DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-09-18 05:49:20

ChrisBarton

Strange behaviour with Robocopy (unchanged files as 'Newer'/'Older')

I've noticed a strange behaviour when using the Windows Robocopy utility (both 9 and XP010) on a Windows XP SP2 machine to backup files from a local NTFS partition to a volume on an unmodded DNS-323 (1.03 firmware was used to format the drives) in a RAID-1 configuration.  When I run Robocopy with the "/e" or "/mir" switch to copy files from the NTFS partition on a local drive to the DNS-323 via SMB/CIFS many files that have not been modified on the source since the last Robocopy operation to the DNS-323 are incorrectly reported as 'Older' or 'Newer' and are subsequently recopied to the DNS-323.  If I recall correctly the files have an identical MD5 checksum on both the local disk and the DNS-323 device, however WinDiff reports that the date is different between the source and the target.  Has anyone else encountered this behaviour?

This behaviour has always worried me and I was hoping that someone has an explanation.

I've never had any other problems with my device until recently (dim blue drive status light after upgrading from Maxtor DiamondMax 10 320 GB to Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB drivers).

I've owned a D-Link DNS-323 for a while now and only recently found this forum --- great resource that I wish I'd located sooner.

Thanks in advance! - Chris

#2 2007-09-18 14:37:01

jbirney

Re: Strange behaviour with Robocopy (unchanged files as 'Newer'/'Older')

Chris,
I have seen this happen before at work with RoboCopy and using our NAS/EMC Network storage. The issue we found was differences in the time stamp resolution that made Robocopy think the files were different. Add the /FFT switch and see if that helps.

#3 2007-09-19 05:20:28

ChrisBarton

That switch seems to work well!  Thanks for the quick response.

#4 2008-08-10 16:15:56

rduval

It's sure not working for me...any other ideas? All I get are directories (and subdirectories) but no files????

I also have a Linksys nas, the llittle cheap one that you plug USB drives into and it works perfectly with the command below but not with the 323

robocopy "\\csm-data1\Apps" "\\Home-dlinknas\Volume_1\backups\csm-server3\csm-data1\Apps" /XA:SHR /MIR /COPYALL /FFT /ZB /R:0 /M

Thanks much in advance

Rick

Last edited by rduval (2008-08-10 16:16:35)

Board footer