DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-11-21 17:13:13

Queequeg

DNS-343 As DAS?

Although it may seem counterproductive, I'm interested in turning my three DNS-343 units and my one DNS-323 unit into Direct-Attached Storage (DAS) devices. I'm wondering if this is possible.

The units work OK as NAS devices and I'm able to access them - with some patience. I am converted to MAC OS X and I continue to see access speed issues. This is mainly with initial connection and browsing in Finder - it can take well over a minute to actually see the contents of a directory with a modest number of files, say, close to a 1000. Unfortunately, this never gets any better, at least not session-to-session. This is not related to drives spinning up after going to sleep for energy-saving purposes.

To gain improvement for my mass storage performance, I will probably implement Snow Leopard Server on a Mac Mini and then connect DAS devices to that. Ideally, I would re-use the DNS devices for this purpose rather than buying something like Promise SmartStor DS4600s to replace the DNS units. Just don't know if it can be done - I'm thinking not, since I don't believe the USB port would support connecting to a server.

TIA for any thoughts or advice.

Thanks,
Gary

#2 2010-01-23 22:42:13

johnkeye

Re: DNS-343 As DAS?

I am also using my DNS-343 as a NAS to my Macs; the workaround is ridiculous. Two things;
1. I've set my Finder Preferences to show Connected Servers on the Desktop
http://imgur.com/KQWMf.png
2. I have a shortcut to a folder on the NAS in my Finder sidebar (but it could basically be anywhere).

To me it seems that this behaviour is due to Finder fetching a list of available "disks" on the share rather than access the disk directly. You could in point 2. use the root "Volume_1" folder.

HTH, even after this long smile

Best known for not understanding why D-Link chose the name "DNS" for a non-nameserver-product. Seriously, WTF?

Board footer