DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2006-12-13 14:37:00

gatherer

Lost files?

Hi,

Recently bought a DNS-323. It's black and beautiful.
Added tvĺ Spinpoint 400GB and formatted striped raid with ext3 filesystem
After formatting I configured the disk to be visable in my windows workgroup.

It appeared nicely and I moved a folder of 173 GB with no problems at all.
Next step was to move another folder (approximately 40 GB but a lot of small directories)
It went smoothly but just before I erased the source folder, I happened to check the contents of the newly copied folder on the DNS-323.
It contained only two directories where there should be hundreds.

I tried to delete the folder to start over, the action returned:  'the directory can not be deleted as it is not empty'
I opened the folder and it is empty....
The 173 GB folder was still there and looked fine. Still couldn't delete the 'empty' folder.

Tried scan disc - hung the web interface.
Restarted the DNS-323

After bootup I cant find the disk on the network workgroup.
Can access the web interface though. Configuration looks OK.

Confused - any ideas?

What's behind the scenes - any limitations on the hw/os that could cause this kind of problems?

#2 2006-12-14 04:55:40

gkaufman

Re: Lost files?

I've had a similar problem - installed 2 x 500gb Seagate 7200.10 drives as mirrored (Raid0) EXT3.

It formatted fine, displayed a "rebooting, please wait" message with a "65" in the bar, then never rebooted.

I restarted the DNS-323 and all seemed fine, ran disk check fine.

I then copied around 80gb of files.  The drive displayed the directory with 2 copies of each subdirectory.  Deleting the first of each pair would make both disappear.

I then tried to delete the directory, and got the same "directory can not be deleted as it is not empty" message.

The directory is empty, but shows the property of read-only.  It won't let me change that.

I went ahead and reformatted the drive again <argh> and have tried re-uploading the files.  We'll see how that goes.  I've also jumpered the SATA drives down  to 1.5gb/s instead of 3gb/s - curious if that will make any difference.

I've encountered a few other "bugs":

When I click on "tools, system" the menu on the left becomes corrupted.  In particular, the Power Management bar overlaps 1/3rd of the disk utilities bar.
   The browse feature under ITUNES SERVER won't correctly attach to a directory.
   After formatting a drive, the system displays a "65" in a bar and says to wait for the system to reboot.  Unfortunately it just hangs there and never reboots.

Neat product, but I'd bet we're in for a few firmware updates shortly....

- Gary

#3 2006-12-14 08:30:21

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Why you guys using striped raid anyway? You cant get any performance boost doing that, since a single 250GB-500GB disk can do about 60MB/s at least, but you are lucky to get about 1/3 out of it using this NAS.

• DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
• NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#4 2006-12-14 13:51:47

gkaufman

I'm using a mirrored RAID, not stripped.

Turns out that many of the interface bugs came from using FireFox.  The DNS-323 interface seems to work better using Internet Explorer.

I'm still having huge problems with the DNS-323, most recently I've tried reformatting and it's hanging at 94%.

I may try switching off the RAID and just using the device as separate drives to see if that makes any difference.

- Gary

Last edited by gkaufman (2006-12-14 13:54:47)

#5 2006-12-17 11:12:18

MiK

Installed 2 x 320GB Seagate 7200.10 drives in standard mode with EXT3 on an EU D-Link DNS-323 with 1.01FW

I've also got the "94%" problem with scandisk, but I'm not sure if it is caused by, or the cause of 'the directory can not be deleted as it is not empty' (I tried to delete all files in a dir after Windows started to do display each file twice in my MP3 directory).

After that I was stupid enough to run scandisk with the fix box checked and hit apply, which cuased the blue HDD lights to turn amber.. Only a complete format made the DNS-323 find the HDDs again. sad

Btw, re not seeing the shares on network, try and go to the network access settings and edit the rule for each HDD and just hit apply without changing anything

Btw2, I'm not sure if this matters, but so far the above problems have always been on the system drive, ie HDD_1

Last edited by MiK (2006-12-17 11:19:30)

#6 2006-12-19 06:32:29

gkaufman

New firmware (1.02) is better, especially with FireFox.

I have figured out how to get the unit to work nicely - first take out the drives and delete ALL partition information on another system.  Second format the drive only using EXT2 (EXT3 is buggy as heck).  Lastly be patient, as they will sometimes hang for a long time at 94%, then complete.

If the format fails for any reason, delete the partition information totally before starting over. 

The 1.02 firmware removes EXT3, removes the scandisk option, and improves FireFox compatibility.  I did not have to reformat drives after the upgrade, but you might if you are using EXT3.

- Gary

#7 2006-12-19 07:29:16

Morris

I have used this unit as Raid1 + Ext2, and it works fine. I think maybe it has a bug with the Ext3 + Raid1 mode. I will try to contact the D-Link's technical support to ask for it, maybe a new updated firmware is ready there.

Morris

#8 2006-12-19 21:32:17

gatherer

Regarding striping and speed: the specs says dns-323 reaches highest performance with striping - hence; I use striped discs
However, salas logic seems impeccable (spelling?) - perhaps I'll change config.

Regarding lost files: Thx for all the info. I just DL:ed the 102 firmware, hopefully all will be warm and cosy with this version.
I lost some media in the process but I'll probably manage... somehow sad

/g

#9 2007-01-15 08:15:06

Apskaft

Hi,

Sorry if this is already covered in other threads, but I cannot read out if this issue is resolved in 1.02 or not. I'm still on firmware 1.01 and my setup is 2x320Gb in Standalone Mode, ext2.

The problem I've noticed, and reported to D-Link, is loss of files. In a folder, /Media/Music/Albums, I've downloaded a bunch of folders, each containing a number of files. At some point, when uploading a new album (folder copy from XP through Explorer, drag-and-drop), the folder and the files does not appear on the unit. The files seems to be copied but they just don't appear.

If I try to copy the folder again, the files are copied - but they don't appear.

But; if I manually create the folder and then copies the files into this folder - everything is just fine. ( I guess not, really - but at least the files are copied)

My question for you is simple. Did you have similar problem in 1.01 and were they resolved in 1.02?

Best Regards,
/Apan

#10 2007-03-01 21:09:41

janiville

Hi!

My files are also lost with 1.02 firmware, RAID1 and ext2. I noticed this when I tried to copy a folder and it said: "file with the name you specified already exists".

Jani

#11 2007-03-02 13:30:28

kimhav
Website

I've been  running with the US version of 1.02 (RAID1 and Ext2) for a while and upgraded last night to the EU version and gave a test to copy (used Total Commander) 81079 files in 42 folders (total of 7.10GB) from a Samba server on the network over to the DNS-323 via WinXP and a quick check of the folders shows that the have the same size down to the byte.

Last edited by kimhav (2007-03-02 22:12:43)

Kim Haverblad
Klagshamn, Sweden
http://kim.haverblad.se

Board footer