DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-02-02 18:32:37

hochers

How to mount new HDD

Hi everybody,

I have my next problem!! I have a Acer easystore with ffp installed. Everything is running but while testing lighttp I somehow destroyed the webinterface, but thats no problem. Today I bought a new HDD and dont know how to mount it. I have now in my /mnt folder a new entry with HD_b4 but I dont see anything in windows. What do I have to do to get Samba/NFS access. I am not really good with linux I just now the basics.

Do I have to format both disks. right now I have one disk and I want to add the other one just by using JBOD.

Thanks

Last edited by hochers (2010-02-02 18:39:11)

#2 2010-03-25 08:42:25

timezlicer
Website

Re: How to mount new HDD

you can try the following,
shutdown
remove the old disk (top slot),
install *only* the new disk (top slot)
format it via the web gui
shutdown
remove the new disk (formatted)
install the old disk
install the new disk in the next empty slot
telnet / ssh into the box and run the following

Code:

hd_verify -w

reboot
you will now have 2 standard volumes,

if you don't run "hd_verify -w",
you will just have to skip the annoying warning message when you use the web gui,
everything else is otherwise just fine

i feel standard volume is the best choice,
because you can install new disk in any order / any size
and if any disk is down, only that disk is affected
the down side is, you will have to plan your own backup and make sure you data is well distributed across the disks

#3 2010-07-22 03:03:01

knightfreeze

Tried the 'hd_verify -w', all it did was to remove the formatting dialog box. Volume_2 (2x800G on RAID1 with data) still not visible. What else can I do to make Volume_2 visible again without formatting and losing all my data? Thanks.

Background:
Using desktop with OS X 10.6.4, DNS-343 on 1.04
Initially, it was
Volume_1 - Seagate 1TB (Standard)
Volume_2 - 2 x WD 800GB (RAID1) (with critical data)
(no ffp installed)
Was working fine until the Seagate 1TB died.
Replaced Volume_1 with WD 1.5TB.
Wanted to eliminate the possibility of formatting the wrong HDDs, I removed the 2xWD 800GB  from the DNS-343 and formatted the WD 1.5TB HDD (from hindsight, bad move). When inserted the 2x800GB HDD, Web interface detected as new HDD and prompted to format them.
Tried the following:
Skipped the dialog box (still can't see Volume_2)
Reset the DNS343 to factory settings (Web interface still prompts to format HDDs and still can't see Volume_2)
Installed ffp on new Volume_1 and ran hd_verify -w (Web interface stopped prompting BUT still can't see Volume_2)

Found this in another forum but I don't understand the steps, appreciate if someone could elaborate.

you would need an extra hdd (HD_a2) to install and boot fun plug with so you can telnet into the dns343 to make the changes

edit this into /ffp/etc/fun_plug.init
mkdir /mnt/HD_b2
mkdir /mnt/HD_c2
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/HD_b2
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/HD_c2
echo '/mnt/HD_b2 10.0.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash)' >>/etc/exports
echo '/mnt/HD_c2 10.0.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash)' >>/etc/exports
./ffp/start/unfsd restart

reboot and you would be able to use the data on the two hdd from dns343 using the nfs protocol.

Am I able to see my data in Volume_2 from shell and just copy out the directory using cp command (like in the DOS days)

Please advise what else to do. Thank you.

#4 2010-07-25 17:12:08

knightfreeze

I can see my Volume_2 again! Phew!

Made a copy of dsk_mapping and raidtab2web, added sdb & sdc to the 2nd and 3rd line respectively to dsk_mapping in dir /mnt/HD_a4, b4 & c4. Added sdb2 & sdc2 to 3rd line of raidtab2web to the same directories.

Learnt a valuable lesson from this ordeal and also through reading several forums. RAID is NOT for backup! RAID is for availability.

#5 2010-10-26 15:46:21

tigerszheng

hi,there:

I have similar problem. I installed one 2t hdd as top driver and install fun plug on it, which have 3 partition,1,2,4, which is formatted via acer web management. but I change the HD_a2 to ext3 because I think ext3 will be better at journal compare with ext2.

The problem comes, when I add the second 2t hdd,( I doesn't format it via acer web ui, i formatted it in my own desktop with ext3 fs on it and only one partition since I use this disk as movie storage.). when I login in acer web ui, acer ask me to format it, of course I doesn't do it since I have a lot of movie on it, and acer web ui tell me the hdd with "x".

telnet into the system, found it's sdb1 and can be mount manual by command mount. but I tried some method to automatically load the sdb1 when system startup, but all failed.

1. I add mount command at /etc/mtab, it's failed. when system reboot, I found the mtab have already tick the mount command and restore to original. (does we can't modify the content in flash?)

2. I add mount command at ./ffp/etc/fun_plug.init(refer from #3, it's failed.

add: I doesn't use raid function.

Can someone tell me what's the next step to do?

All the best!

Board footer