DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-09-08 04:38:53

GGET

Noob advice for alternative HDD format

Hi all,

I'm am absolute beginner in relation to hacking the DNS-313 so apologies in advance for any mistakes or obvious questions.

I'm considering installing fun_plug onto my unit so that I can use a unix formatted HDD (or partition - not sure which is necessary). I'd like to do this because I use a backup program on my Mac (running OS X 10.4) called Chronosync and it's incredibly slow backing up across my home wired network. It takes roughly 20 minutes to do a gig, haven't tried to identify if this is the program, network or NAS but having used other devices on the network I don't believe it's the network.

I also don't like that the backup is going onto an NTFS drive because of incompatibilities with file structure etc.
I also have another pc running Ubuntu connected wireless-ly to the network that I'd like to be able to access files on the 313.

So, I'm wondering if modding the 313 with fun_plug will allow me to use a unix drive and if that will possibly improve the speed with which I can backup by running another backup program. And if so, what programs should I be looking at?

I keep my Mac wireless most of the time except when I need to perform a backup, because it's so damn slow. But I'd prefer to keep it wireless even when performing a backup, or is this expecting too much?

I got hustled into buying this drive and have regretted it ever since so I'm really hoping I can up it's functionality to something I'm happy with.

Thanks in advance for any help people can offer me with this, it's much appreciated.

#2 2010-09-14 01:57:55

Electrocut

Re: Noob advice for alternative HDD format

I think the NTFS partition is required. But the trip is to "switch" the existent ext2 and the NTFS partition, in order to use the ext2 partition for storage, and to adapt partition size, according to your needs.

Have a look to the topic Howto change main partition to ext2 where everything is explained smile

DNS-313

Board footer