DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-11-12 09:02:34

dropadrop

New DNS313 problems

I just picked up a DNS313 on Friday, popped in an old 400GB drive (formatted ext3 previously) and started it up. I can hear it reading the disk, the disk light is burning and network light blinking but it does not get an IP-address from dhcp. After waiting for about an hour I took out the disk, put a 80GB drive (formatted NTFS) inside and pressed the reset button. Again the same thing, for the 3 hours I was patient enough to wait I can hear the disk head moving around, but nothing. I then tested connecting it to my notebook and manually setting my IP-Address to the same subnet it uses for failover and restarting the dlink, still nothing.

So I thought that maby it wants to do a surface scan for the disk before getting an ip-address, and left it running for the weekend... I'm now back at the office and it's still making disk access sounds and there is no further progress...

Any ideas? I tried downloading the manual from dlink but just get ftp-timeouts. Maby there is some kind of magic involved that I can't think of?

#2 2007-11-12 09:17:57

craft
Website

Re: New DNS313 problems

1. install your HDD
2. Start the CD
3. Use the Wizard on the CD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 x DNS-320
1 x DNS-325

#3 2007-11-14 09:45:14

dropadrop

Not the easiest thing to do when you have a mac... But I managed to get it running by using a windows virtual and running the cd on it. Anyone know what is causing this (it not being accessible before the cd initiates the device)?

#4 2007-11-14 17:26:35

craft
Website

Yes, the problems is at the first time (first install) you shoud have a PC with Windows (forget linux and Steve Jobs).
The Easy search program on the CD, first find the device on the network, second : format the HDD in the device, third : install the linux
files - after this you can use the DNS-313.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 x DNS-320
1 x DNS-325

#5 2007-11-14 17:33:17

HaydnH

As a Linux user I just plugged my 323 in to the network, checked my router's attached devices list to see what ip address it was assigned and used my browser to access the web server of the 323 (can't remember what port it is but the label on the 323 tells you the port number). Is the 313 setup different from the 323?

#6 2007-11-14 17:39:25

dropadrop

HaydnH wrote:

As a Linux user I just plugged my 323 in to the network, checked my router's attached devices list to see what ip address it was assigned and used my browser to access the web server of the 323 (can't remember what port it is but the label on the 323 tells you the port number). Is the 313 setup different from the 323?

Probably, as my 313 did not get an ip-address before using that application. I first put it on our company lan and watched the dhcp log, it never appeared. I then connected it to my notebook and assigned an ip-address to the notebook from the network it defaults to (this works fine now that the device has been initialized). When none of this worked I found an old Linksys switch and used that, it never appeared in the dhcp table.

Even the reset button did not work before the device was initialized!

However I'm still having problems getting samba to work properly with osx, with the windows virtual it's fine (I set up another thread for that).

Board footer