DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-03-31 19:32:53

ajm8995

Good way to back up from XP & Vista to DNS-313?

Can anyone recommend a good backup solution for mixed home network of XP and Vista PCs? 

I got a NAS so I could set up my PC and the kids' laptops to back themselves up in background.  However, NT backup from the XP machine seems always to fail (runs to/ near to completion then bombs out with problem writing to destination); Vista backup doesn't really start (user permission issues that I don't know enough to solve).  Memeo (came free with NAS) mostly seems to work but always generates enough errors to make me not trust it, and seems only to work for the user who installed it.

So I'd be REALLY GRATEFUL for some help in getting out of this bind.  Can anyone tell me how to set up users so NT backup and/ or Vista backups work?  Or how to get Memeo to work, and to work independent of who logs on the PC?  Or recommend some other (not too expensive) backup software?  Thanks very much.

#2 2008-04-07 02:25:56

mic_man

Re: Good way to back up from XP & Vista to DNS-313?

I use Microsoft SyncToy 2.0 (beta) to backup my files. It just copy the files straight away and works quite ok for me. The reason your backup doesn't work is probably som firmware problem (1.00). It started to work for me when I used fw 1.01b06, and I'm using fw 1.01b12 now and it works fine. Download the firmware from:

1.01b6:
ftp://dlinkTEMP:dlink@194.117.170.198/DNS-313_1.01b6

1.01b12:
ftp://dlinkTEMP:dlink@194.117.170.198/313

Enter your web interface: maintenance->firmware upgrade: brows to the "system.tgz" file: click apply and the firmware upgrade should be done after a restart. Then you can start to fix your backup!

#3 2008-04-09 23:21:07

ajm8995

Thanks for the URL.  I installed the new firmware but still have the issue, sadly.  I think I may have had that build already - I know that I had real problems with the original out-of-the-box firmware - not even SyncToy would work (like you found).  I did (eventually) locate v1.01 (why don't D-Link put it on their DNS-313 tech support page?) (I forget which build) and things work up to a point - but I do get these Memeo errors and NTBackup errors.  Memeo tech support has taken the case but not solved it yet.  I'm trying TurboBackup from FileStream and that seems to work OK.

Thanks again for the help.

#4 2008-04-10 23:36:22

Guycl

Hi,

Really disappointed with this box ... I have a DNS-323, and since 1.04, works OK for me ... So I thought the DNS-313 was the smaller brother, same firmware ... oh boy, big mistake ...

Out of the box, with 1.00 firmware and Seagate 7200.10 750Gb, I could not even copy a simple directory from an XP SP2 machine.
Received Access Denied errors ...
Xcopy same errors ...
Robocopy, same problem (of course) : intermittent errors and files / dirs not copied ...
Used Filemon, used fun_plug and added logging level 9 in Samba ...

installed 1.01B11, 12 ... no use ... same problem

Then installed Samba 3.0.28a (followed German instructions). Still not OK.

There were (intermittent) permission issues while setting the permissions on a newly created directory ...

smb_err=49152

smb_set_file_dosmode: file_set_dosmode of xxxxxx failed (Operation not permitted)

So started playing with smb.conf ...

Depending on info I found, added (to SMB.CONF)

client ntlmv2 auth = yes
  force unknown acl user = yes
  force user = root
  dos filemode = yes
  domain master = no
  local master = no

... last 2 to have no log messages ...

Well, one did the trick ... cause now I can (robo)copy ... it's probably not the safest setup (?), but it's not a public machine ....

Also removed the --swatdir in the samba startup from germany (points to non-existent dir) ... now I have a blue disk light ...

Only problem left : disk does not power down ... nothing gets added to the samba logs, so they are not keeping the disk awake ...

So if somebody knows other files that are written to ?

Kind regards,
Guy

#5 2008-04-11 16:02:12

nanite2000

It's such a joke, isn't it!? Seriously, how difficult is it to provide a firmware that allows you to transfer files to a hard disk and back without error? Worse still is that original firmware didn't even work with the software they supplied!

Don't know about anyone else, but I still get problems on the latest beta firmware (b12). I use SyncToy to backup my Music, Videos, and Documents directories. Something on the drive must be checking file format types, because my Music directory will fail to backup anything that isn't an audio file. So JPEGs (i.e. album covers) will not backup to the drive! I get file access errors all the time. If I unplug the drive form the network and us USB instead, it works fine.

I can't stream videos off the unit either because it has problems with Vista constants requesting chunks of the video file.

It's been over 6 months. Will this unit ever work do you think?

#6 2008-04-11 19:39:21

finnvid

You learn quite fast....never buy a D-link product that have been in the market shorter than a year.....the first release is never tested and it takes a year to get the correct one

#7 2008-04-12 08:20:49

mike07

Genie Backup Manager Pro 8.0 works very very well with dns-313.
I never hade any problem backing up anything from my computers using that software.

Using fw b12

Last edited by mike07 (2008-04-12 08:28:34)

#8 2008-04-13 05:31:16

mrmiketheman

I started a new thread in DNS-323 regarding the freeware BackupPC. It should run under fonz 0.5 since he's compiled PERL now..to avoid the hassle of chrooting to debian.  I hope to get some time to try it soon to see if it'll run on the DNS.

The downside is that since BackupPC uses RSYNC, since there is no native RSYNC on Windows, it's a bit of a hassle to setup. The FAQ offers some other less secure options, but I really don't want to share out my whole laptop, so I'm going to try RSYNC with SSH.

Board footer