DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-09-15 14:33:13

Gokusupa

DNS- 343 and Mac Snow Leopard with Time Machine

Hello everybody,

Just purchased a shiny new mac pro here and added a Dlink DNS 343 to my setup.

I was successful in uploading the latest firmware 1.03 to solve some issues. Now I have my "volume_1" created and I am able to create folders and move files to the volume.

My problem is, I cannot seem to get my DNS-343 to work with Time machine. I really want it to host my backup info on this device.

I have a few questions.

1. Can anybody give me a guide to using the DNS-343 as a time machine backup drive when using Snow Leopard?

2. I also have an extra 1TB drive I am going to put into the Mac pro to be used as a drive for my time machine backup. IF so, will the information on the DNS-343 be backed up as well on that drive.

I am new to mac and the Time machine application, any assistance would be greatly appreciated

#2 2010-09-15 17:29:53

thebeck

Re: DNS- 343 and Mac Snow Leopard with Time Machine

Hi there, your only hope is to install the following:

1) fonz fun plug (ffp) 0.5
2) Avahi 0.6.24 from ffp
3) Netatalk 2.1.3 from ffp

Note:  Netatalk 2.1.3 has a dependency on db48 from ffp.

Once you have the above up and running, you'll be able to select your DNS-343 as a backup disk for Time Machine.  There are a lot of different posts in this forum and on the wiki on how to set this stuff up.  You'll want to get ffp running first.  Then you can read the wiki on the others and run some specifically targeted searches to pick up lessons learned (believe me, there are some lessons learned that you'll want to follow that have already been captured in this forum, and other blogs, too).  For example, search for "netatalk" and "avahi" in the forums.

I have two DNS-343s and one DNS-323 running the above plus an rsync scheme (with version 3.0.7 from ffp) to keep multiple backups of my data.  Works like a charm for both my multi-PC and multi-Mac environment.

In regards to Time Machine...  You can only select one backup disk at a time.  If you want multiple copies of your backup, then you'll need to (a) manually change the target backup disk and re-run Time Machine, or (b) set up a cron job to rsync your 1TB backup disk to your DNS on a scheduled basis.

Good luck.

Last edited by thebeck (2010-09-16 09:09:35)

Board footer