DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-07-18 00:41:58

Filtertip

94%

Has anyone managed to get to the bottom of the 94% problem?

I have a DNS-323 with two Western Digital 500Gb WD5000AAKS in it.  I have tried firmware versions 1.2 and 1.3 but irrespective of the software version, formatting the drives results in the format stopping at 94%.

I have:

upgraded & downgraded the firmware and formatted the drives (resulting in the format stopping at 94%),
deleted the partitions by putting the drives in a Vista PC and then returning them to the DNS323 box and formatting them (reached 94% and stopped),
partitioned the drives on a Vista PC and then put them into the DNS box and formatted them there (reached 94% and failed),
downgraded to 1.2 and repeated the process (reached 94% and failed),
upgraded to 1.3 and repeated the process (reached 94% and failed),
nipped round to the neighbors, borrowed their shrunken heads and bones, performed the ritual chanting and the dance (reached 94% and failed)

and

phoned D-Link, spoke to a guy in Bangalore by the name of George who told me that the drives I have are not approved and that I should buy some better ones.

However, I have just ejected the drives while the box is running and tried a format.  Rather oddly, rather than reporting a drive error, it went through the motions of performing a format and reached 94% and failed...

Therefore, I am assuming that the problem is with the box and not with the drives - that the problem is consistent across different firmware releases and that I cannot figure out any more than that with the level of knowledge that I have and/or the lack of a sacrificial blonde maiden.

Therefore, I throw myself on the mercy of the assembled cognoscenti and wizards (why did they name it DNS?) and appeal for some assistance...

Cheers

Mik (Yup - a different Mik)

#2 2007-07-18 01:00:53

KRH
Website

Re: 94%

format them in a computer or set the disk to format as a raid or some other then your are trying in now.

First user to fun_plug the dns-323.

#3 2007-07-18 02:36:24

Tack

Ummm -
this isn't the problem with a popup blocker that we have met before? I know it sounds simple - BUT have you disabled your pop up blocker? Some reports that it actually completes the format, BUT tries to "popup" to tell you so you never get the message... apologies if that's not it big_smile

Tack
Canberra
Australia

#4 2007-07-18 14:05:36

Filtertip

Success!

I started the format from another machine and it completed.  The machine that didn't work was running Vista Home Premium with IE7 & One Care, the machine that did work was running XP SP2 with IE7 and Norton.  Both had the popup blocker disabled.  The only notable difference was that on the XP machine I got an OK button after the format and on the Vista machine it stopped responding at 94%. 

I have just upgraded to 1.03 firmware and repeated the process and the same thing happens - works fine on XP/IE7 fails on Vista/IE7.  I will have a dig around and ee if I can find out why.

Cheers

Mik

#5 2007-09-11 22:22:30

w00

Running a CH3SNAS here, firmware 1.01.

Formatting the HDD from XP and OSX both stop at 94% ! i dont know if they stop or if the display is just not refreshed, since it takes some time after that point to get access to the CH3SNAS (maybe it reboots?).

Weird thing, this 94% bull

cheers

#6 2008-06-27 07:08:37

SpectralDesign

I just responded to this same issue in a different post, so I'll summarize how I reformatted my pair of drives which had been configured as RAID 1 to a pair of individual disks despite this 94% error (and despite not having any other SATA hardware with which I could fdisk the drives)...

1. backup your config, then do a factory defaults restore.
2. remove both drives, and place the "left" drive in the right slot (leave the other disk out for now)
3. power-on and format as individual disk, then power-off
4. insert the other drive in the open bay, then power-on
5. format the "new" disk as an individual disk
6. et' viola!  both formats completed properly and the system was back in working order.

#7 2008-06-28 06:38:12

retread

I had the same issue, and resolved it differently.  I don't think it has anything to do with the pop-up blocker setting.  Read the thread I posted recently ( format hangs at 94%....) and the reply by bq041.

In short, deleting the partitions seemed to help me to re-format.

#8 2008-07-03 05:42:43

leftkidney

this is sorta off topic but helpfull with this kinda problem

I run SpinRite 6 on level 4 on all my drives before I use them to determine if there are any problems with the read/write

if there is a problem like a suspect sector it will prevent formatting by most means if the drive cant write to that sector of the drive and hang at that point (obviously thats not the problem here since others have had it stop at the same point, but...) and spinrite can swap these sectors out for spare ones and the drive will work fine

yea it takes like 20 hours to run spinrite on a 1TB drive but it is worth it to determine that the drive can read/write to every single sector on that drive, there is really no other way to find this out other than writing and having it not work

#9 2008-07-04 06:04:38

retread

This issue needs to be made a sticky!

#10 2008-07-05 17:12:29

micmac

SpectralDesign:  your approach worked great for me.  I had initially configured the box for RAID1 but after reading through some of this forum I decided to go with 2 separate disks (+ rsnapshot).  But then I ran into the 94% issue.  So thanks for bailing me out.

#11 2008-07-08 02:59:16

curmudgeon

My experience with DNS-323 RAID format stuck at 94%

Executive Summary: Resolved by changing firmware 1.5 to 1.4 and/or setting Config Inactivity Timer to 90 min
I changed both before the successful format, so I can't say which one (or both) is the shizbit.
I had changed firmware before without any success, so I'm leaning towards the Config Inactivity Timer...

Here's the story:
out of box July 08 DNS-323 firmware was 1.4
installed Samsung SP-F1 1TB drive in left bay - format and test - OK
i glimpse an identical drive sitting around idle (doh!)
decided to build RAID-0 - tossed it in right bay and proceed to format
gets stuck at 94%
upon restart it claims the drives are reversed and i should switch them (wtf?! i think but obey)
next restart says same thing (WTF?! i say aloud so i switch them back)
next restart - disco - it's working but the experience leaves me.. unsettled
doh! this reminds i should've looked for new firmware (hey, i was drunk and high - back off)
changed firmware to 1.5 without issues
though not necessary, i then decide to reformat because of the whole 94%-drives-reversed thingy
RAID0 format gets stuck at 94% again
subsequent restarts yield only the 'format drives' screen (which you can skip over btw)
JBOD formats yield independent disks (WTF?! i scream)
i hit these forums and see swaps, re-format w/PC + firmware change etc etc.
didn't have PC w/SATA at my disposal but tried
- swap
- single format + swapped bay single formats
- firmware to 1.4 and back again
still no joy - format independent worked but JBOD weren't one drive and RAID failed

finally, without swapping drives or using PC to reformat

**  in [Tools]->[System] tab
**  set “Config Inactivity Timer” = 90min

and also

**  i changed the firmware from 1.5 to 1.4

restarted and confirmed “Config Inactivity Timer” = 90min after firmware change - it held
attempted RAID-0 format and ...
DISCO! - 100%
rolled firmware up to 1.5
no issues since

--> Suggestion:
--> Perhaps someone with this issue could try changing ONLY the Config Inactivity Timer
--> and report their experience here, eh? EH?!

cheers

#12 2008-07-08 15:53:03

skydreamer

I hit the very same issue head on and can shed some light on it now.

The old DNS-323 RAID1 750GB was getting full so I used this opportunity to upgrade to the brand new Seagate 702.11 1TB AS disks.

After pulling out the old disks, plugging in the new set, which was factory formatted, I have tried to build a RAID 1 and no surprise- the format stopped at 94%.
I know that some of you waited for extra 15 minutes but this is not necessary. Once the disks stop spinning you can pretty much pull the plug and declare the disk format unsuccessful.

I have tried everything that was recommended before- deleted the partitions, swapped the disks, restored factory defaults, used the reset button,  formatted the disks individually (again 94%) and the best I could get was two individual volumes after the 94% RAID1 format.

Being under time pressure I had no choice but to copy the funplug setup from the old RAID1 750 GByte array using a linux PC and one of the old 750GB mirrored disks. If you ever needed it, the following set of commands starts RAID from a single attached former enclosure disk and mounts it onto a Linux PC:

mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level 1 --raid-devices=2 missing /dev/sdb2
mount /dev/md0 /mnt/source

The D-link disk was attached to the PC as /dev/sdb, make sure that /dev/md0 is not in use on your Linux machine and /mnt/source has to be created first.

Then I simply samba mounted on the same PC the new D-link enclosure:
mnt //ip_address_of_the_DNS323/volume_1 /mnt/target

and copied the ffp directory from /mnt/source to /mnt/target plus the funplug script file.

After restarting the D-link enclosure and gaining access to the DNS-323 I have dismounted the second disk:

umount /mnt/HD_b2
umount /mnt/HD_b4

and recycled my PC command:

mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level 1 --raid-devices=2 missing /dev/sdb2

You cannot dismount /dev/sda since the funplug is running from it and it would need a modded script detailed elsewhere.

After restarting DNS-323 I had no more telnet access to the enclosure and after a bit of investigation I found that previously copied ffp directory and the funplug script have vanished. The biggest surprise however was awaiting on the status page were suddenly the two individual volumes disappeared and instead there was a degraded RAID 1 array.

So I copied the funplug setup again and restarted the appliance, got telnet access to this D-link box of tricks and found what I expected,
cat /proc/mdstat
revealed RAID1 running with only /dev/sdb2 in degraded mode.

Hence a simple fix:

mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sda2

started the whole rebuild process:

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sda2[2] sdb2[1]
      974133312 blocks [2/1] [_U]
      [==>..................]  recovery = 13.7% (134029056/974133312) finish=141.2min speed=99157K/sec
unused devices: <none>

Note the rebuild speed of 100MBytes per second, you can get this if you pull out Seagate's default SATA1 jumper from the connector block at the SATA connected disk side.

I do not expect any more hickups at this stage although I lost access to the web interface. It does not bother me much, the interface will most certainly come back after the rebuild is finished and the unit was restarted.

In conclusion I have no idea why a couple of clean Seagate disks fail to create a RAID array but it seems to me that the only predictable path is to hack it from the command interface. And I strongly believe that this issue is a bug in firmware, which would be worth fixing.

-SD

Last edited by skydreamer (2008-07-08 15:54:05)

#13 2008-07-08 19:27:03

skydreamer

A short update- the RAID 1 is working fine as expected after the rebuild.
To copy the content rsync comes handy:

rsync -rlptDv --delete /mnt/source/ /mnt/target >/home/rsync/rsync.log &

I am getting approximately 400MBytes per minute over NFS.

#14 2008-08-30 17:57:13

GaMerZ

curmudgeon wrote:

Executive Summary: Resolved by changing firmware 1.5 to 1.4 and/or setting Config Inactivity Timer to 90 min
I changed both before the successful format, so I can't say which one (or both) is the shizbit.
I had changed firmware before without any success, so I'm leaning towards the Config Inactivity Timer...

- snip -

I can confirm this works for me. I tried 1.05 with 90min Config Inactivity Timer and it does not work. Reflash it back to 1.04 and with 90min Config Inactivity Timer, it works.

Running RAID 1 with 2x WD 1TB HDD now.

#15 2008-10-25 12:20:11

klodj

I had the 94% problem with IE (firmware 1.04), but Firefox worked fine.

#16 2008-10-25 12:53:51

klodj

I had the 94% problem with IE (firmware 1.04), and the Config Inactivity Timer set to 90min.  Everything worked fine when I switched to Firefox.

#17 2009-03-30 15:13:07

Correz

I am reasonably certain from my own experience today that when the drive stops at 94% (it did for me numerous times on a WinXPSP3 system with IE7, Firefox 3.0 and Firmware 1.06 (Revision B), that the unit is waiting for a restart.  I did this by holding the front button in immediately after it sat 'waiting' at 94%, waited a few minutes for it to shut down (initially it didn't appear to be doing anything; but like most Linux NAS' it takes its time!), and then restarting with the front power button.  I was able to reformat twice using this procedure (once JBOD, second time RAID1) just to test it out, and both times it had stuck at 94% before I did the forced restart.  It would make a LOT more sense if the whole process was software based instead of using an horrendously idiosyncatic browser based interface (!)

#18 2009-06-11 22:26:50

res

I came across this problem, too, and found success (thanks to Correz' suggestion), and it did not involve rolling back or installing different firmware...

I posted my success story here: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic. … 203#p30203

#19 2010-12-24 05:02:11

pinion

Using 1.09 I still got this problem.  I went down to 1.07 but it did something else screwy.  Bumped it back up to 1.09 and set the timeout to 90 minutes and it worked like a champ.  Not even doing raid this time since I lost everything anyway.  I'll have to back up to an external and to the "cloud".

Last edited by pinion (2010-12-24 05:02:28)

Board footer