DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-05-24 16:35:03

exfall

Hi new user needs help with small problem.

I bought the DNS-320 earlier this year, and it does exactly what I want it to do very well (except file transfers seem quite slow at times - allthough that may be the way I have set my network up. I,m a pensioner with very little understanding and grasps of networks, but as I said it works for me very well).

I use my 320 (with 2x2TB drives) to stream  my stored video collection around the house. One drive is full of my dvd,s and music, whilst the other is full of my TV boxsets.
I do not use any raid configuration, just basic 2 drive storage.

When I initially installed the drives into the 320 I could not find a way of actually renaming the drives (as you can in windows e.g.), so now when either of the drives is accessed
via the media streamers around the house the drives are identified in the presumably default naming of VOLUME_1 and VOLUME_2.

What I would like to be able to do is rename the 2 drives to Films and TV which would look much better when accessed by the media streamers, and easier to use especially if friends come to stay.
I do not know if there is a way of doing this, and I would really be grateful if is possible for someone to give an old man instructions on how this might be achieved.

Thank you for reading and for any help I may recieve.

#2 2011-05-24 16:49:59

philleb

Re: Hi new user needs help with small problem.

You "cant" Rename then. You could install ffp and rename them than. Greets.

..:: D'Link323:Seagate:Barracuda:1TB+0.008TB:FW1.08:fun_plug0.5:transmission:avahi:sshd:netatalk:openvpn ::..

#3 2011-05-24 21:30:50

exfall

Thankyou for the quick reply

What's ffp?

#4 2011-05-24 21:53:53

philleb

..:: D'Link323:Seagate:Barracuda:1TB+0.008TB:FW1.08:fun_plug0.5:transmission:avahi:sshd:netatalk:openvpn ::..

#5 2011-05-25 01:44:55

Dlink

Simplest method is the following.

Create a folder on each drive. One folder named "Movies" or "DVDs" on the movie drive, and on the other drive a folder named "Music" or whatever you want to call it and move your files into each folder. Go to network shares screen and remove the shares listed (volume_1 and volume_2). Add a new share for each drive but instead of Selecting Volume_1 or Volume_2, select the Folder inside of the Volumes, ie "Movies" or "Music". Then create the new share with the permissions you need (all or per account). Now when accessing the nas shares you should only see "Movies" and "Music" and when accessing it from your media players it should show up as \\NAS-NAME\Movies or \\NAS-NAME\Music

Last edited by Dlink (2011-05-25 01:45:15)

Board footer