DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-07-28 04:07:21

rjc

DNS-313 and File Attributes

Hi Everybody,

I have just bought a DNS-313 after dumping my Netgear SC101 toaster...

My two questions are:

1) Does the DNS-313 support Windows File Attributes?

For example, I'm syncing my files between computers, and any files marked "Read Only" get copied over and lose the Read Only attribute. And when I try to manually set the Read Only attribute on the DNS-313, it says it can't be done. (Error message: "An error occured applying attributes to the file. Access is denied")

Is this a bug in the DNS-313, or a deficiency in NAS devices? It was possible on the SC101 (SAN device).

I have certain files that I want copied over so users can view them but not modify them, hence the need to set the Read Only bit.

2) Is it true that the DNS-313 formats with NTFS by default? If so, why doesn't it support the attributes of NTFS? (I'm not even meaning permissions, just the simple Read Only will do!?!

I walked away from Netgear because of slow acknowledgement & repair of bugs, but it looks like I've walked into the same mess with D-Link (eg power standby)...

By the way, I'm using firmware v1.01b14 (from the dlink uk site. Australia site doesn't even list it; says no firmware available for DNS-313)

Last edited by rjc (2008-07-28 04:09:40)

#2 2008-07-28 22:43:01

pcp

Re: DNS-313 and File Attributes

rjc wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I have just bought a DNS-313 after dumping my Netgear SC101 toaster...

My two questions are:

1) Does the DNS-313 support Windows File Attributes?

For example, I'm syncing my files between computers, and any files marked "Read Only" get copied over and lose the Read Only attribute. And when I try to manually set the Read Only attribute on the DNS-313, it says it can't be done. (Error message: "An error occured applying attributes to the file. Access is denied")

Is this a bug in the DNS-313, or a deficiency in NAS devices? It was possible on the SC101 (SAN device).

I have certain files that I want copied over so users can view them but not modify them, hence the need to set the Read Only bit.

2) Is it true that the DNS-313 formats with NTFS by default? If so, why doesn't it support the attributes of NTFS? (I'm not even meaning permissions, just the simple Read Only will do!?!

I walked away from Netgear because of slow acknowledgement & repair of bugs, but it looks like I've walked into the same mess with D-Link (eg power standby)...

By the way, I'm using firmware v1.01b14 (from the dlink uk site. Australia site doesn't even list it; says no firmware available for DNS-313)

1)
quote from man smb.conf:

Code:

map acl inherit (S)
             This boolean parameter controls whether smbd(8) will attempt to map the 'inherit' and 'protected' access control entry flags stored in Win‐
             dows  ACLs into an extended attribute called user.SAMBA_PAI. This parameter only takes effect if Samba is being run on a platform that sup‐
             ports extended attributes (Linux and IRIX so far) and allows the Windows 2000 ACL editor to correctly use inheritance with the Samba  POSIX
             ACL mapping code.

So samba *should* handle that, if the kernel and the filesystem has the ACL turned on. But it will need a lot of of tweaking, including the custom kernel and system, because the dns-313 default kernel can't handle acls.

2) yes, the data partition is formatted to NTFS. It's because of a usb-disk mode, because win can't read any partitions other than NTFS/VFAT smile.  In the network mode, the NTFS is accessed by the linux, and i don't know if it can read/write all extended stuff as a win do.

Board footer