DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-06-28 08:35:06

robinson

[SOLVED] How to run ffp from your USB drive.

Being able to get ffp running is very handy and useful for several reasons, the big one being:
- your hard drives will spin down now (because all i/o is now going to the USB drive...)

The boot script I wrote is essentially a tweak/hack of another boot script from the 323 forum. The main difference is that mine does one thing *really* well. It will also install ffp on the USB drive.

Two caveats:
  - You must already have ffp installed.
  - You must only have 1 USB drive installed. It could be made to work with more than one USB drive, but that isn't quite as automatic as I like - and involves more work.

One assumption:
  - you have 4 hdd's in the DNS-343. (sde1)
  - you can change this in the script to:     
      sdb1 if 1 HDD
      sdc1 if 2 HDD
      sdd1 if 3 HDD

note: Everything can be changed in the .bootstrap/setup.sh file.

1) Get ffp installed on your HDD (like you normally would).

2) extract the bootstrap.zip file to the root of your primary drive (the one that ffp is installed on).
  - verify that the .bootstrap directory is right next to the ffp directory.
  - verify that the .bootstrap/setup.sh file exists.

3) Make sure that your USB drive works. (see here if you haven't done this yet).
  - create the file   .usb-ffp   in root directory of the USB drive you are using.
  - the presence of .usb-ffp determines if ffp will run off the USB drive or not.

4) Reboot!

note: The way this script works, is that it will COPY your current installation of ffp over to the USB drive before ffp fully starts up. Once you have verified that ffp is running off the USB drive (check the ffp log file, which is now in .bootstrap/) you can remove the ffp directory from your harddrive.

I am running 1.03b70 if that makes a difference. (it shouldn't)
-nate

Last edited by robinson (2009-06-28 09:31:04)

Attachments:
Attachment Icon bootstrap.zip, Size: 2,714 bytes, Downloads: 465

Board footer