DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-01-03 12:27:22

hitchhiker

Volume_1 Missing after adding new disk and rebooting!

My RAID 5 array was degraded, I removed the damaged disk, and reinserted a new one. Nothing happened so I rebooted the device.

When the thing began again, the system asked me if i wanted to format the new disk. I said 'yes'

Now I've lost 4.5TB of IMPORTANT DATA. The Volume is missing, and it's asking me to reconfigure the array.. pointing out now that i'd need to format them all?

Can I recover my volume in any way? Can I disconnect the disks and recover them in some other way?

I have 3 drives (the remaining part of the original RAID 5 array) - plus the new one - all are working fine SMART wise. I don't have funplug now as the volume is missing and i'm terrified to do anything from here.

Could I remove the first 3 drives and make a single volume, then install funplug, telnet back into the box and manually reattach / resync the 3 drives with mdadm? Or were they 'formatted' during that mini init/format phase the damn thing did?

#2 2010-01-03 13:18:42

hitchhiker

Re: Volume_1 Missing after adding new disk and rebooting!

Managing to recover right now in R-STUDIO 4, with 64K Block / left sym smile *phew*

I think this about does it for my DNS 343 testing. Wasted way too much time trying to get it to work normally.

#3 2010-01-03 23:48:26

twg

i've had nothing but issues with the 343 as well... for all of our sake, how are you recovering the data with R-STUDIO 4 ? Did you remove the drives and hook them to your PC ? Details please!

#4 2010-01-04 01:05:23

hitchhiker

I'm still mid-way, as I'm having to juggle spare disks to swallow up the 4.5TB of data i need to recover...

I'm reconstructing the volume via the R-STUDIO network edition 5.1
"EX-DNS-343" SETUP: 4 x 1.5TB CAV GREEN in RAID 5

I removed all the drives from the DNS 343 in order, and marked them. Then attached them to my intel MBs raid controller, regular on-board raid controller, in the same order (ie SATA 2 = DISK 1, SATA 3 = DISK 2, 4= 3, 5 = 4).. This was so i could see the order in R-Studio, or at least so that i could try for a match.

First attempt:

Create Virtual Raid Block, add the 4 disks - in various disk orders (1,3,4,2 etc) with 64K Block size, Left Sync Standard (Block order) - that didn't seem to work very well, as the system was having a hard time detecting the volume -- truth be told i was too impatient to really let it finish the entire 4.5TB scan -- so perhaps others will have more success. Though I think it should have found it within the first few GIG.

Second attempt (successful):

Create Virtual Raid Block, add the 4 x 1.5TB "Volumes/Partitions". Essentially rather than adding the whole disk, I merely selected the largest volume on each disk..

On the left of R-Studio, the disks had 3 partitions each listed. I'm assuming 2 of them were some sort of control/reference partitions. My data ones were clearly the largest, so i just chose those. Voila - 'Direct Partition' appeared, after enumeration 99% of my stuff was there. Simple click and recover.

Hope this helps mate.. I've had it with this stuff, I have so little time to pi$$ around with this thing. Off to check out the TS-419p http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=127 - wont hold my breath after this experience though.

Frank.

PS - what's really helped, but I WOULDNT RECOMMEND IT, is that i've actually used one of the spare drives (the one that caused the problem in the first place) to temporarily hold the data as i'm moving it. RAID 5 x 4 disks only needs 3 for data, so there's one spare. There was nothing wrong with the drive, it was just that the DNS 343 wouldn't pick it up for a recover after one of my tests (I was removing a drive each day, to see which one MIGHT be causing the slowdowns i was having.)

Last edited by hitchhiker (2010-01-04 01:09:20)

Board footer