DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2011-02-10 09:09:58

colinkhalid

Local back up URL problem

I am having problems getting the Local backup (LAN) option to work.

The local back up option is in the applications section of the built in web interface and it has a tick box to allow backups to a client on the local area network. The problem is that whatever URL I enter in the URL box I get the error "The URL format  is not correct, please try again"

I would have thought that the following would work :

//my_pc/shared_folder/   but it doesn't

The manual indicates that the URL should be ftp://192.168.1.1 /shared_folder   (for example),  but I get the same error. (however no FTP server running on the targeted client)

Does this mean that the internal backup can only connect to FTP servers ?

Has anyone been able to get Local Backups to LAN to work and what  URL did you use ?

FYI  I am running Linux Mint 10

Thanks in advance

#2 2011-02-10 20:17:57

Dlink

Re: Local back up URL problem

The address should be formatted like this, \\IP_ADDRESS_OF_PC\SHARE_NAME

For example if I was going to copy from a secondary DNS-320 to my main one, I would use something like \\192.168.1.77\Volume_1.

#3 2011-02-11 05:43:52

colinkhalid

Thanks for the reply

That has helped I now get the message :

URL :\\192.168.1.100\public\
Test result : Successful
File size : Unavailable

The good news is that the backup was done on time and files were copied from the source to destination directory

I have noted that  using  the name of the PC rather than the i.p number  also works avoiding the need to fix the i.p

Thanks again for the help

Last edited by colinkhalid (2011-02-11 05:49:39)

#4 2011-05-01 15:09:46

zaphod500

I'm having the same problem as colinkhalid when attempting a local backup over LAN in that no matter how I frame the URL to my local PC I get a "fail" response when I press TEST. I followed the suggestion of "Dlink member" and used the following URL \\:IP_ADDRESS_OF_PC\SHARE_NAME - even tried using the name of the PC instead of the number but with no success. I can't help thinking I'm missing something very obvious here. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

BTW I'm running a simple Microsoft network of 3 PCs - all on the same workgroup - all can "see" and access each other and the DNS-320. File transfers to the DNS and retrievals - no problem.

Please help.

#5 2011-05-02 02:04:29

colinkhalid

I have copied and pasted  a working URL from my DNS 320

\\colin-desktop\photo-temp

note that the share photo-temp is not password protected

#6 2011-05-02 03:40:36

zaphod500

Thank you for your response Colin your interest is most appreciated. I'm a real novice at this network business.

No luck so far.

Currently I'm running just the DNS-320 and one PC for this test. IP addresses of devices are - router 192.168.1.1,-  PC 192.168.1.2 and DNS-320 - 192.168.1.5. I've setup a shared folder on the desktop of this PC called "Public" (and the DNS-320 has been mounted on the PC). This public folder has 2 files inside the folder one called "Backup options". My PC is named "Arthurdent" and my user name is "rob".

My first attempt at testing, following your suggestion, used the URL \\rob-desktop\public-Backup options

yielded the "fail" result using either option of "Folder" or "File"

Second attempted URL was \\192.168.1.2\rob-desktop\public-Backup options - also yielded a "fail".

Thinking then there may have been a problem logging on as "anonymous" I clicked the "account" button and logged on as Administrator but even that didn't help.

I'm still thinking I've missed something more fundamental in the setup of the DNS-320 but can't see what it could possibly be. The DNS-320 has had firmware upgraded to version 2 but there seems to have been no loss of functionality.

Should I install the software that came with the DNS-320 on all network PCs? That wouldn't make sense to me given that this software is simply intended to setup the DNS-320 on the network.

#7 2011-05-02 04:41:08

colinkhalid

From what I can see you have the URL correct. This would suggest to me that the shared folder on the PC is not accessible, for some reason the DNS 320 is being denied access.

Have you tried turning off the firewall on the PC ?

Have you confirmed that the share is not user / password protected

Just check your routers firewall , just in case

The software you mention is not relevant, I never used it as I use mostly Linux. However I have an operational local back working with a windows PC.

#8 2011-05-02 13:33:00

zaphod500

Thanks again for your patience - I'm still not making progress with this LAN backup problem.

Staying with the, previously mentioned, URL of \\192.168.1.2\rob\desktop\public\ I tried turning off Windows firewall - no difference there. Still getting the "fail" response when pressing "test" on the DNS-320 local backup setting.

The share (public folder), on the PC I'm attempting to access with the NAS device, is not user / password protected but  is set up to be shared.

I guess you're correct in assuming the DNS-320 is being denied access to the rest of the network even though all PCs can mount it and access its files without any problem. There doesn't seem to be any way I can verify the DNS-320 has access to the network. I've read that its software is Linux based so perhaps that could explain the one-way connection I seem to have at present.

Not sure what to check with routers firewall. I tried "port forwarding" port 21 for the NAS device but this seemed to have no real effect on the problem.

I've gone over my network, set fixed IP addresses for all devices, instead of allowing DHCP, and confined network IP numbers between 2 & 52. That's not helped either.

Not sure where to look now but feeling rather frustrated with this NAS device. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

#9 2011-05-02 18:53:34

ivan1

zaphod500, looking at your URL I have a question.  Is 192.168.1.2 the numeric equivalent of rob-desktop? If so you only need one or the other NOT both.

#10 2011-05-03 10:46:56

zaphod500

ivan1 - thanks for your comments.

No - 192.168.1.2 is the IP address assigned to this particular PC by the router.

"rob-desktop" refers to the account "rob" (as opposed to "Administrator") on that PC and "desktop" refers to all folders there on.

I believe I need to specify, within the URL, the IP address of the PC - in my case the account name within that PC - and the location of the share I need the DNS-320 to access.

My problems persist in that I can readily access the DNS-320 from all 3 PCs on my Windows network but can't get the DNS-320 to access any file or folder on the PCs.

I hope someone can help because this is the reason I purchased the DNS-320 in the first place. I want to fully backup the C drives on each PC then run incremental backups thereafter.

#11 2011-05-03 11:53:16

colinkhalid

Picking up on what ivan1 said, \\192.168.1.2\rob\desktop\public\ would not work because the i.p number i.e 192.168.1.2 is the same as the computer name on the network also the above URL would indicate that the public folder is on you desktop , is that the case ?

I would guess that other computers on a windows network would see your computer as "rob" this is in fact a more human readable version on 192.168.1.2 !

so if a share was on the root of  c: drive called public then the URL should be \\rob\public   or  \\192.168.1.2\public

Using a windows account name in a network URL would not work because its is not a network path

Hope this helps, if we keep at it Iam sure we can solve this issue

Last edited by colinkhalid (2011-05-03 11:54:27)

#12 2011-05-03 15:52:16

zaphod500

Thanks again for your continued interest.

This is a very persistent problem with no solution in hand just yet however, I'm a stubborn individual and refuse to let this get the better of me.

The 3 computers on my little net are named after Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy characters ie:- Arthurdent with IP 192.168.1.2  - Trillian with IP 192.168.1.3 and - Marvin with IP 192.168.1.4  Both Arthurdent and Trillian have an account named "rob" and both accounts have administrative privilege. Marvin has an admin account named "rod". The DNS-320 has finished up with an IP of 192.168.1.5. Even though DHCP is selected these same IP numbers seem to keep being allocated daily.

All computers on the net see each other as per the naming sequence above. All have access to each other and the DNS-320.

Shared folders have been set up on the desktops of Arthurdent and Trillian for this test. I haven't bothered with Marvin for simplicity. So just keeping the network down to the DNS-320 and 2 PCs for the time being.

URL \\192.168.1.2\public    -still produces a "fail" on pressing the "Test" button in "local backups" on the DNS-320.

Your comment above - "if we keep at it I am sure we can solve this issue" - is appreciated. Thank you.

#13 2011-05-03 16:23:55

colinkhalid

Your welcome

Ok,  is the folder "public" in the ROOT of drive C ?

If not as an experiment create a folder called public in the ROOT of drive C

Creating a shared folder on your desktop makes the URL situation much more complicated.

for example on XP the path would be windows/username/desktop

win 7 something like  /documents and settings/users/desktop

The point I am trying to make is that by using the desktop as a location for a shared folder you are complicating the URL and exposing your system to security risks. On top of that many windows experts would say that the worst place for a large number of files is the desktop as it will impact performance.

#14 2011-05-03 18:35:12

Dlink

zaphod500 wrote:

Thanks again for your continued interest.

This is a very persistent problem with no solution in hand just yet however, I'm a stubborn individual and refuse to let this get the better of me.

The 3 computers on my little net are named after Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy characters ie:- Arthurdent with IP 192.168.1.2  - Trillian with IP 192.168.1.3 and - Marvin with IP 192.168.1.4  Both Arthurdent and Trillian have an account named "rob" and both accounts have administrative privilege. Marvin has an admin account named "rod". The DNS-320 has finished up with an IP of 192.168.1.5. Even though DHCP is selected these same IP numbers seem to keep being allocated daily.

All computers on the net see each other as per the naming sequence above. All have access to each other and the DNS-320.

Shared folders have been set up on the desktops of Arthurdent and Trillian for this test. I haven't bothered with Marvin for simplicity. So just keeping the network down to the DNS-320 and 2 PCs for the time being.

URL \\192.168.1.2\public    -still produces a "fail" on pressing the "Test" button in "local backups" on the DNS-320.

Your comment above - "if we keep at it I am sure we can solve this issue" - is appreciated. Thank you.

What OS are is your share on? On Win7 I also attempted to share a folder on the desktop and originally came up with an issue of a 'fail' message when trying to use the test function. I also had another shared folder test on my main C: drive that was successful so I compared the two and noticed that when sharing on a desktop it did not add the windows "Administrators" group to the advanced permissions on the folder. When this was not present the device was giving a failed message on tests however after going into the sharing permissions (Right Click folder, Properties , Sharing, Advanced Sharing, Permissions.) My tests are on a public share for "everyone" to make sure it is open so it listed Everyone and Administrators as the account.

Not sure if that is where you are stuck as well but I did just successfully share a folder on the desktop with a success message from the NAS under Local backup option.

#15 2011-05-04 14:47:28

zaphod500

Dlink member asked "What OS are/is your share on?"  -  All PCs on my little network are running WinXP Professional SP 3.

I've created shared folders, with slightly different names, on the desktops of 2 PCs - I've left the third PC out for simplicity.

From your comments above I checked each of the shared folders permissions, even created "new shares" and made sure that permissions for each share not only included "everyone" but "administrators" group as well. No luck there - still getting a "fail" on the NAS under Local Backups.

My next move was to try to access the "Shared Documents" folder on the PCs by creating "new share" on each PC and having made sure that permissions were set the same as mentioned above. The URLs I used were \\192.168.1.2\\shared documents and \\192.168.1.3\shared documents but still got a "fail" there too on both PCs.

Any more ideas would be most appreciated.

#16 2011-05-04 14:52:56

zaphod500

Just noticed a "typo" on above submission in 4th paragraph. \\192.168.1.2\\shared documents really only had 1 backslash between IP address and shared docs. Sorry about that!!

It's late here and I'm getting tired!

#17 2011-05-04 18:14:36

colinkhalid

Have you tried my idea of creating a share in the root of drive C ?

The URL for this location will be much simpler. You are struggling because the network path (URL) to special locations in the windows OS  are far from obvious. They were design by Microsoft to hide the complexity for the average user. This means you will have to fiddle around working out the correct path.

If however you create a share in the root of drive C then the URL is very straight forward !

#18 2011-05-05 04:08:19

zaphod500

colinkhalid - sorry for the slow response on your last posting.

I'll certainly try shifting the public folder off the desktop and into the root of drive c.

I can now see what you're eluding to here. Being such a novice at this, and being steeped in the "Microsoft Way", I have trouble understanding all the implications of local network addressing.

I guess the new URL, in my case, should look like:-

\\192.168.1.2\c:-public OR, if that doesn't work, I'll try  \\192.168.1.2\c:\public

Busy right now but I'll keep you posted on result.

#19 2011-05-06 08:56:26

zaphod500

No success to date. Neither of the above mentioned URLs worked for me.

It seems to me that my DNS-320 cannot access for backup any of my PCs and I'm thinking that, in spite of the fact the router has given it an IP address, the NAS can only be mounted on these PCs as an external drive and thus be only available to send and receive data from these PCs. It appears that, with its present embedded software,  it cannot be configured to back up files or folders using its LAN backup facility. All attempts, using the URLs shown in previous postings, have resulted in a "fail" when the URL "test" button is pressed in the Local Backups window of the NAS.

Even though I've disabled firewalls on all PCs it would also seem that that was not the problem either.

I've tried reconfiguring my network by running the "network" wizard on all 3 PCs and making sure they all belonged to the same workgroup. I've also reinstalled the DNS-320 in case there was a fundamental error there. It was setup as a DHCP client and the router address was added

Any further suggestions would be most appreciated.

#20 2011-05-06 17:20:16

colinkhalid

Don't use the c: in the URL  , try that.

The designation C: is only for use within your PC and has no meaning for network URL's

Last edited by colinkhalid (2011-05-06 17:22:18)

#21 2011-05-09 05:47:41

zaphod500

colinkhlid suggested   "Don't use the c: in the URL  , try that."

I've tried that previously without success but, at that stage, I was addressing the desktop.

Now that I've created the share within the root directory I'll try again and 'will post result later today.

#22 2011-05-10 05:47:51

colinkhalid

Also you may need to  specifying a user name and password. This is done in the Local backup web admin page just above the URL setting input. I suggest you use your windows user name and password.

Good luck

#23 2011-07-26 01:09:22

mutton44

Hi all,

Running windows 7 and have spent the evening with exactly the same problem you describe.

After a few hours of clicking about, find this post, and more clicking about. I kicked myself when I found this....

In 'Network and Sharing Centre', go to advanced sharing settings (on left). Turn OFF 'Password Protected Sharing'.

Only lets users with account and password on comupter accesss it. I assume this is set on by default for security reasons?

Anyway, seemed to work for me!

Hope this helps

Board footer