DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-03-25 11:33:42

cellana

What Backup Software Are You Using With Your DNS-323?

I'm interested in setting up one or possibly two backup software programs to back up my computers to my DNS-323.  I want my DATA drive backed up frequently as I work during the day, maybe once every 2 hours.  I want my OS drive backed up at least once a week.  Here's the most important thing, I don't want to have to think about it.  I don't want to worry about where I am, or connecting a wire and pushing a button, or making sure the computer is on, etc...  This is why I bought the 323, for LAN and FTP backup.  LAN backup for speed when I'm at home and FTP backup for when I'm away from home.

My C drive must be imaged, as I don't want to deal with reinstalling programs upon failure.  My DATA drive can be imaged or backed up using file copying software. 

The bundled Memeo software works fine for my DATA with the mapped network drive, but if I'm at another location, it can't FTP. 

I downloaded the GenieBackupPro software.  It actually has an option that allows you to back up to both (effectively either) FTP or a mapped network drive with the same job.  It works for my DATA drive, but Genie doesn't make images of my C drive.

I read a PC mag review that praised ShadowProtect imaging software but the "free trial" seems to be crippled.  Anybody have experience with this one?

Is anybody using a drive imaging software package that will backup to either FTP or mapped network drive depending upon availability?

#2 2008-03-25 11:35:37

cellana

Re: What Backup Software Are You Using With Your DNS-323?

additionally, is anybody backing up their DNS-323 to a remote location?  How?

#3 2008-03-25 11:49:18

jayas

Hi Cellana,

Have you looked at native backup solution?  Have a look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin … uly14.mspx

I have traditionally used, and still use GHOST 8.2 as my system drive backup tool.  Advantage is I can browse backup images easily on any system.  Disadvantage is it does not do shadowing and thus I have to boot into an alternate (PE) partition to do system backup even though I can do this automatically and unattended.

Jaya

H/W=B1 F/W=1.04; RAID1: SAMSUNG HD501LJ T166 (500GB, SATA 3.0Gb/s 16MB)

#4 2008-03-25 15:05:09

pic_micro

Try with acronis true image... it does ftp

#5 2008-03-25 15:51:04

KyleK

I had the same question a while ago, you can read about it here: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t1412-Back … ndows.html

#6 2008-03-25 22:11:18

cellana

thanks guys.  I'll try the acronis.

I did see that other post, but didn't see anybody interested in imaging software that could automatically toggle between FTP and Network drive destination depending upon availability.  I also didn't see much talk about backing up the DNS itself on this list, except manually removing/cycling drives.

#7 2008-03-26 21:49:57

Deadbeef
Website

I also use Acronis to make images of my pc's disks, but I also use file synchronisation software to dynamic updates of specific directories on several pc's.
The software checks if files are added or updated and copies them to the NAS. Just to have duplicates.

#8 2008-03-26 21:56:23

blahsome

I'm using SyncToy, a free Microsoft offering, to back up content on the DNS-323 to a external HDD periodically. Considerably more low-tech than what you guys are using, I guess. smile

#9 2008-03-27 00:23:01

fordem

Nah - I find SyncToy does an excellent job - at syncing content, which is somewhat different to a backup.

#10 2008-03-27 14:53:52

cipo80

I use SyncBack is freeware with many features...try..

#11 2008-03-28 05:36:33

Chumby
Website

I didn't like any of them!  Soon discovered rsync... much better - let the dns do all the copying for you!

http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t1150-Tuto … night.html

Cheers
Chumby

Last edited by Chumby (2008-03-28 11:29:12)

#12 2008-03-28 09:32:39

Speijk

Apple - Timemachine

#13 2008-03-28 10:35:31

cellana

Hi Chumby, any chance you can make the DNS copy itself to an FTP site instead of the other drive bay?

Chumby wrote:

I didn't any of them!  Soon discovered rsync... much better - let the dns do all the copying for you!

Cheers
Chumby

#14 2008-03-28 15:49:21

blbrown
Website

cellana wrote:

Hi Chumby, any chance you can make the DNS copy itself to an FTP site instead of the other drive bay?

Chumby wrote:

I didn't any of them!  Soon discovered rsync... much better - let the dns do all the copying for you!

Cheers
Chumby

Are you wanting to push the data from the DNS-323 to an FTP site?  I thought you wanted the data to go the other way--from your laptop to the DNS-323 running an FTP server.

The problem with using FTP is that the data (and username and password) are not encrypted and thus can be seen by anyone while in transit.  The other problem is that FTP isn't smart enough to only transfer new/changed data, so if you try to FTP a whole directory every night, for example, then FTP will send the WHOLE directory every time which could take a while depending on the Internet connections on either end.

I understand your desire to backup your whole system and your data files.  If you don't find a good off-the-shelf solution, I recommend considering a different strategy:

I have decided I'm not as concerned any more about backing up my Windows installation--if it crashed, I probably don't want to restore it from an image but instead want to rebuild the installation from scratch so it's a clean build again.  I realize this means longer downtime in the case of a crash/failure.  If this concerns you, then you could just buy one of the retail backup software programs that images your system drive and automatically backs it up to the DNS-323 when you're at home and have the DNS-323 mapped as a network drive.  This could be done weekly as you're planning.

As for backing up the data itself, I made BackupNetClone (http://backupnetclone.sourceforge.net/).  For your situation the following might work:

- setup BNC so the DNS-323 is the backup server and your laptop is the backup client in two different ways:
   - one config is your laptop's local IP address when you're on the same network as the DNS-323; this could be snapshotted every 2 hours
   - the second config is for your laptop on a dynamic IP address; run something like DNSer on your laptop so that wherever you are, the DNS-323 can find you and run a snapshot; the problem with this setup is that if your laptop is behind a firewall (that you don't have control over) then the DNS-323 won't be able to reach your laptop in order to do the backup; hm, the more I think about this the more I realize it would be a deal-breaker

So in the end, I guess BNC probably isn't the right thing for you.  I almost cancelled this post, but someone else might find it useful...

#15 2008-04-01 23:03:20

cellana

I've looked around and tried different backup software now and have found a few things.

For simple file backup, Genie Backup, Memeo, and Second Copy 7 all backup nicely to the DNS over FTP or LAN.  I believe that only Genie Backup can have a job that will backup to either the FTP or LAN.  With the others, you would have separate jobs.  However Genie Backup saves the files in such a way that you need Genie Backup to view them.  I like Second Copy 7 because it replicates the directory structure on the backup device and you can browse the files with windows explorer.  I've found that after the initial backup, the incremental updates go so fast, that just setting up an FTP job is fine.  Memeo does this also, but it buries your backup in a bunch of folders and is not flexible in its scheduling.

For drive image backup, there is no perfect solution that I can find.  ShadowProtect, Paragon, and most others don't support FTP backup.  Acronis True Image does support FTP backup, but it requires a lot of user interfacing.  for example, you first have to manually make a full backup, then you can schedule incremental backups, but then you have to manually do another full backup if you want and you have to delete old backups on your own.  ShadowProtect allows you to specify how many copies you want to save, you can independently schedule full backups and incrementals, and it will delete old backups for you. In otherwords, you set it and forget it.  I like shadow protect better than any other drive image program i've used. Only problem is no FTP.  Maybe I can get by without the ftp for my drive images or maybe I can get some software that will map my dns323 ftp to a drive letter.  Maybe Acronis makes a more expensive version with better scheduling/automation options.

Board footer