DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-10-16 17:46:53

RobK

Arghhh. Drive wiped :(

Been very happy with my 323 (for what must be nearly 2 years now), upgraded it to 1.05 Firmware yesterday, everything fine.

I've been using a single, EXT2 formatted drive in the right-hand slot.  I've got the latest fonz ffp installed with subversion, lighttpd and ssh.

Today I plugged a new 1TB drive into the LHS, rebooted, logged in:
"New drive, do you want to format the drive?".

It listed the new 1TB Samsung (as well as an option for Raid 1 which I left unticked), so I clicked yes.

Big mistake.

Primary drive (RHS), wiped out.  700gig gone.

Fortunately I have a back of most of the data, but suffice to say I'm not amused.

Not sure if it's a firmware bug or something else, in retrospect I should have removed my primary drive, booted with just the new drive in (to get it formatted) then put my primary drive back in.

Gah.

#2 2008-10-16 22:36:01

knireis

Re: Arghhh. Drive wiped :(

RobK wrote:

Not sure if it's a firmware bug or something else, in retrospect I should have removed my primary drive, booted with just the new drive in (to get it formatted) then put my primary drive back in.

Gah.

Sorry to hear, but your right, best thing is to remove the first drive when adding a second. It has been said quite a few times on this forum.

#3 2008-10-16 23:47:43

RobK

Indeed - I only swing by here every now and then so either missed it, or forgot it.  C'est la vie.

Just another 24 hours of restore to go.

#4 2009-03-15 18:55:43

bkmtan

man this happened to me and what a bummer

does anyone know how to retrieve the data after being wiped by dns 323? i've since plugged out my drive from the bay and am looking around for solutions, is anyone able to help me this poor soul over many years of data?

#5 2009-03-15 20:41:29

luusac

bkmtan wrote:

does anyone know how to retrieve the data after being wiped by dns 323? i've since plugged out my drive from the bay and am looking around for solutions, is anyone able to help me this poor soul over many years of data?

There was another thread about this a while ago - somebody was trying out software to restore files after a format - search for that, I am not sure they had much success though

#6 2009-03-16 12:39:10

uyuni

Same happened to me a fortnight ago. When the disk was 70% formatted I glanced at the DNS323 realizing then that the wrong LED was blinking! Aargh! A quick pull of the power cord helped nothing :-(

I had a backup (of the most important data) that was a month old so it wasn't a disaster but nevertheless extremely unforunate.

When the drive is re-formatted, the file meta-information (inodes) is overwritten so it is extremely difficult to restore files.
I used photorec (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec) to recover some files that wasn't included in the backup. Photorec (and similar tools) works by searching for data patterns in the files thus identifying their type - it can only recover a certain set of filetypes. It yields a lot of false positives so be prepared to open hundreds or thousands of files that are plain garbage. In my experience: the smaller the file, the higher probability of recovery.

I didn't try any other tools because they cost a lot of money! - the trial versions only search, they cannot restore.

D-Link DNS-323 firmware 1.08 + Samsung HD203WI + Samsung HD103UJ + ffp-0.5 + addons

#7 2009-03-17 00:11:31

7oby

bkmtan wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you. I don't understand the ext2 filesystem well enough, but it seems you can't recover large files. See e.g. here:
http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic. … 094#p24094

Board footer