DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-08-24 14:58:36

FoxFire

Does the DNS-323 require any drivers installing on the client PC?

Hello,
I'll bet all these questions have been asked (and answered) before. I was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the answers.
Does the DNS-323 require any drivers installing on the client PC, or can any machine with a SMB client gain access?
Have the uptime issues been resolved? I see some early posts refering to 8 days uptime, which seemed very poor for what appears to be a linux box.
Thanks

#2 2007-08-24 15:57:36

Emacs

Re: Does the DNS-323 require any drivers installing on the client PC?

Hi FireFox,

FoxFire wrote:

Does the DNS-323 require any drivers installing on the client PC, or can any machine with a SMB client gain access?

There is no driver needed on the client PC. Any OS with a SMB client can mount shares from the DNS323. I'm accessing my DNS323 from Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux.

FoxFire wrote:

Have the uptime issues been resolved? I see some early posts referring to 8 days uptime, which seemed very poor for what appears to be a linux box.

I never had any uptime issues, but I upgraded to 1.03 firmware immediately after I bought the unit.
My DNS323 is running 24x7 for several weeks now and I haven't encountered any problems like inaccessability.

Cheers,

Emacs

#3 2007-08-25 09:50:17

FoxFire

Thanks Emacs,
I've been looking for a replacement for my current NAS (or is it a SAN?) device that will allow me to access the files regardless of operating system (my current one ties me to windows). So far I like what I've seen about the DNS-323.
I'm pleased about the uptime. I just couldn't believe that Linux solution would require regular reboot. I used to have a FreeBSD box that served files, emails and routed internet traffic and it only got reset following power outages.
Would I be correct in assuming that in case of device failure (not hard disk) one can take the disk out of the computer and read it with a Linux/FreeBSD box? This would sound like a major plus also.
Can the device access other DNS-323s using smb_client?
Cheers

#4 2007-08-25 11:45:57

Focher

I access my DNS-323 from XP, Vista, Ubuntu. and Mac OS X all without any real issues.

The one "drawback" at this point is that the Samba version in firmware 1.03 is version 2. That has created issues for those of us who need Unicode support in filenames. Apparently, version 1.04 which is due shortly is upgraded to Samba version 3 which fully supports Unicode characters in file and folder names. I have worked around this by installing Samba v3 in a Debian environment on the DNS. It sounds like you are less inclined to hack around with the box, so if Unicode support is an issue for you then you would want to wait for the newer firmware. If Unicode doesn't matter, you should be fine.

Samba, by the way, is the implementation of SMB (now called CIFS) that is the native file sharing protocol in Windows. It is supported by pretty much every OS too.

#5 2007-08-25 13:19:56

Emacs

FoxFire wrote:

I've been looking for a replacement for my current NAS (or is it a SAN?) device that will allow me to access the files regardless of operating system (my current one ties me to windows).

Is that the dreadfull Netgear 101? Been there, done that. It's an awfull piece of hardware.

FoxFire wrote:

Would I be correct in assuming that in case of device failure (not hard disk) one can take the disk out of the computer and read it with a Linux/FreeBSD box? This would sound like a major plus also.

The disks in the DNS 323 (you are referring to it, right?) are formatted with EXT2. So there should be no problem reading them in a Linux box.

FoxFire wrote:

Can the device access other DNS-323s using smb_client?

Yes, once fun-plugged and you can telnet into the DNS323 you can mount other devices' shares as well - I guess. Haven't tried it.

Cheers,

Emacs

#6 2007-08-26 11:10:54

FoxFire

Emacs,
I'm impressed that you've correctly managed to identify my current device, given so little information. I've found the Netgear 101 quite reliable, but I just don' t like having to install drivers or a windows only solution.
Focher,
Thanks for the info. It is good to know that it works on XP also since some update for windows stopped me being able to access my old FreeBSD box via SAMBA. As to hacking the box, though not adverse to it I tend to think that if I buy a solution it should "just work". If I wanted to get "down and dirty" I'd probably try again a low power PC with FreeBSD & SAMBA.

#7 2007-08-26 21:06:19

DNS-323 Talker

I'm a Netgear 101 refugee, and have never looked back.  The 101 was reasonably reliable for me, but I could never access it from my laptop, and I would lose connectivity off and on from the three desktops that accessed it.

The other big deal for me is that the DNS-323 is much faster than the Netgear 101...and thanks to this forum, much more configurable.

DNS-323 w/two Seagate 500 GB RAID1
Fonz's Fun_Plug- Don't DNS-323 without it!

#8 2007-08-29 14:23:26

FoxFire

DNS-323 Talker, my experiences with the 101 were exactly as yours are. From what I've read so far I'm looking forward to the time when I can afford to get a DNS-323 - shouldn't be long hopefully.

Board footer