DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-07-23 10:53:22

marcelr

Simultaneous USB and network access?

Dear All,
I just bought myself a dns-313 with 1TB WD caviar green disk. One reason for this choice was the possibility that it can be used as a normal USB disk as well. I wonder if it is possible to use the dns-313 as a NAS and usb disk simultaneously? Remove the plastic slider at the rear and plug in both network and usb. Has anyone tried this? successfully?

TIA,

marcelr

#2 2009-07-23 14:46:05

pcp

Re: Simultaneous USB and network access?

It's possible to export file with a filesystem (or a *umounted* disk partition) over the USB-gadget function in the kernel. Dunno if the standard kernel has this module enabled - but i have tried it with a custom kernel and it did work.
However, you can't access these two services simultaneously, and you'll need to plug the usb cable after the linux boots up.

#3 2009-07-23 15:09:50

Electrocut

marcelr wrote:

I wonder if it is possible to use the dns-313 as a NAS and usb disk simultaneously?

This is not possible, as far as I know. I have already tried to remove the plastic cap, and you can only use either USB (if the USB cable is plugged before the device boots up), or the Ethernet connection (if the DNS-313 starts normally, with USB cable unplugged). This is because USB provides direct (low level) access to the hard disc: in this case, linux system doesn't not even starts. So the network services are not working ...

pcp wrote:

It's possible to export file with a filesystem (or a *umounted* disk partition) over the USB-gadget function in the kernel. Dunno if the standard kernel has this module enabled - but i have tried it with a custom kernel and it did work.

So, you are talking about connecting the USB port to a computer, and the computer will see a usb device, which can be (for example), a ramdisk, on the DNS-313, right ? I've already tried (built kernel modules myself), but still not successfully

Seems like you have already tried playing with USB ...
Do you think there is any hope to use the USB port, as "USB host" ? (To connect a USB printer, or a USB stick ...), with, maybe, a small hardware modification, for the USB port to supply 5V DC do the printer / USB stick ?

I've already tried, with a USB external powered Hub, connected with this adapter ... nothing appears in syslog, when the USB hub is connected ...

Last edited by Electrocut (2009-07-23 15:16:59)

DNS-313

#4 2009-11-21 20:56:41

scaryman182

pcp wrote:

However, you can't access these two services simultaneously, and you'll need to plug the usb cable after the linux boots up.

Do you think that i can plug a WDTV1 as a USB-gadget and how? I've got a "webian" on my dns-313 and i don't want to change cable all the time.
Sorry for my poor english , i'm french

#5 2010-01-27 11:54:21

marty
Website

Electrocut wrote:

I've already tried, with a USB external powered Hub, connected with this adapter ... nothing appears in syslog, when the USB hub is connected ...

Was your hub self-powered? If not, this may be the reason.
I am also very interested of using the USB port on DNS-313. I am also ready for any HW modz smile

#6 2010-01-27 23:39:30

Electrocut

What do you mean by "self-powered" ?

I connected an external 5V power supply to my hub. Without the external power supply, the hub red light was not even "on" (the DNS-313 USB port does not provide power at all)

Last edited by Electrocut (2010-01-27 23:44:26)

DNS-313

Board footer