DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-03-28 08:56:41

chado3

Format 94% Problem

Hi all,

I've pretty much had it with this damn machine.  First I lost a HDD which about 30% of all my kids videos of his first year, and now I've upgraded to 1TB drives and they won't format properly.  I've tried to format them to RAID 1 but they just sit at 94% no matter what I do.  I've tried the different browser trick, Mac OSX Safari and Firefox, nothing, XP IE7 and Firefox, same issue.  I adjusted the system timeout to 90 mins and nothing.

This is pretty pathetic, if this thing can't even format a drive, what use is it?  It's pretty much a paperweight right now and if I can't find a solution, then I'm putting this piece of crap up on craigslist and buying something else. 

If there's no real solution for this that anyone knows of, then please give me your best offer, I take paypal. 

Thanks,

#2 2009-03-29 04:36:51

roth140

Re: Format 94% Problem

it took me 4 tries in FF 3 and IE7 to format my 3rd WD 1TB.  it finally took.  my wife was waiting to use the laptop where i had the web GUI running.  i kept looking over my shoulder at it, sitting at 94%, then i looked away and right back.... it was done.  if it hangs at 94 again after clearing cookies, give it 5-10min and check again.

sad

#3 2009-03-30 16:29:07

Correz

I agree with Chado3 that none of these changes made any difference to the 94% issue. Per my response on the 'other' 94% thread:

Correz wrote:

I am reasonably certain from my own experience today that when the drive stops at 94% (it did for me numerous times on a WinXPSP3 system with IE7, Firefox 3.0 and Firmware 1.06 (Revision B), that the unit is waiting for a restart.  I did this by holding the front button in immediately after it sat 'waiting' at 94%, waited a few minutes for it to shut down (initially it didn't appear to be doing anything; but like most Linux NAS' it takes its time!), and then restarting with the front power button.  I was able to reformat twice using this procedure (once JBOD, second time RAID1) just to test it out, and both times it had stuck at 94% before I did the forced restart.  It would make a LOT more sense if the whole process was software based instead of using an horrendously idiosyncatic browser based interface (!)

Last edited by Correz (2009-03-30 16:29:30)

#4 2009-04-01 05:24:05

chen930

hey, I just buy a new DNS323,  and I also have the 94% problem , I call Dlink and they change a new one for me.
The Dlink support confirm it is a bug of the product.

#5 2009-06-11 22:19:40

res

I was also  experiencing this problem...

● PC, using Windows XP Pro SP2 and both Google Chrome and IE8
● D-Link DIR-655 router, connected to the PC with a Cat5 cable
● Brand new DNS-323, factory firmware 1.06, connected to the DIR-655 with the included Cat5 cable
● Two brand new Western Digital WD10EADS Caviar Green 1TB SATA HDDs (OEM)

The first time I attempted to format my drives  (using Google Chrome) it appeared to work, however it did not work - I got the success screen, so I continued.  I did not Restart the DNS-323.  Volume_1 did not appear on the 'Status' screen under Device Info/Hard Drive Info, or under 'Drive Mapping' in Easy Search Utility...

I don't have any experience with the DNS-323 but didn't have any data to lose, and it didn't appear to be working properly so I tried again (using Google Chrome), but this time the format progress stopped at 94%.

I searched D-Link's own resources and found this FAQ...
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?p … %20DNS-343

I also Googled for third-party resources and found a thread (http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=767) which suggested a few things.

I tried again, but this time I used IE8... same problem.

I tried again, but this time I deleted any Cookies (as suggested, using IE8)... same problem.

I tried again, but this time I used Google Chrome after deleting any Cookies (as suggested)... same problem.

It appears as though I eventually overcame the problem... here's how I did it:

Solution:

1. Do not refresh your browser; that will only restart the format progress only to hang at 94% again.
2. Do not bother installing each HDD into a PC, formating them with the PC, and then formating them again with the DNS-323.
3. Wait until the DNS-323 format progress has sat at 94% for a while, until you think it should have reached 100%.
4. Look at the front of the DNS-323 and wait until there appears to be no action shown by the device or the LEDs.
5. Feel the top surface of the DNS-323 and wait until there appears to be no action by the HDDs.
6. Open a second browser window, go to the DNS-323 login page, login to Configuration, skip the format function and go to the Setup screen.
7. Go to the Tools screen, and under System/Restart click Restart.

Before:

● Firmware 1.06
● Selected RAID 1, entered 998 GB (max.)
● Format progress stops at 94%.
● Status screen, under Device Info/Hard Drive Info, shows Total Drive(s): 2 only.
● Drive Mapping is blank when the DNS-323 is selected in Easy Search Utility (v4.4.0.0)

After:

● Firmware 1.06
● Status screen, under Device Info/Hard Drive Info, shows a whole bunch of information under Total Drive(s): 2 only.
● Drive Mapping shows Volume_1 when the DNS-323 is selected in Easy Search Utility (v4.4.0.0)

In my case, restarting after what appeared as though the format progress failed, revealed the Volume_1 root folder and let me use the drive for the first time.  I was then able to create and delete folders within the root folder, use the iTunes server function, and use the FTP server function.

Last edited by res (2009-06-11 22:23:14)

Board footer