DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-02-03 00:51:04

lothalev

Database being built despite media servers disabled

I have a DNS-313 box with 1.01b6 firmware. The unit, with a 500GB 7200 rpm WD disk, has been quite noisy by default.
First thing I did, was enabling Acousting Management for the disk. To do this, simply create a file called fun_plug on the root of the hard disk and make it look like this (or add the last line, if You have this file already):

----
#!/bin/sh
hdparm -M 128 /dev/sda
----

You can put any commands there - they will be executed on each bootup (after the disk is mounted, of course!)

I'm left with another problem. I disabled both UPnP and iTunes servers. Still, sometimes disk was being heavily accessed. Logging in to 313 via telnet and checking out 'ps -ax', revealed that some kind of media database scanner is running (/usr/sbin/SyncMms and various MediaServer processes). Killing SyncMms stopped the disk accesses.

The problem is, SyncMms is started from /etc/rc.sh, which is overwritten at each reboot. Anybody has some kind of elegant solution to disable this scanner? (of course, support from D-Link would be best: disable the scanner if media servers are turned off...)

#2 2008-02-03 08:10:01

jako

Re: Database being built despite media servers disabled

Funny, I can't see that there is a hdparm on the DNS-313 (are you sure there is one?)

#3 2008-02-03 08:12:00

jako

Re: Database being built despite media servers disabled

jako wrote:

Funny, I can't see that there is a hdparm on the DNS-313 (are you sure there is one?)

Duh! Now I can see it, sorry to bother you.

Board footer