DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2014-07-10 00:37:49

Compiemunky

Hi, just a few questions?

Hi all, just wanted to sort of give a brief -what I want to do- and see if I cant get a little help with some of it.

I have a DNS323 with 2x 500GB HDDs, currently flashed with Alt-F 0.1RC3, and was considering the RC4 update. but as I was going into doing it, I thought I might as well clean up a bit, because I probably have stuff running I don't need. Just need thoughts and help implementing some new bits (new bits marked with *). I have basic working knowledge of Linux, but I generally use telnet/ssh to do things I cant with the GUI, just me being lazy really.

My basic needs are: *4GB USB with main system files, 1TB Storage only, MiniDLNA from storage for my TV, and *lighttpd on USB for a small project I'm attempting.

The questions are below for anyone interested now:

* 1 USB, for new system files and website, how would I go about setting the USB as the default 'save' for anything the system does?

1 partition 1TB, storage only, so they only spin up when files are being read/written (and fsck I guess), currently has Alt-F system folder? makes drives spin up unnecessarily? (I'm not sure as its tucked away in a corner of my house where I often never venture), if I change file structures(system to USB) will it impact the data?, its not defcon1 important, but I would like to keep it, I might find space and make a copy on my external drive whilst I play with things unless someone says its gonna be perfectly fine ^_^;

MiniDLNA, for some reason this sometimes ignores whole folders, and I have to make a new folder and move the files for it to recognise the files again?

* lighttpd, I wanted to run a small website (with php) for my use only, just to test a few things out. Tried it before but it isn't playing ball for me, I haven't delved too much into it though as its not important.

And I guess the final question is, should I do all this before or after the RC4 update?

Last edited by Compiemunky (2014-07-10 00:39:30)

#2 2014-07-11 20:48:00

Compiemunky

Re: Hi, just a few questions?

So I just went ahead and decided to start fresh instead of messing about with keeping settings etc.

Backed up my 2 drives, removed them, plugged in USB, partitioned it with 1GB swap (some people day don't, but I'm gonna give it a go, will make a backup the USB onto the HDDs just in case USB dies from too much writing (like me in high school big_smile)), and flashed to RC4. After basic setup, installed Alt-F to the USB, and installed a few basics like nano.

Plugged the 2 Drives back in, RAID detected them perfectly, went thru an deleted the old Alt-F folder from the drives, and now I have pretty much what I wanted in the basic System/Store point of view. Will keep it on my desk (moved it for faster backup, 4 days was too long to wait XD) and see how the disks come and go for now.

Just loading up miniDLNA now, I'll have to see how it fares with the new setup, if it fixes that 'forgetting folders' thing... somehow... if not I might try one of the other DLNA's available.

Lastly, I guess now its all working as far as I can tell, so I mite give my mini-site a go.

Board footer