DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-06-11 23:20:18

johnkeye

Can't install fun_plug on brand-spanking-new DNS-343

Edit: THIS IS SOLVED: SEE MY REPLY BELOW

Hello,

I've just bought a DNS-343 and two 1 TB Western Digital drives. I was looking forward to a lot of super-geeky fun, but was instead relegated to the not-so-prominent place of failed geeks who can't get BSD installed on their toasters. Or Linux opened on their NAS.

First off, no matter which of the following approaches I've used, the result have variously been the same: the fun_plug and fun_plug.tgz just sit there in the root of Volume_01, mocking me. Looking at me like I'm a sordid failure, destined to shame and a Windows Home Network Server.

In all cases, the two disks have been formatted for a single RAID_1-volume.

In all cases, I've used fun_plug v. 0.5 (source: http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/)

I've variously tried using ext2 and ext3.

I've tried fetching the files using Firefox (on Mac OS X 10.5), and using wget in my bash terminal, directly in the root of Volume_1.

I've tried manually unpacking the tgz-file (which somehow resulted in files that I could create but not remove. Funny.).

Also, I've tried trawling Google for a similar problem, but it seems that the only one on this blasted rock to have this particular problem is me, leading me to consider that there might be an omnipotent creator after all, and that I've somehow vexed him, and this is all he wants me to see after every reboot:

Code:

/Volumes/Volume_1$ ls -lart
total 21214
-rw-r--r--  1 jan   john        1778  3 Sep  2008 fun_plug
-rw-r--r--  1 jan   john    10826672 20 Maj 01:11 fun_plug.tgz

So far, all I've gotten from my attempts is a lot of wear on the disks and my patience, and of course the accusing glances of my girlfriend, who formerly thought I knew how to use a computer. This is going to follow me for the rest of my life if you don't help me. Also, if I don't get this resolved, fluffy kittens will drown. In marshmallows.

Thank you in advance for your time and help. Also, thank you in advance if I have done something completely wrong and you laugh at me, as long as you tell me how to correct it.

Last edited by johnkeye (2009-06-11 23:28:30)

Best known for not understanding why D-Link chose the name "DNS" for a non-nameserver-product. Seriously, WTF?

#2 2009-06-11 23:27:51

johnkeye

Re: Can't install fun_plug on brand-spanking-new DNS-343

Well, spending five minutes in the forum or even opening my eyes to my own damned std_out would have helped.

Solution:

Code:

/Volumes/Volume_1$ chmod +x fun_plug

Best known for not understanding why D-Link chose the name "DNS" for a non-nameserver-product. Seriously, WTF?

Board footer