DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2008-07-14 23:17:29

bspvette86

Re: For all who are interested: New D-Link 4-Bay NAS DNS-343

Newegg has them listed for $404.99.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … pk=dns-343

For that, I could have a nice MB, CPU, Case, memory, linux, etc that would blow the 343's socks off.

BSPvette

#27 2008-07-15 01:40:45

fordem

Yes - you could, but, have you considered size, noise, heat and power consumption?

#28 2008-07-15 05:36:39

bspvette86

Sure have Fordem.  None of that means much if the functionality and/or perfomance barely meets requirements or if the manufacturer does not provide an adequate level of functionality and support for the advertised features of its products (ie by removing features instead of fixing them or being slow to fix major flaws).  There are quite a few manufacturers making power savy micro boards with features that would be on par for power consumption while providing more functionality and better performance at the same time.  You would also be free to choose just about any OS that would be best suited to your needs.  OK, so I'm not the average consumer and not stuck with consumer off the shelf products....  I'll get off my soap box now.... 

Regards,
bspvette

#29 2008-07-15 15:42:55

fordem

See now - if the functionality and/or performance barely meets requirements leaves a tremendous grey area - whose requirements are we talking about.

The device(s) are advertised as NAS servers, and whilst I haven't (and may never) used the DNS-343, the DNS-323 certainly meets my requirements in terms of functionality and performance as a NAS server, yes, there are a few features that would have been nice to have such as UPS monitoring & shutdown, and unattended startup.

What was the other comment - if the manufacturer does not provide an adequate level of functionality and support for the advertised features of it's products (ie by removing features instead of fixing them or being slow to fix major flaws) - I guess that would be in reference to the removal of ext3, what can I say - other than I don't miss it.

As I understand it, the advantages of ext3 over ext2 is that it is a journalling file system and more reliable in the event of an improper shutdown - my answer to that would be to put the DNS-323 on a UPS and then make sure to shut it down properly - and yes - I do have mine on a UPS.

A part of my response, both this one and the previous one, stems from a certain degree of "bemusement" at the users here wanting to add functionality perhaps beyond my wildest imagination to the unit - I could not understand why they would not/could not just do as you suggest, and assemble a nice PC and be done with it, rather than struggle with the limited hardware resources and the cross compilation required to make this NAS into a webserver/media server/SQL server/<insert-your-particular-dream-here>

#30 2008-07-15 19:50:15

bspvette86

fordem wrote:

The device(s) are advertised as NAS servers,
What was the other comment - if the manufacturer does not provide an adequate level of functionality and support for the advertised features of it's products (ie by removing features instead of fixing them or being slow to fix major flaws) - I guess that would be in reference to the removal of ext3, what can I say - other than I don't miss it.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=509
http://www.dlink.com/products/resource. … &sec=0

Fordem,
Get Real.  NAS server is just one of the advertised features.  EXT3 was not the only feature to go bye-bye and is not even listed on the product spec page.  Of the features listed on the manufacturer's product page, How many have been dropped from the product or are barely worth using?   In my mind, dropping functionality instead of fixing it is a very bad support strategy.  So is providing barely working functionality so it can be put on the "features" list.  What really gets my goat about this is on D-link's own support forums, D-link employees will even tell you how the 343 has x functionality and the 323 doesn't, yet the 323 used to have it.  http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1952.0  for example...

I have never been one to want this box to do more than advertised and yes, it is advertised as a UPnP media server.  So don't include me into your "bemusement".  I am using it with a D-Link HD media player.  One would certainly expect that products from the same manufacturer would work and play well together.

BV

#31 2008-07-15 20:22:44

EnricoM

Although I am verry happy with my Conceptronic CH3SNAS at the moment, I must say that this is not because of the out of the box delivered feature called UPnP AV media server (DLNA 1.0 and UPnP compliant). The server had problems in serving about 50% of my music to my UPnP AV compatible media player because it didn't like some filenames... It took me a few weeks to understand telnet, funplug, ssh, linux etc. before I could replace the standard player with my own version of firefly/mt-daapd. After that I decided to add a recycle bin and a newsleecher and I am very happy now. I learned something about Linux and I enjoyed it. My point is that there is minimal manufacturer support on improving the UPnP feature. Also the list of other reported bugs gives me the impression of cheap development, test and release strategy. On the other hand the product is cheap, so you can't expect Cisco support...

I like the quality of the hardware, but the software could be better. I expect the hardware quality of the DNS 343 to be in line with the 323. If the software quality and support of DNS 343 is better than the 323, then this product could get massive attention...

Last edited by EnricoM (2008-07-15 20:32:16)

Hardware: Conceptronic CH3SNAS, FW1.03 - 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 750 MB, no RAID  - Imation Whizz 4GB USB Flash Drive
Software:  Fun_plug 0.5 beta, SSH, Samba recycle bin, Firefly, hellanzb, nzbget, cleanboot, chrooted etch, optware, midnight commander, rsnapshot

Board footer