DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-06-22 09:56:10

myjess

A NAS is supposed to be remote Network Attached Storage by design?

A NAS is supposed to be remote Network Attached Storage by design? So why do I have to switch it back on every time there is a power cut!

To get around this, I programmed a 12F629 PIC to automatically pull the 3.3V power switch pin low after 10 seconds, for one second, and then put it back high again. This has given me an automatic power on, so I don;t have to crawl into my attic after every power cut!

#2 2011-06-22 11:07:18

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Re: A NAS is supposed to be remote Network Attached Storage by design?

If you have that much power cuts, I suggest you to use an UPS. As all servers, the system doesn't really like it to be stopped that way. It can damage your filesystem(s).

#3 2011-07-18 06:07:51

cheen

Re: A NAS is supposed to be remote Network Attached Storage by design?

Uninterrupted power supplies will do the trick here. Power cuts can be harmful to your storage especially if some native and sensitive files are being used, it can ultimately damage your file system and possibly corrupt it. 

Your solution is good and probably works for you but that still subjects your NAS to damaging forces. Get a UPS to do this for you. At least you do not have to crawl to your attic and not risk it to get corrupted.

Board footer