rate music

Or maybe I'm missing something?

#2 2007-07-14 20:00:54

chip chanko

Re: iTunes server vs. adding network folder to iTunes

You're not missing anything. Those are the ups and downs.

I use both since we link to the DNS-323 from two computers and my GF doesn't upgrade her library that often...so having the server running means she can play music that's been recently added w/out updating her own itunes library. Of course, if she wants to sync her ipod she'd need to update the library. It's too bad itunes just doesn't run everything via the server/sharing so you wouldn't have to update the library on two computers, but they did away with this when they opened the itunes store and for piracy concerns (people trading tracks around their office).

Board footer